Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smorkle

Lady gets robbed after posting on facebook that she is leaving her house for the evening...

OMG! I heard on the news this afternoon that a lady's house got robbed after she posted on her facebook that she was leaving for a date that evening. the robber was actually someone on her facebook friends list!!!

she had a video camera running and got a recording of the entire robbery! (she had the recorder on because her house is for sale and at a previous open house, someone broke a glass and so she had the video recorder set up - just fyi)

so she posted the video on her facebook account and asked people to see if they recognized him. someone was able to identify him and she has notified the police!!!

apparently, there are websites out there that monitor status updates to check and see if people are out of town or out of their houses and post them on their websites for everyone to see!!! that is so scary!!!!

everyone should check their privacy settings and be cautious about who they allow on their friends list.
just like we are cautious of who our friends are in real life, we should be more careful about online friends as well. on my facebook account, i have different categories i stick people in with different privacy settings for each.

that is horrible!!!!

apareantlly, my grandma is always at home, so i dn't think they could rob us that easy... and i checked from my fake profile, people on my ''pet'' list don't see my status updates, and my wall AT ALL.
on that list are people that i don't know in real life, or that i'm not sure who they are.
then i guess i'm safe? Smile

Oh scarey, thank goodness she was able to capture it on tape! I actually saw in the news that facebook is in works of setting up a gps of where you are when you post your status... WHY?? WHY??

This is why I very rarely update my status on facebook and if I do talk about a trip or something it's after it's happened! Not before I leave.

I cannot stress enough how important taking proper facebook security measures is...

Lets hope this experience is a big wake up call for facebook and facebook users!

tweet~i don't know if those sites can still see your status or not but at least strangers on your frenz list can't. that is smart to separate them out.

myladyyawo wrote:
Oh scarey, thank goodness she was able to capture it on tape! I actually saw in the news that facebook is in works of setting up a gps of where you are when you post your status... WHY?? WHY??

This is why I very rarely update my status on facebook and if I do talk about a trip or something it's after it's happened! Not before I leave.

I cannot stress enough how important taking proper facebook security measures is...

Lets hope this experience is a big wake up call for facebook and facebook users!

really?? gps? that is really scary! yeah, i'm going to think twice about what i post now. sometimes when i'm on a trip, i'll post something about it, but now i wont! eeeekkkk!!!

OMG this is like so scary because im forever posting things that im doing on my FB. I always tell people that im going out for the night =/. im really really worried now.

To be honist tho....This person has got to have told someone where she lived or posted pictures up of her house because how else would the robber of known where she lived?.

Its still really freaky tho. im going onto my facebook now and checking my privacy settings and am going to start deleting people i dont know cause i dont want this to happen to me......iv just got to find out how to change my privacy settings now =/ LOL

A friend of mine posted the news video on to her facebook... I believe I mentioned it in another thread. It's so scarey... I don't understand why facebook would not make it's site more secure vs more available to track others.

I am not sure if it had anything to do with it, but FB recently started sharing info with Google ..... there is a way that you can set your rpivacy settings so that outside websites can't get info about you ... I can't remember what it is .. Sad If anyone is interested, I will go find out for you ....

some people list their home address and home phone numbers on their profiles. i've caught a few of my friends doing this (of course i told them to remove it).

that is probably how they knew where she lived.
we really have to do everything we can to protect ourselves.

I hate it when people put their mobile numbers on their FB.
There is really no point in it....Unless you want some freaks ringing you up and bothering you all the time.

i think they do it cuz i remember when facebook first started we only had access to the real people we knew in real life since they were contacted via our address books...

it just really freaked me out!!

xPink.Pixel.Princessx wrote:
I hate it when people put their mobile numbers on their FB.
There is really no point in it....Unless you want some freaks ringing you up and bothering you all the time.

i do get FB texts, but i didn't share it with other people... noone sees it in their adress book (i hope so!! i think i set it that way.. could someone check it? Ashamed )

I will not post when I leave, but most of my status things have been quotations and other such stuff. We also have a neighbor who seems to know everyone's business, so this place is like Fort Knox.

But, still, it's a good idea to not post too much personal info on Facebook, whether the address is hidden or no.

omg... i can't believe such things gonna happen when its your friends on ur list....O.O

Tiddly Winks wrote:
I will not post when I leave, but most of my status things have been quotations and other such stuff. We also have a neighbor who seems to know everyone's business, so this place is like Fort Knox.

But, still, it's a good idea to not post too much personal info on Facebook, whether the address is hidden or no.

oh, that's good that you have a neighbor that knows what's up.
around here it's sad...honestly, i don't even know the names of the people that live next door to me!!! ....i'm going to work on changing that!!

mimimouse wrote:
omg... i can't believe such things gonna happen when its your friends on ur list....O.O

it's so sad!

The guy drives me nuts, but living in an apartment building does have it's advantages. The hard thing with this guy is when he speaks German, he mumbles and I don't understand a word.

yeah, that would drive me nuts too! LOL

i'm off to bed hun. goonite-morning to ya!!