Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kiviern04

Anyone use GIMP???

I downloaded the app, and OMG..it has soo many options...and believe me...I am such a noobie to this photo shop stuff...but it looks way cool and I wanna learn.
I got the video tutorials online too..and I've watched some youtube videos that have helped a bit, but i felt like i was getting more confused by the minute....
Therefore, I am watching the tutorial videos.... one by one...
Just thought I would see who else uses GIMP for their photoshop creative genious, and if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear from you...
I may post a few questions as i go along... before i pull out my hair
Thanks for reading and posting.... to ya'll for your support

I used to use it a lot but tend to use photoshop more these days

If you have any specific questions, post away and I will try to help, I know there are others in here who use it as well so will be able to help

i know i said i would do it before, but i really will this time... Ashamed
i'll download gimp again and we can work on it together..

I do a bit of gimp...

1 thing to know for sure before you try anything!!!!!!!! ADD AN ALPHA LAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and you'll probably need more than 1 gimp window open to make the graphics...

I only managed to make a few single things... nothing like letters or pop-ups or mixing... simple copy pastes and a few letters on the pic...

here is what i made Smile

fallin10.jpg

fallin11.jpg

iiizii10.png

the 3rd one was the most tricky...
The background are pics from the internet and i added a few things.. on the 3rd one i changed the color on the back too!!!

total for those where... 3-5 hours!!!!!! and i was trying for weeks to learn more stuff in the past!!!!

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

lea75 wrote:
I used to use it a lot but tend to use photoshop more these days

If you have any specific questions, post away and I will try to help, I know there are others in here who use it as well so will be able to help

Thx Lisa..... I will definitely be askin ya'll ...before i go completely Mad

smorkle wrote:
i know i said i would do it before, but i really will this time... Ashamed
i'll download gimp again and we can work on it together..

u so silly smorkle..... OMG.... i absoltely LOVE your avatar, .... IT ROCKS
and u silly willy nilly.... u don't have to download it...but just listen to my bickering as I learn, is great help...I even think there is animation...but i know that is WAY out of my league at this moment.

@ LUCKY STRIKE> those pix u made are AMAZING.... i totally love em...the MB"s are terrific...
but 3-5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG.... is that what I've gotten myself into....

ok....guys...gotta do some family gigs... .then i be back for more torture oops...I mean more learning THE GIMP

you were right for the torture part!!!! Laughing

Well.. as i see it you have to click on everything to learn!!!! always save and do duplicates before you move on in case anything goes wrong... once you do it once it's easier the next time... and after a couple it's a matter of minutes... but until that point... TORTUREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And please let us know of your progress and how things are done so more of us can learn! Laughing

uggg...what is an alpha layer???
and i want to do animated pics so badly!! i think gimp is my only solution since i only have PSE8. boo!

the alpha layer mainly is the grey area behind a pic Smile If you want to add more things (ex. lisas avatar) in gimp you'll be needing it!!!! it's basicly transparent... I know that we have to use it in gimp... I had PSE8 too but it was sooooooo difficult...

As for the animations... Maybe a couple of our memers can help out congratulations

i think you can do animations in gimp right?? i have to do it! must MUST do it!!
i so want smorkle and edward to be all sparkly!!! tee hee hee!!!

if you find out how please let us knowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congratulationscongratulationscongratulations: D:D congratulationscongratulations

I wish i could make a buffy (show) one... Sad

for sure i will share with everyone. maybe i can make some sort of tutorial!!! ba ha ha ah!!! that'll take me at least a year!!! LOL!!!

ohhh yeah!! spooky could make everything glitter!!...but i really want to learn so i gotta just hunker down and figure it out.

maybe gaia can help!!! remember in the find the item comp where she used water under the chest??? I'd dieeeeeeeee to learn that!!!!!!!

This is sooo exciting.... we all are going to play the click/point/create game...woot woot...we all are on a mission from "Hideeni"

To make animated picture in GIMP...

1) Create each slide, also known as frame, in a different layer..

2) Once you've got all your slides, you are ready to optimize your layers.

3) Press Filters, then Animation, then Optimize (for GIF)

4) You've got your animated picture!

5) If you would like, change the speed of the animation. You see where they layers are in the layers, channel, paths box? There, you will see something like 1000ms. So, just change the value of ms, and you will be set.

6) Save your file in GIF...that's the only one that works when posting on forum with animated picture..

hope that makes sense, if not, just ask me questions.

kiviern04 wrote:
This is sooo exciting.... we all are going to play the click/point/create game...woot woot...we all are on a mission from "Hideeni"

what on heaven's sake are you saying???? Laughing

Mangoberri wrote:

5) If you would like, change the speed of the animation. You see where they layers are in the layers, channel, paths box? There, you will see something like 1000ms. So, just change the value of ms, and you will be set.

6) Save your file in GIF...that's the only one that works when posting on forum with animated picture..

hmm... and how do we know which thingy in the pic will become animated?? and which animation will it be?? do i make any sense??? Ashamed

awesome...mangoberri.... thx a bunch....

and @lucky... I don't know what i am talking about...i am just blabbering

Lucky Strike wrote:

Mangoberri wrote:

hmm... and how do we know which thingy in the pic will become animated?? and which animation will it be?? do i make any sense??? Ashamed

When you optimize your pictures, the WHOLE file is going to be optimized..so all the layers will be animated according to your sequence. It will just be a simple blinking one..like this:
 welcom11.gif

Sorry..that was the only animated thing I made that I could find..

i see what you mean Smile so this mainly applies to letters Smile if for example you want moving wings it's more tricky! tee hee hee

kivie: figured as much LaughingLaughingLaughing
love ya!

Lucky Strike wrote:
i see what you mean Smile so this mainly applies to letters Smile if for example you want moving wings it's more tricky! tee hee hee

kivie: figured as much LaughingLaughingLaughing
love ya!

eh, same thing if you want to do it for wings.

i just couldn't find any other thing..

Man...this is taking me forever.... I haven't even gotten through a quarter of the videos yet... i got the brushes part...and ended up downloading WAY too many brushes...LOL...now i just have learn how to use them....
still don't know what layers is all about, but i'll get to that tomorrow, i suppose....
sheesh....this is exhausting...but i can't wait to make stuff....
oh boy oh boy....
good night all for now....

Mangoberri wrote:

OMG twinny!!! thank you for posting this!! i'm gonna try it....

kivie: forget the videos... tryo to figure out what each thing do and then try to find a specific video for what you need Smile It's gonna take forever to see then all and will not remember a single thing.. Smile

i used GIMP to make signatures for forum and i used it to edit some of my pictures too congratulations

i found it great that we can enter text with the fonts we want and can have two layers, one smaller on top of the other so that the bigger appears like a border.. you can move the smaller layer too so that it appears 3D congratulations

smorkle wrote:
i think you can do animations in gimp right?? i have to do it! must MUST do it!!
i so want smorkle and edward to be all sparkly!!! tee hee hee!!!

"when i have understanding it right you will have the pick to start moving ore something like this?"

i have only use Gimp because i cant find out of all the other but i havent do anything animations in gimp but i have do all the pick in gimp and so i have uset a nother app to animate it in

Mangoberri wrote:

ohhh i havent see this post before i read my maby becasue my internet is realy bad today and broken down every time i try to writh ore do some thing but im realy happy to read this because now i nowe i dont need to use tow app to do it but only use gimp lol thank you again

xPink.Pixel.Princessx wrote:
I cant stand GIMP. Id rather use photoshop. Its much much more easier to use in my opinion =D

lol i just thing it different from people to people what they thing it is easy because i cant understand photoshop but i understand gimp

xPink.Pixel.Princessx wrote:
I cant stand GIMP. Id rather use photoshop. Its much much more easier to use in my opinion =D

Well, Photoshop CS5, the newest version costs lots of money, and GIMP is free, so I rather learn something with a little less features than pay for something that has more features..

Mangoberri wrote:

so are you supposted to create the next image in the same window?

Guest Guest
i only know how to use Photoshop and open canvas.

i tried gimp before.. i was so confused so i removed it XD

im realy dont understand it when i do it i will not be animated

smut wrote:

Did you press playback to see your animation?

Mangoberri wrote:
smut wrote:

Did you press playback to see your animation?

ohhhh maby it is there because i cant remeber about i do it ore not i may try again maby tomorrow

My current avatar and my siggy are my first GIMP creations....now... stop at me...cause I am totally myself....

And it still takes me hours.... just to resize it.... I know with time i will get it, but man... i was reading over what you guys are saying to make animations.... yup...maybe i'll hit that topic in a year .... Ashamed
hope ya'll are learning and getting the animaions down...good luck