Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

Anime Recomendations.

Okay, here's the deal, I was never into anime at all. Now I am actually getting into some verses of it and thought I'd start a thread about it.

It started with My Neighbor Totoro, which Kokonee got me into. I mean, the cat bus is just the coolest thing.

Well, yesterday while we were at the grocery store, Sven said that he'd buy me a DVD as a pre birthday gift. So I went through the cartoon DVDs and found one called 'The Cat Returns'. It's put out by the same people who put out Totoro and I loved it. Now I'm reading fan fiction about it, and ordered the English DVDs of both it and Totoro. (They are only in German here).

I guess the old addage of the films only having those terrifyingly frightening big eyes is false. This stuff is really good and the fantasy is just wonderful.

Guest Guest

Thats great news to hear! Laughing Cat bus is awesome..

the ones i'd recommend would be Howls' Moving Castle and Spirited Away, along with any other films made by Miyazaki.

most other animes though do have some blood if you don't mind, but have some captivating stories. basically the blood is there for realism/sadness/etc. i can name a few if you'd like to know. but also if you can describe any specific type of genre and such you're looking for that'll help too.

OMG I LOVE MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO!! I love all of Hayao Miyazaki's films

My favourite is "Laputa", you will love it Tiddy congratulations its also called "Castle In The Sky" over here in the Uk. Also there is "Whisper of the Heart", "Porco Rosso", "Nausicaa" and there are so many others that are each as fantastic as the last.

There are other anime series too that I would highly recommend like "Outlaw Star", "Inuyasha", "Escaflowne", "Rumbling Hearts"....omg i could name loads lol

They are great, I will be getting more, there's an English film distributer here that I recently found and can order them through Amazon. I'll keep your list at close hand and will get them. I really love these movies. I ordered, Whisper of the Heart yesterday with Totoro and The Cat Returns, so will hopefully have them soon.

I am going to give the German versions to my mother in law. I think I got her hooked on Totoro. congratulations

Miyazaki is a legend, but ive heard that he might be closing Studio Ghibli soon because apparently he isnt making much money anymore Sad which would be such a shame if he did. I think he said he is going to make one more film and if it flops he is shutting down Sad

I know Sad its such a shame, his movies had such a massive impact on me when I was growing up, Laputa came out the year I was born and its always been my favourite Sad I wouldnt have got into Anime and Manga films if it wasnt for him Sad

I would like to recommend "Kino's Journey" and "The Twelve Kingdoms". congratulations Both of those have fantasy elements.

That's probably the same with me. I wasn't a fan at all, didn't like the big eyes (they creeped me out). Through his work I came to realize that not all anime is like that. I have lost count on how many times I've watched Totoro. I love it so much, and never grow tired of it.

I think it's the one film I could watch again and again and Sven doesn't come out and say 'Are you watching that again???' The film is that good. I looked up Castle in the Sky and will definitely watch it. Laputa was the name of the flying island in 'Gulliver's Travels', one of my favorite satires, so I will definitely look into watching that one.

I'll add yours to the list, Hina. Smile

Guest Guest

omg Steph, Outlaw star might be too much for Tiddly to handle Laughing Inu yasha is fun but it's DEADLY long. Laughing if you're looking for more shorter films or movies.. i would suggest Princess Mononoke which is by miyazaki as well but i'm sure it has blood. it has a very engaging story though.

Here are my suggestions tiddly:

Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Cat Returns
Porco Rosso

i think they are all by Miyazaki as well, who also made Totoro, so you'll prob love these too.. congratulations

Other Miyazaki film's are definitely a must watch. Oh, and if you're watching kiki's delivery service, the kitty in the show looks like the ps 2008 black kitty, it's so adorable.

and i second hinapasha's recommendation for "Kino's journey". I would also recommend "The girl who leapt through time" and "Natsume Yuujinchou".

You will love it hun, I made Dan watch it against his will lol and afterwards he said it was great congratulations

The Borrower Arrietty is the next film he is making and possible the last unless its a hit

Guest Guest
Gaiamaiden wrote:
@Riuna: Outlaw star is perhaps more adult but its excellent congratulations

it is! my friend loves it. i'm more into adult anime's myself so i don't think i'll be suggesting those..

Tiddly Winks wrote:
I'll add yours to the list, Hina. Smile
Yay! I'll try to think of some romance type animes also.

I definitely am a romantic at heart.

wow, so glad I started this thread. Smile So many great recommendations. I'm psyched.

I tried racking my brains for romantic anime. Laughing But these are a few that came to mind. "Voices of a Distant Star" ( a movie), "Nodame Cantabile" ( a hilarious romantic comedy), and "Princess Tutu." "Princess Tutu" is a "magical girl" anime but it is so wonderful assuming you have nothing against ballet or fairy tales. Laughing "Voices of a Distant Star" I haven't actually seen, but I have read the manga so I know what it's about. And "Nodame Cantabile," I watched some of the episodes, but then I stopped watching when I couldn't find the rest on youtube or whatever. I have to finish it one of these days. Ashamed

Miyazako makes the most awesome movies! I cannot decide which of them I like the most, but Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are among my all-time favourites.

hinapasha wrote:
And "Nodame Cantabile," I watched some of the episodes, but then I stopped watching when I couldn't find the rest on youtube or whatever. I have to finish it one of these days. Ashamed

I watched all of them. It's funny, but the main characters are veeeeeeeeery weird Laughing

Ursula wrote:
Miyazako makes the most awesome movies! I cannot decide which of them I like the most, but Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are among my all-time favourites.

hinapasha wrote:
And "Nodame Cantabile," I watched some of the episodes, but then I stopped watching when I couldn't find the rest on youtube or whatever. I have to finish it one of these days. Ashamed

I watched all of them. It's funny, but the main characters are veeeeeeeeery weird Laughing

I love them! Chiaki and Nodame both!

I actually love ballet and fairy tales, so that sounds really great. I have several of the Barbie movies which fall into that genre (the ultimate cheese I know, but I had barbie dolls growing up and love how they use computers for animation). So, these kinds of movies don't give me hives, in other words.

Omg!! I love Totoro and the Catbus!!! congratulations
Last month there was an exhibit at the children's museum of Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro!! And other neat stuff about Japan.. But yeah, Totoro is like Winnie The Pooh to little kids in Japan. ^w^ I love alllllllll his movies! Watch them all! 5 times each!!

Here are some pic of it! Also these are life size, like if Totoro and the Catbus were real! Get this, Totoro is only 5'7''! congratulations
 catbus10.jpg catbus11.jpg totoro11.jpg totoro12.jpg zrando10.jpg
Just click on the image to make them bigger!
Also so I think that would freaking awesome to watch Totoro in German. I love Deutsch, I wish I knew more but you don't get that far only taking 2 years worth.

It's really great in German. I actually watched it last night in Japanese with German undertitles. It was very cool.

Those pictures are awesome.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!
I just love Miyazako's films! I have a small Totoro carrying a package of acorns. We've seen: Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Nasacca...haven't seen Castle in the Sky yet. Just loved them all!

PS Aren't a bad influence on Tiddly Winks? congratulations

I only watched Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon and some two girls (one in black and one in White) dunno the name. I heard there is an aNime Deltora Quest. I never watched but I read the books (Novels) ANd I founf them really fun to read.

I think we're a bad influence on each other, Stas. Smile

Oh how cute, I didn't see that when I visited you. I guess you were afraid I might swipe it.

I do have a little shadow guinea pig in Happy Pets that I named Totoro. congratulations

I just got The Cat Returns and Totoro in English. I am in heaven. One name...Cary Elwes. That voice,...that character.

Okay, he's a cartoon, but somehow the voice makes the character all the more endearing. Wow...I was thrown for a loop when I watched it in English.

Just bought Kiki's Delivery and Castle in the Sky. Castle in the Sky is only in German, but Kiki is actually in both German and English. Horray!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby and I have been watching the Mushi-Shi series on instant watch through Netflix. Mushi are a life form that not everyone can see, and Mushi-Shi is a "Mushi master" who travels around helping people out with the sometimes troublesome Mushi. From Wikipedia;

Mushishi (蟲師?) is a manga series written and illustrated by Yuki Urushibara, published in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine from 1999 to August 2008.

The manga was adapted into an anime television series in 2005. The Artland production was directed by Hiroshi Nagahama. A live-action feature film adaptation, directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, premiered on March 24, 2007.

The Mushishi manga won an Excellence Prize at the 2003 Japan Media Arts Festival and the 2006 Kodansha Manga Award.

I just finished my first Cat Returns fan fiction. Please check my facebook page for the url, or PM me for it. It's a family friendly story, but since not all stories at the site where I post aren't, I will not include a url here. But if you need it, I shall provide.

Totoro is one of my favorite anime! I loved it as a kid and i still do.

an anime series i really enjoyed was Ouran high school host club.
it doesn't have anything to do with fantasy, but it's funny.
if you happen to watch Ouran and like it, i would also suggest Atashin'chi, if you can find it with subtitles.

if you like the barbie cartoons and ballerinas, you may like Princess Tutu.

Just watched Howl's Flying Castle...and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

That and Spirited Away are really amazing movies.

I'll have to get Princess Tutu, though. I heard it was really good.

HAve you ever watched Detective Conan (Case CLosed Englsih version). It is my all time favourite Anime and cartoon.

Hi Luka! Detective Conan is also one of my favorite anime ... its cool on how he solve all cases that they encounter ^_^

earon09 wrote:
Hi Luka! Detective Conan is also one of my favorite anime ... its cool on how he solve all cases that they encounter ^_^

I think it is my favourite anything on Television. I love listening to engings and openings. This is my favourite opening

and ending