Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kiviern04

Going to quit smoking cigarettes on June 1st

I've been smoking for some time now, and me and some colleagues are going to quit together come June 1st. I have a plan in mind, but just thought I would ask my fellow psfc pals if they have any advise or recommendations of how to survive through this Smile...thanks for reading and your thoughts

lollypops Laughing

I quit smoking about 8 years ago now....and the thing I missed the most was the physical act of smoking. so I used to have a lolly pop (sugar free of course) then I still had the hand to mouth action

the other thing is when you cravings get really bad, brush your teeth or eat an orange...I'm sure you wouldnt want a cigarette after you have done these things, and even though you have quit...your brain will still assosiate the taste of the toothpaste or orange with not wanting a cigarette so it helps the craving go away.

I'm sure you have heard of this one...but put the money you would of spent on cigarettes into a glass jar ( you need to be able to see it) and set yourself a goal...something you really want...and then use what would of been your cigarette money to buy it

Good luck to you...its not easy, but it is very doable...and you will feel 1000 times better when you have got them out of your system

Let us know how you are getting on

I've never smoked ..so can't really help you, but good luck. Let us know how you get on x

good luck to you hun! My mum has just quit and she is doing so well. she is doing a little bit the same as what Lea said, she chews on the plastic cigarrette tube thing to help her get through.
I dont know what its like but it must be hard, i wish you all the best hun
xxx

i'm soooooo glad you are quitting. i'm really proud of you guys for wanting to quit and doing it together!!!

i've never heard of the brushing of teeth and oranges. sounds like a good idea! you'll have the brightest smile!!

smorkle wrote:
i've never heard of the brushing of teeth and oranges. sounds like a good idea! you'll have the brightest smile!!

when I was quitting I phoned the quit smoking help-line the govement set up and this is one of the best bits of advice they gave me Laughing

Its a brilliant idea to quit in a group, the hardest part when i quit was that my partner and my best friend were smokers, and so had to be around them all the time Sad

that is so much harder when people closest to you are still doing it. you should be so proud that you've quit for so long.

i never started cuz my dad was a chain smoker for so long i hated the smell of it.
i wish our government set stuff up like that too, but our system is different.

I absolutely will try the sugar free lolly pops, brushing my teeth more and eating oranges...
needless to say, i may have to buy thousands of them lollypops, seeing that my kids will want one everytime i have one...lol...
and the money in the jar...what a great idea....thanks so much lea for the tips...
Thank you audrey, stephanie and jeanie for the encouragement...I will definetly keep you all posted....

I used to give my parents sugarless gum to try and get them to quit. Here's hoping you can. Sugarless gum is a very good thing.

Best of luck to you.

they do have some help lines and web sites to help with quitting, but i haven't checked them out just yet...it is on my to do list this week.
My one downfall, is that a really good friend of mine is a chain smoker, and on my days off, i go to her house after i drop the kids off of school and have coffee and cigs with her...and we vent about husbands, kids and life...i am going to have stay away from her, and i am really bummed about that part...but i have to stay strong, and if she is a true friend, then she will understand why i have to stay away

kiviern04 wrote:
they do have some help lines and web sites to help with quitting, but i haven't checked them out just yet...it is on my to do list this week.
My one downfall, is that a really good friend of mine is a chain smoker, and on my days off, i go to her house after i drop the kids off of school and have coffee and cigs with her...and we vent about husbands, kids and life...i am going to have stay away from her, and i am really bummed about that part...but i have to stay strong, and if she is a true friend, then she will understand why i have to stay away

instead of going to her house...try and go out for coffee or go shopping or something...somwhere where she is unable to smoke..that way you can still spend time together

sounds like a plan...
we just made plans, actually, for the day I am quiting, to get our blood drawn together...lol.... this aught to be interesting... it is going to be a real test...cause, seriously, she smokes like a chimney... probably 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day...so, she will definitely smoke right after we have our blood drawn and in the car too... argh
hopefully, she will understand, and wait to have it after I am gone from her. Thanks for the tips lea and all the words of encouragement. I will keep you all posted

My husband and I quit together 1 year ago. We got a prescription from our doctor for something called Chantix. It worked great! Neither one of us have smoked since.It does not put nicotine in your system, it actually blocks it from your brain.We both have smoked for 30 + years so for it to have worked is a miracle because we have both tried numerous times.I even got hypnotised once. Check with your dr. and see if he can give you a prescription for Chantix.It's a shame it isn't over the counter yet.I highly recommend it.I wish you all the luck in the world.You can do it!!

Best of luck Kivie.
Another thing you could try and ask your friend to do is meet up for a walk so you can get some fresh air, vent about life while you're walking, and get fit at the same time Smile

Will be thinking of you today, stay strong, one day at a time.

Good luck! I quit too and I feel better now

Haha joke!!!

Agne wrote:
Good luck! I quit too and I feel better now

Man, you really had me tricked there.

haha i already started to be afraid for you Agne Laughing
don't joke with this

I've never really smoked but I have been addicted to tobacco (when I wasn't much older than Agne as a matter of fact), so I can sympathize. Smile

All I can tell you is that if you chew those nicotine gums, you might just get addicted to those instead, so not a good idea. LOL. Good luck!

Best of luck! The best thing to do is keep your mind busy and your hands busy. If you and your friend are together and do things like talking and exercising together ,it will make the journey much better!

best of luck!!!

Oh dear...Smoking is so bad for you.

Iv never smoked in my life and i never will..

You have my FULL support on stopping.....and everyone at psfc will be here for you too.

Goodluck on stopping...I know you can do it!!