• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piper

York Fair bound, David Cook talks about those new song snippets

SOURCE

York Fair bound, David Cook talks about those new song snippets
September 15th, 2009 Posted in Uncategorized

David Cook performs at the Major League All-Star Home Run derby earlier this year. (AP Photo)David Cook fans are all abuzz today.

Someone discovered 30-second snippets of 11 songs many fans had not heard before on the Cherry Tree Lane Music Group Web site.

On Twitter, Starryskies80 declared that “it’s like Christmas morning for all of us.”

Referring to one of the new songs, — “Maybe Tonight,” I think — Makeover_girl says that you a musician “is amazing when, through 29 seconds, a song can make you cry.”

LoveForeverKay plans to attend a David Cook concert tonight at the Allegan County Fair in Michigan, but was having trouble getting ready because all she can do is listen to the new snippets. And librarybunny says: “Holy moley … leak of unreleased David Cook song snippets has pretty much thrown my whole day out of whack.”

And everyone, I mean everyone, seemed to be begging for full-length versions of the songs.

Just by chance, I happened to be interviewing David Cook today since he’s headed this way to play the York Fair Friday night (go here for ticket information). So I had to ask about those new snippets.

David said they “weren’t meant for public consumption.” (In fact, they appeared to have been taken down by late this afternoon.)

But folks won’t have to wait too long for new David Cook music. Plans are under way for album number two.

Here’s what David had to say about the song snippets.

Check back later this week for the full interview, including what he said about plans for the new album.

Idol Chatter: So, I’m on Twitter today and it sounds like some new song snippets were released. Can you tell me what happened with that?

David Cook: “I don’t know that they were released. I think someone just found my publisher’s Web site, and they’ve got stuff up there.”

Chatter: So that wasn’t a planned release of any sort.

David: “No it wasn’t. Those songs are all kind of real rough demos, songs that may never see the light of day.”

Chatter: Were those songs that didn’t make the first album?

David: “Some of them, yeah. Some of them were songs from before Idol. Some of them were songs that didn’t make the cut for the record. Sort of a hodgepodge of a lot of things.”

Chatter: Have you checked Twitter to see what people are saying about them?

David: “I haven’t. I’m not sure I want to know. They’re really rough demos.” (Told that the reaction is unanimously positive, David laughs). “Well, I guess that’s a good thing.”

Chatter: One thing fans keep saying is, “Please, give us a deluxe version of the first album.” Any plans for anything along those lines?

David: “We’ve kind of had some casual talk about it, but so far, nothing firm has come up. I’m not opposed to it. I just want to make sure if it’s done, it’s done the right way. I imagine if it’s going to happen, the ball should be rolling in the next couple of weeks.”

I LOVE the last part!! We want a deluxe CD, David!
Quote :
Chatter: One thing fans keep saying is, “Please, give us a deluxe version of the first album.” Any plans for anything along those lines?

David: “We’ve kind of had some casual talk about it, but so far, nothing firm has come up. I’m not opposed to it. I just want to make sure if it’s done, it’s done the right way. I imagine if it’s going to happen, the ball should be rolling in the next couple of weeks.”

What's with asking for a deluxe version of DCTR? scratch
Personally, I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather:

A) Live album / DVD
and/or
B) NEW album of NEW music.

Yeah, I'd much prefer a live album or DVD or new music over a deluxe version of DCTR. Unless that deluxe version had 5 or 6 new songs, but that's kind of wishful thinking.

A) Live album / DVD
and/or

Me too !! Please!Fingers Crossed!!!WooHoo!!

@Piper wrote:

David: “No it wasn’t. Those songs are all kind of real rough demos, songs that may never see the light of day.”

If they are rough demos...I can imagine the final versions would probably kill me...

0:30 of Maybe Tonight almost did it !!!

@Piper wrote:

A) Live album / DVD
and/or

Me too !! Please!Fingers Crossed!!!WooHoo!!

Me three! Especially the live DVD/album combo. I don't want that. I NEED it.

FYI, the song snippets thread has been moved to the mod folder for discussion about legality and such.

Hopefully we will return it up here soon.

I'm sooo glad I got to listen to the snippets before the thread was moved! Very Happy They all sounded so amazing!

GAAAH!!! Where were these snippets and why didn't I see/hear them??!?! Pulling hair

OMG, I can't believe I missed out on something like this!! Damn my job in the f'ing boonies with no internet service!!!

Guest Guest
Apparently I have a thing for rough David! I love the less produced sound of those demos.

GAAAH!!! Where were these snippets and why didn't I see/hear them??!?! Pulling hair

OMG, I can't believe I missed out on something like this!! Damn my job in the f'ing boonies with no internet service!!!

Jamie,
I've just sent you a PM!!!

Why did I not listen to the snippets when I had the chance.??

And, why did I think I would have plenty o' time to do so.????

*kicking self in the ass*

I was at work and couldn't listen before they were taken down. Crying non-stop Are there at least lyrics or something still up?

Was David upset by the release of these 'snippets'? He didn't seem to be in the interview, but I suppose it's difficult to tell only because he is always so easy-going. I didn't have the opportunity to listen and I would love to hear anything that we haven't heard from David before, but if he prefers that these cuts be held under wraps, then I would respect his wishes. It would kill me, but I would!

@cimorene wrote:
Um, I'll take a new album of old, previously unheard music, too! Just sayin'.

I'm kind of with you. I'd LOVE a live DVD but if they put out a deluxe package with some new music, namely some of the tasty tidbits we were teased with today, yeah, I'm down with that too.

I HEARD THE SNIPPETS AND DAMNNN.....

He doesn't think they are any good? The man has no idea how much we love his music or how good he is. If that is rough version of those songs, me likey. VERY much.

A deluxe version could mean a live version, with all of the amazing rearranging and changes. I could handle that. But I really want some of those snippet songs in there too! They were amazing, but some of them I didn't want to end, and they ended soooooo soon.

A couple of weeks? GAH, he's trying to kill us again. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

The snippets thread is in limbo until we find out if it's okay to put it back up.

Cherryl Lane posted the songs at another links - I think they maybe have David's authorization now...
Maybe... scratch

@Piper wrote:
The snippets thread is in limbo until we find out if it's okay to put it back up.

Cherry Lane posted the songs at another links - I think they maybe have David's authorization now...
Maybe... scratch

When you search writer David Cook at the Cherry Lane site, only the songs that he co-wrote that were on the album show up. The direct links to the songs themselves work, but they are not listed under David's name so we can only think they are not for public consumption unless we hear otherwise. And so any links or lyrics posted will be removed.

But for those who got the songs before they came down, it's okay to talk about them.

We are not sure, but we believe based on his interview David himself did not want us to hear these unfinished recordings and we will respect his apparent wishes. He did want us to hear Souvenir and Honest and so he played those in concert. If he wanted us to hear the others, I have to think he'd sing them for us.

@Piper wrote:

Cherryl Lane posted the songs at another links - I think they maybe have David's authorization now...
Maybe... scratch

When you search writer David Cook at the Cherry Lane site, only the songs that he co-wrote that were on the album show up. The direct links to the songs themselves work, but they are not listed under David's name so we can only think they are not for public consumption unless we hear otherwise. And so any links or lyrics posted will be removed.

But for those who got the songs before they came down, it's okay to talk about them.

We are not sure, but we believe based on his interview David himself did not want us to hear these unfinished recordings and we will respect his apparent wishes. He did want us to hear Souvenir and Honest and so he played those in concert. If he wanted us to hear the others, I have to think he'd sing them for us.

Stacy,
we can open a topic to discuss the lyrics at the Music & Lyrics DC Style Section ???

GRRRRRRR I didn't get the chance to hear them either but like stacy said if they were meant to be heard we would of heard them . So i'll just wait to hear them when i know its OK

The more I think about it, the more I think David does not want us to hear those snippets or see those lyrics. Because the links were removed. But more-so because he has been playing Honest and Souvenir for us. He wants us to hear those, with the refinements he's made to them. If he wanted us to hear the others, he'd sing them.

What's making this so awkward now is, as someone who luckily *did* get a chance to hear & see everything before it went away, I really do want to talk about them. As with all David's music, there's just so much that's amazing there, and analytical type that I am, I want to dissect it. But now it's kind of like I heard this "secret" of sorts, and I don't know if I can say anything. Or if I should.

I don't expect DC to address the leak publicly, and I don't really think he necessarily should... I think this interview kind of covered all the bases... but I wish he would, just so I'd know what was OK, you know?

Sorry, just angsting. I've had a crappy day.

@Piper wrote:
@Piper wrote:

If they are rough demos...I can imagine the final versions would probably kill me...

where the f**k are those 30 seconds?
i am totally lost as always
i want to listen it

please..... help me

@Piper wrote:
@Piper wrote:

where the f**k are those 30 seconds?
i am totally lost as always
i want to listen it

please..... help me

I've just sent you a PM !!!! Wink

@cimorene wrote:
What's making this so awkward now is, as someone who luckily *did* get a chance to hear & see everything before it went away, I really do want to talk about them. As with all David's music, there's just so much that's amazing there, and analytical type that I am, I want to dissect it. But now it's kind of like I heard this "secret" of sorts, and I don't know if I can say anything. Or if I should.

I don't expect DC to address the leak publicly, and I don't really think he necessarily should... I think this interview kind of covered all the bases... but I wish he would, just so I'd know what was OK, you know?

Well, if he really wanted us to suppress the info I think maybe he would have said something by now. ? He could have said in the interview or a tweet or blog or something, "Please ignore the songs behind the curtain." LOL Face

We're seriously contemplating putting the thread back up. No one has asked us not to. No one has indicated it's anything close to illegal. David has said nothing.

@cimorene wrote:

Well, if he really wanted us to suppress the info I think maybe he would have said something by now. ? He could have said in the interview or a tweet or blog or something, "Please ignore the songs behind the curtain." LOL Face

We're seriously contemplating putting the thread back up. No one has asked us not to. No one has indicated it's anything close to illegal. David has said nothing.

I don't know Stacy. He sounded like he didn't want them heard and they were pulled. Glad I'm not a Mod. Of course this is all easy for me to say since I have them on my IPOD now. I don't have a music sharing thing though. Tough decision. I'll just say that 30 seconds isn't enough. I almost wish I hadn't heard them cause it's like being teased. You know, what you don't know can't hurt you kind of thing.

I keep going back and forth with arguments for and against sharing the music in my mind - it's a Ninja Pirate Battle! in my head! Leaving me drunken

I wish David would just say something. :/

I wish he would say something more direct to. After all these snippets are already on the internet and have been saved by some quick thinkers. Nothing is safe from the Internet these days. Did DCO put them up on their site?

It's not an easy decision. I know he didn't want them heard but they are already out there, a lot of people heard them and saw the lyrics and there is no way to avoid from them getting to more and more people everyday. I think I'm with Yael on this, those songs are amazing and I really want to talk about them. But obviously I will respect any decision the mods will make.

Hmmmmmm, well there's no reason we can't talk about them, about what we think of them, as long as we don't post the links to the songs. Of course, the mods have no say in what everyone PMs each other and a number of people did download the songs...

So... I'll start a thread to talk about them. And if we decide later to put back up the thread with all the links in it, we can merge the new thread into it.

It seems - based on his words at Twitter or the Blog yesterday - that he had no intention to release these snippets - they are (as he told them) rough demos (though I must disagree of him - for me they are amazing !!!).

But now the reality is this :
Thousands of his fans had already listened to the snippets, some of them (like me) had already saved them at their computers, Ipods, etc... And the ones who haven't yet can easily have access to them by friends.

So, though it was not - originally - his will these snippets become public - now what's done is done - it's irreversible.

Maybe he need to reconsider his position about the subject. It's something he need think about.... scratch

Vsteph, they were originally posted by Cherry Lane. FoolsApril64, a mod on DCO, posted them, thinking they were OK, and thus they got onto some file-sharing sites as MP3s as well. They were all pulled later, as they were apparently rough demos and other songs that were meant to stay unpublished. Speculation is that they were the other songs DC wrote last summer for DCTR, that didn't make the cut. I agree, as Souvenir, Honest, and a song written w/Kara Dioguardi (which we knew existed) were among them.

Anyway, obviously I'm not a mod, and can't dictate policy here, but I do have my music thread on DCO, and I decided to pull the plug on the discussion of the songs. It was a really, really, really hard decision to make. But I think that quoting the post I made, with the reasoning behind it, might be worthwhile, if only to generate a discussion that might help the mods here come to some kind of conclusion, which may well be different from my own. (And if it is, well, my own participation in any thread discussing these snippets will probably necessitate some more thought on my part as well, given that I took a stance on it on DCO. But that's my own problem, I guess.)

Anyway, here's what I posted. And yeah. I really wish DC would say something about the snippets, now that Pandora's Box has been opened. Don't believe he will, but I really wish he would.

Quote :
I did a little soul-searching today (also, a little tweeting *grins*) and, much as it saddens me to squelch my urge to analyze every word & note that emerges from a certain songwriter we all look up to, I think it's only right to do so with the latest snippets that emerged recently.

It's tricky, since the source of the snippet leak lent them an air of legitimacy. But given that these songs weren't finished, and weren't meant to be published or publicized, I can empathize as a songwriter who's got plenty of words written and tunes mapped out that also fall into that category. Perfectionism may not be fun for all parties involved, but especially when it comes from an artist whose work we admire, it needs to be respected.

There are likely a multitude of reasons why those songs weren't published. I'm sure I could guess a few of them, and probably have no clue about others. In some cases, we have been lucky enough that DC thinks that they were still worth performing, and thus I can appreciate having heard Honest and Souvenir even more, now that I know they were among the songs leaked.

So, that's going to be official policy on this thread, I think. At least until such time that we hear otherwise, at least. I hope everyone understands why I came to this decision, but I think we will need a moratorium on discussing the content of these songs. Knowing that they exist, though, is obviously not something I have a problem with, as what's done is done, and we did know this information before, albeit much more in the abstract. As such, I will leave any updates to any discographies at the discretion of those who compile them.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter, except for the following:
Mr. Cook, if you're lurking? Unfinished songs from you are still worlds better than a whole slew of finished songs from most people. Sorry you had to deal with what was apparently a breach of your privacy. But should you ever think that anything else you've written that we haven't heard is ready for public consumption, we'll be waiting with our ears wide open to hear it.

Thanks everyone, for understanding. Please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns about this matter.

Based on his words of yesterday he had no intention to release these snippets - they are (as he told them) rough demos (though I must disagree of him - for me they are amazing !!!).

But now the reality is this :
Thousands of his fans had already listened to the snippets, some of them (like me) had already saved them at their computers, Ipods, etc... And the ones who haven't yet can easily have access to them by friends.

As Stacy already said at the OP, though it was not - originally - his will that these snippets become public - now what's done is done - it's irreversible !

So, maybe he needs to reconsider his position about the subject. scratch

We have opened up a thread to discuss the snippets. If David or TPTB indicate that they do not want us to talk about it, the thread may go. Either way, this is the thread to discuss whether or not we think David wants/doesn't want/doesn't care if we download and/or talk about the songs.

New Song Snippets Discussion Thread

I wonder why there were links to these songs on a public website in the first place if they weren't meant to be public? It's the world-wide-web. You don't want them out there for the world? Then don't post links. If there is something David-related out there, his fans will find it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.