• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

NEW SINGLE "The Last Song I'll Write For You" available in iTunes/Amazon

Guest Guest
ETA: The Last Song I'll Write For You is available on iTunes NOW! Excited

SOURCE

David Cook to Perform on 'American Idol' May 10 (Exclusive)
The season 7 winner will debut a new song on the show, two weeks before this year's victor is crowned.

On April 30, it was announced that series favorite and season 8 runner-up Adam Lambert would be performing his latest single, "Never Close Our Eyes," on May 17 and this week comes news that season 7 winner David Cook will debut a brand new song on the Idol stage on May 10.

Called "The Last Song I'll Write For You," Cook did indeed write it in recent months. And in what's undoubtedly a special treat for fans, it will be available on iTunes the same day as the performance, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Cook's last album, This Loud Morning, was released in June 2011.

Guest Guest
ShockedShockedShocked _________________ Thud

This song title has me thinking: I wonder if people he has written songs for even know that it was them he wrote them for? I mean, I don't know how much of what he writes is about where he is at right at that moment, and how much is reflection on the past, or what might have been, etc. Ones that are about the past (recent or far) and about the possible future, or alternate present, or anything not right here and now - do those he's written them for even know the songs are for them? And would he ever actually tell them if it was the case?

I'm reminded again of the banter before Paper Heart in York that we dissected at length in the Paper Heart thread. And how it seemed, to me anyway, that in the banter, and the one the night before, he was trying to kinda hint at who it was about, without saying it outright. Does the "star" of that song have a clue the song is about her? Was he trying to clue her in in those banters?

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have him, or anyone for that matter, write a song about me, no less FOR me. To know that that was the case. Some of his songs, like the new one FHTZ, assuming the object of that song knows it's about her, must put her on cloud nine for LIFE. And then I think that for some songs, it would be incredibly painful to find out one were he wrote it about. Or in the case of this song, wrote it for. But at the same time, to know that you inspired a song by him, even a bitter one, to know that would be something, wouldn't it? If it were me, no matter how painful I think I'd want to know. But, well, putting aside the obvious that I could never inspire David Cook to write a song about me - I'm putting myself in the shoes of people who do inspire his songs... I wonder if he ever tells anyone the song is about them? I wonder if the York PH banter was indeed something like that and if so if the girl in the song got it. And I wonder if he'd share any tidbits at the "storyteller" show this Saturday.

I'm dead here !! I'm sure - by the title - it'll be another of his masterpieces !! MeltAwww LoveThud!

Guest Guest

I kind of have a thing for angsty David. Just the title has me Excited2

Stacy, I bet that there are a lot of times that David's muse has no clue a song was written for or about them. It must be a great feeling to know that you inspired one of his love songs. I sure wouldn't want to be the person who inspired some of his angry/heartbroken lyrics.

Stacy, I have wondered the same thing. Especially about AH. Because I assume the girl knows it was about her. They say the best music is written by someone who has experienced a broken heart. But Paul McCartney has written some pretty cool music about love and being in love in a positive way. I jst think he is an amazing song writer.

Stacy, well, that's always it -- he's never going to show us all his cards, 'cause what would be the fun in that, right? I'd like to think that at least the subject of FHTZ knows it's about her. As for the subjects of the other songs, I guess that depends on how soon after the event he's writing/performing the song, and why he's writing it -- as therapy or also to send a message?

And not to be too snarky, but I've gotta wonder -- if it's the same girl who's been the subject of Paper Heart, and TLG, and We're Only Honest, and Souvenir, and Porcelain, and Stitches, etc.? (And yes, that's making the assumption that they're all about the same girl.) Then I wonder if she's thinking "Do you promise?" Wink

In any case, I'm really hoping this song is the "spit and vinegar" take we've all been waiting for. I'd like a kiss-off song that, well, ISN'T TLG. Wink

Crap, I just replied to Stacy's long post up there but in another thread. Not sure how I did that. oops.

Guest Guest

No words...... just Shocked

_________FLATLINES__________

Thud

Viv, I'll move your post over here. Sorry, I was trying to get all the discussion about the new single tidbits together, but couldn't merge all of the twitter discussion about it into this thread because this thread was created AFTER the twitter discussion began. But my long post in the twitter thread came after this thread began so I moved that one. I'll move yours now.

@cimorene wrote:
Stacy, well, that's always it -- he's never going to show us all his cards, 'cause what would be the fun in that, right? I'd like to think that at least the subject of FHTZ knows it's about her. As for the subjects of the other songs, I guess that depends on how soon after the event he's writing/performing the song, and why he's writing it -- as therapy or also to send a message?

And not to be too snarky, but I've gotta wonder -- if it's the same girl who's been the subject of Paper Heart, and TLG, and We're Only Honest, and Souvenir, and Porcelain, and Stitches, etc.? (And yes, that's making the assumption that they're all about the same girl.) Then I wonder if she's thinking "Do you promise?" Wink

In any case, I'm really hoping this song is the "spit and vinegar" take we've all been waiting for. I'd like a kiss-off song that, well, ISN'T TLG. Wink

I, too wonder if it's PH/TLG girl. But I'm not so sure she's also WOHWWS/Souvenir girl or that either of them are Porcelain/Stitches girl, lol. Could be 2 or 3 girls. Although, in the much-dissected PH banter, that girl sounds like from far enough in his past to be even back to Analog Heart.

All I know is we'll probably never know, lol.

Guest Guest
LOL flag As soon as I figure out what you just wrote, I'll respond.

Viv, I'll move your post over here. Sorry, I was trying to get all the discussion about the new single tidbits together, but couldn't merge all of the twitter discussion about it into this thread because this thread was created AFTER the twitter discussion began. But my long post in the twitter thread came after this thread began so I moved that one. I'll move yours now.

OK, so I was responding on the correct thread, but you moved the post before I hit send? Thank Godd. I thought I was losing it. lol

@vsteph1 wrote:

OK, so I was responding on the correct thread, but you moved the post before I hit send? Thank Godd. I thought I was losing it. lol

lol - no you were fine. I just pulled my post out from under your feet. LOL flag

The entire fandom like flatlines lmao!!!

That Cover Art is GORGEOUS!! love plode

I cannot wait til next week to hear this!!!!

Where was this much-discussed Paper Heart banter?

The Last Goodbye, Goodbye to the Girl, The Last Song I'll Write For You. There's defnitely a theme going on lol. I wonder if he enjoys exploration of those places and being in an angsty spot, or if he just can't let them go?

I think Kelly Clarkson is the Queen of Goodbye and Kissed-Off Pop. She can deliver them like no one else. I have said before, and I will say it again: I think if she had recorded TLG we would have heard it non-stop last summer.

In the Paper Heart thread, Chrissie. In the Music & Lyrics folder where we have a thread for every song. )

Guest Guest

Chrissie, When you put it that way, it sure seems as if David has trouble letting go LOL flag

Guest Guest
No comment!

In the Paper Heart thread, Chrissie. In the Music & Lyrics folder where we have a thread for every song. )

Thanks, Stacy!

Ahhh, Letting Go.

Perhaps this title suggests that he has finally "Let Go"? Meaning he is in a good place with someone very special now, and no longer has the need to write any more songs about the Yous from his past?

Like: Begone!

scratch

Guest Guest
Chrissie, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he's in a place where he feels comfortable with one last "FO I don't need this angst any more. I have better things to focus on".

@cimorene wrote:

Who was Paper Heart about?

We don't know. But he has revealed tidbits in banters you can find in the Paer Heart thread.

So... Am I the only one that catches the irony of the song? If he were indeed over this person entirely would he need to write just one more song for her? Maybe it is therapeutic and helping him let go, but now he will practically have to sing at every concert (because it's a single), reminding him of her?

Of course, we don't even have a single line of lyrics, or bar of music, so we could be totally off-track for all we know. It could end up being a song about Adam. It could be a tender godbye to anyone, or an angst-ridden one. It could mean he's over someone or it could be like an addiction - "this will be the last one. For real this time" and before he realizes it he reaches for thegirl again. Could be any of a lot of things at this point. Fascinating title. DYING t ohear the song. I hope we get lyrics before it's released.

I, for one, vote for the angsty FU kind of song. If you know me then you know I LOVE that style of song. Twisted Evil ...even more when I, as the listener, know who it's about because the artist said. A good FU song doesn't even have to be about a romantic relationship. Case in point: I'll Stick Around by the Foo Fighters.

Of course that would never happen with David. He likes to keep us guessing! Very Happy

I wondered if it was for someone/something other than a girl too. With Dave, you just never know. I still don't understand why he said that Goodbye to the Girl isn't about a girl.

Guest Guest
I think this has to be the longest title for a song he has ever written. Looking forward to hearing it!

Just adding my two cents worth. A lot of song writers write about a loss of something other than love, but craft it into a love song or a love lost song to make it more relate-able to the masses. Example: Didn't Neal say that Anodyne was inspired by the death of his Grandmother? That kind of personal experience would be hard for everyone to relate to if they haven't lost a grandparent; so, to make it more relate-able, Neal made it a love lost song.

^I agree with that completely. I also think that sometimes the song someone sings could have nothing to do with their life, they could've based it off of someone else's experience.

Guest Guest
@pn112 wrote:
Just adding my two cents worth. A lot of song writers write about a loss of something other than love, but craft it into a love song or a love lost song to make it more relate-able to the masses. Example: Didn't Neal say that Anodyne was inspired by the death of his Grandmother? That kind of personal experience would be hard for everyone to relate to if they haven't lost a grandparent; so, to make it more relate-able, Neal made it a love lost song.

This makes a lot of sense and pretty much sums up what I think.

IMO, although songwriters often compose based on personal experience, many times the inspiration can come from other sources. Or just reflect the mood the writer was in at the moment of writing. As Peg said, they are not always literal but can express a feeling through a love song / lost love although the subject of inspiration is not necessarily romantic love. Does this make any sense to you? LOL

Guest Guest

I read somewhere that the song is credited to David Cook / Daniel James / Andy Skib. Is this confirmed?

Excited

Who is Daniel James? Has he written any memorable song(s) that I may not be aware of? scratch

Guest Guest

He's friends with the guys. Don't know whether he's famous or has written well-known songs, Ana.

But to know it's a David and Andy collab it's enough for me Wink

Made wrote:
He's friends with the guys. Don't know whether he's famous or has written well-known songs, Ana.

But to know it's a David and Andy collab it's enough for me Wink

Oh, ok - thanks, Made. Great

Daniel fills the drums for Graham Colton and many other artists, I guess. I thought when David said it's Kyle's last gig, Daniel was going to be the replacement.

Peggy, didn't the death of Neal's grandmother inspire 'Til I'm Blue, not Anodyne? I remember relating it with the words "when you put me in the ground, I want you to be there waiting" and it gave me chills. But anyway, I totally get your point.

With that said, if TLSIWFY is about a "last goodbye to the girl" (pun intended, lol), I'd have to think he really has trouble letting go. Because when we say "I swear this will be the last time you hear from me", don't we always mean the opposite? Very HappyRazz

With that said, if TLSIWFY is about a "last goodbye to the girl" (pun intended, lol), I'd have to think he really has trouble letting go. Because when we say "I swear this will be the last time you hear from me", don't we always mean the opposite? Very HappyRazz

That is what I was trying (and failing) to say before. That this song, if it is about closing that door, it's not about actually doing it, or he wouldn't still be writing for her! It's more like declaring his intent to do so, which is not the same as doing so at all, and often means you are trying to convince yourself of it, and not really succeeding in fooling anyone else, or yourself for long.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear it!

Guest Guest
Made wrote:
@pn112 wrote:

This makes a lot of sense and pretty much sums up what I think.

IMO, although songwriters often compose based on personal experience, many times the inspiration can come from other sources. Or just reflect the mood the writer was in at the moment of writing. As Peg said, they are not always literal but can express a feeling through a love song / lost love although the subject of inspiration is not necessarily romantic love. Does this make any sense to you? LOL

What David explained about how GTTG came to be totally supports our train of thought here, IMO Wink

WATCH HERE

Guest Guest
Ooh, I like it! Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

Guest Guest
ExcitedExcitedExcited I LOVE IT!!!

Excited2

Excellent catch, Marina and thanks for bringing the link here, Barbs!!!

I can't take it off of my mind!! Excited

Yes, I'm really excited! It's my 3th post here in 5 minutes. lol

Guest Guest
LOL flag Marina! I think I'm excited as you and can't stop listening to the 3 second snippet!!!

Is it Thursday already??????? bounce

Shit! I accidentally left my headphones at home today! Can't listen to the snippet 'til I get home then. Saddest

Hmmmmm, maybe I can listen on my ipad's speaker at lunch. Very Happy There will be lots of street or restaurant background noise but that's a hell of a lot better than nothing!