Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xPink.Pixel.Princessx

Another massive warning to everyone! Dont be fooled!

Iv just heard this on the news.... And looked it up on todays news website and this is what it says!!!

Facebook users are being targeted in a scam that offers them a chance to install a "dislike" button.

The scam tricks users into allowing a rogue application to access their profile page, which then posts spam messages.

It also attempts to lure people into completing an online survey, for which the scammers are paid money.

The social network already offers a "like" button that allows people to rate other user's comments and posts.

Graham Cluley of security firm Sophos said it was the latest in a series of "survey scams" that included links to a video purporting to show an anaconda vomiting up a hippo.

"One thing we commonly see is that the message starts 'OMG, shocking video'," he said.

"And they appear to come from your Facebook friend, giving it a ringing endorsement."
Unknown apps

The dislike button scam prompts people to download an application with the message: "Download the official DISLIKE button now."

When users click on the link it prompts them to install a rogue application, which does not function as a dislike button.

Once a user has given it permission to access their profile, it updates the user's page with a link and a message: "I just got the dislike button, so now I can dislike all of your dumb posts lol!!!"
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

We always encourage people to not click on links that appear suspicious - even if posted from a friend”

End Quote Facebook spokesperson

"Many people are giving permission for completely unknown apps," Mr Cluley told BBC News.

The surveys appear to be from genuine companies, he said.

"As far as we can tell, they appear to be legitimate," he said. "It could be that the firms are not policing their affiliates properly."

The scam finally points users towards a Firefox add-on that installs a "dislike" button.

Mr Cluley said the add-on also appears to be legitimate.

Ron Sharpp, CEO of FaceMod, the maker of the add-on, told BBC News that his company was "in no way affiliated with the online scams".

He said the firm had been sent "several support e-mails" asking about the surveys.

"In response, we've taken efforts to remind our users that those are not official posts and warning users not to download any version of our add-on from an alternate source," he said.

In addition, the company has issued a warning via its Facebook page.

A spokesperson for Facebook said it also regularly warns users about rogue applications.

"We always encourage people to not click on links that appear suspicious - even if posted from a friend," a spokesperson said.

The site has a "very quick process in place" to make sure that links and rogue applications were taken down quickly, they added.

"They can report any posts to us. We can make sure that we take down any application or all of the links across Facebook."

But Mr Cluley said that although Facebook could respond quickly, it should police the development of rogue applications more closely.

"Anyone can write a Facebook app - these scams are constantly springing up," he said.

I have a friend who cant remove from her profile a link for watching a video, she deletes and then again appears

thanks for letting us know...
i would have totally clicked the dislike button!! ba ha ha ha!

sinenomine wrote:
I have a friend who cant remove from her profile a link for watching a video, she deletes and then again appears

oh no!!!

I know...I saw it going round a few days ago and i was like OMG!! A dislike button...Then i started hovering over it....and somethng was telling me in my head not to do it....and something else was just wanting me to click on it!!

Like an guardian angel/devil situation.....You know when you see it on the adverts and they have an angel one side and devil the other haha! Madness

If facebook were to add a dislike button then they would install it on everyones account, not tell you to download it

I have seen a lot of links that keep appearing on friends facebook accounts which they have no control over...the main one is something about 'watch this video 83 % couldnt!' or other videos which are basically meant to shock people. Therse are basically scams, and once you click on it (you dont even have to click on like) it will keep reposting itself on your profile, and there is not a fat lot you can do to remove it

As always, if in doubt. DONT CLICK!!!!

whoaa, thankyou for warning, sarah..
i'm surprised
so everyone should be carefull with their facebook account now.

Guest Guest

yes i've seen this also,my friends added it but i didnt Smilecongratulations

lea75 wrote:
If facebook were to add a dislike button then they would install it on everyones account, not tell you to download it

Exactly. There was also a lot of scam pages for changing the colour/background of facebook profiles a while back which lots of people seemed to join....... but if facebook was going to let us change colours and stuff then they'd notify us and we wouldn't have to add any apps and then invite our friends to get it to work.... *rolls eyes* (that's always a good giveaway that it's fake!)
Damn scammers ruining things for people! Ok that's my rant for today Laughing

I received this message on facebook, it is crazy like a professional would misspell all these words and use a little smile after every sentence wow people will try anything to rip you off. first off if she knows I am a loyal player why does she need to verify the account 2nd of all if playfish people can send say pink birthday kitty right to us then you do not need a e mail or password to send Playfish dollars either this person was dumber than dumb. just please be careful
even friends I had from day one try to scam when desperate.

August 16 at 5:52am
hi! im Kristian Segerstrale the vice president of playfish if yuo dont believe google my name in the net Smile ok, so our company observed that you are very good especially you are a loyal pet soceity gamer. In return we would like to award you with 10000 playfish cash Smile we need your email and password to verify your playing pet society Smile just send it to my account then post "done on your wall" thank you Smile we hope to get feedback right away Smile this is for free
playfish inc.

OMG that is just too funny. Playfish would never ask people for their login details. They have said as much on their official forum and even in the message regarding the loading of the game.

What some people would do. I'm going to block that person from my facebook.