Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leora

Speaking in tongues

Hello,

I was looking at that one website TruthOrTradition.com. There is a link to it from your website. It was talking about how you are suppose to interpret your own tongues. Also, that it is not suppose to be a message for the body of Christ and that most people are confused about this. The article also stated when they get confused is when somebody starts out with my children etc... and they think it's what the person spoke in tongues but it's not it's the person prophesising. I have never interpreted my own, but I've heard people do their own. The message has always been for the body. The article also said that you are suppose to start out with calling out the father's name and it starts flowing just like when your speaking in tongues. I didn't know this. Is it true? If it's a message to God and not to the body, how does it edify the body or does it flow in three parts the tongues, your own interpretation, and then the prophesising by another. Let me know what you have experienced.

Love,

Leora :banghead:

Leora,

Chew up the meat and spit out the bone. 📖

When I have had tongues come on me powerfully, I have at the same time had the spirit speaking a strong message within me. At those times, another person has gone up with their tongue and spoken in tongues and then I gave the word that I heard in my spirit.

It sounds to me like a case of six in one, half dozen in the other.

Personally, I don't think we should establish hard lines to follow. Flow in the Spirit, period. Just follow what God is saying when He is saying it and it won't matter what your mind thinks you should do because often times your mind will be at odds :duhh: with what the Spirit is saying to do anyway.

Love,

Mia

The article actually said this??? ---The article also said that you are suppose to start out with calling out the father's name and it starts flowing just like when your speaking in tongues
I just breezed through some of what he was saying... you have to be careful with some of these articles...tongues is not a forced mechanical thing! I remember my ex hating to hear about tongues because his father went to a church and they told him that it's easy all he has to do is say the Lord's prayer really fast and it's tongues! How horrible. Yes it is a bold step and when the Lord comes upon you will speak- (but 'making up' a language as the man was saying in the article) to formulate tongues is incorrect.

OH AND THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE! I actually have to lead out a discussion on tongues on Thursday!

what

Wait..........I didn't catch the part that Una is talking about at all....Would you paste an excerpt from the article here please so that we can read it?

What is interpretation of tongues? It is the companion manifestation to speaking in tongues, designed to be utilized in a body of believers, such that one proclaims in the language of those believers the meaning of what he has just spoken in tongues. Used together in a corporate setting, these two manifestations “edify the church” (1 Cor. 14:5). Properly translated, 1 Corinthians 14:13 says that anyone who speaks in tongues amidst a group of Christians should do so “in order that he may interpret.” The point of speaking in tongues in a body of believers is to follow it with the interpretation so that they are edified.

Thus we see that speaking in tongues has both a private and a public aspect to it. Privately, it is for your communion with your heavenly Father, and for your own edification (1 Cor. 14:2 and 4). Publicly, it is to be accompanied by the manifestation of interpretation of tongues, so that those present are edified and enriched by your praise and worship of God (1 Cor. 14:5).

Is it available to speak in tongues and then interpret when you are by yourself? No Scripture prohibits that, so the answer is yes, but, of course, no one else will be edified by the interpretation.

We must also understand what interpretation of tongues is not. Interpretation of tongues is not a translation of whatever tongue one speaks. The NIV is confusing in 1 Corinthians 14:2 because the translators added the word “him” (which is properly italicized in the KJV): “For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.” The NASB makes it clearer that no one mentally understands the tongue he speaks: “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.” Therefore, interpretation of tongues cannot be a translation done in one’s mind. No, it works just like speaking in tongues, as we will explain.

Interpretation of tongues is not a message from God to believers. Again, 1 Corinthians 14:2 says that “anyone who speaks in tongues speaks not to men but to God.” That’s very clear, and, obviously, the interpretation of tongues follows suit: it is not to men but to God.

Interpretation of tongues is not something that someone other than the one who speaks in tongues can do. 1 Corinthians 14:5 (“unless he interprets”), 13 (“that he may interpret”), and 15 (“I will pray with my spirit [speaking in tongues] and I will also pray with my mind [interpretation of tongues]”) make it clear that the one who speaks in tongues is the only one who can bring forth the manifestation of interpretation of tongues.

At first glance, 1 Corinthians 14:27 might seem to contradict that, but a close look at the verse shows that it says the same thing as the above verses. The NIV misses the point with its translation of “…someone must interpret.” The KJV reads: “…and let one interpret,” which isn’t much better. When we dig a bit deeper, we see that the Greek word for “one” is heis, which can mean “the same one,” and, according to the context, is how it should have been translated so that it agrees with verses 5, 13, and 15.

It is sad that the vast majority of Christians who do believe in and practice speaking in tongues and interpretation have apparently failed to grasp these last two truths: that interpretation of tongues is not a message from God, and that it must be done by the one who speaks in tongues. In many such worship services, one person speaks in tongues and another person “interprets.” And the “interpretation” is almost always something from God to the people. What is going on?

It is important to note that we can seldom go farther than we are taught. If Christians are taught that one person is to speak in tongues and another is to interpret, and that the interpretation is a message from God to the people, that is what they will believe and act upon. What then happens is that the person who thinks he is interpreting is, in fact, prophesying, because the manifestation of prophecy is a message from God to His people that edifies, encourages, and comforts them. So words from God will be there, via the gift of holy spirit, for the one who thinks he is interpreting, but what he is actually doing is prophesying.

It is unfortunate that so many wonderful Christians of such a “Pentecostal”/”Charismatic” persuasion, who do highly value praising and worshiping God, and whose services are filled with beautiful songs of praise, are missing out on the joy of properly utilizing the manifestation of interpretation of tongues. If you are of such persuasion, we hope that this article helps you to better understand this magnificent manifestation by which you can even more exquisitely extol the virtues of our great big, wonderful God.

How does interpretation of tongues work and how do you do it? It works just like speaking in tongues, in that you must open your mouth and speak, and when you do, God gives you the words. When you speak in tongues, the words God gives you are in a language of men or of angels. When you interpret, the words will be in English or whatever is the prevailing language of that particular body of believers. So, you open your mouth and speak in tongues for however long you choose, maybe 20, 30, or 60 seconds, as you are inspired—and when you stop speaking in tongues, you immediately speak the first English (or whatever) words that are “on the tip of your tongue,” and they will be there, because God is never late. Then just keep speaking the words that come to you. And you know that the words will be in the category of praise and thanksgiving to God.

If you have been taught that the interpretation of tongues is a message from God to people, and you are in the habit of doing it like that, here’s a tip that will help you more easily make the transition from speaking in tongues and then prophesying to the actual interpretation of tongues. While you are speaking in tongues before you interpret, your mind is not involved in that, so tell yourself as often as you need to, “Do not begin the interpretation with ‘My children.’ Start with ‘My Father’ or something else addressed to God.” Then your first words will be “not to men but to God,” and you will find that the rest of what you say will be in that same vein. Amen.

One key to developing your ability to utilize the manifestation of interpretation of tongues is to build what you might call a “praise vocabulary.” That is, put in your mind, and begin to use in your prayers and your speech, words of praise, worship, thanksgiving to and about God and the Lord Jesus. OK, where could you find words like that? Hey, how about the book of Psalms? Right on—it is loaded with heartfelt exclamations of God’s magnificence, His goodness, His unfailing love, His limitless patience, His abounding mercy and forgiveness, and His power to deliver His people (e.g., Ps. 8, 19, 23, 33, 47, 67, 84, 93, 96, 100, 150). Certainly every Christian has experienced at least some of these aspects of God’s heart, and interpretation of tongues helps to magnify our Father to us. Go for it.

This doesn't sound insane to me but I would have to study the verses that he has provided with the Greek for myself. When I hear something that is out of the ordinary or revelation I don't just spew it out but I don't just swallow it either.

this is interesting...when i pray in my prayer language it usually starts out with a word that sounds a lot like "Jesus"...but having to say his name first as a rule? :huh: thats kinda weird...arent we just supposed to pray as the Spirit leads us?
Daph

I think that this person is trying to say to consciously use His name first so that the person "interpreting" doesn't speak their interpretation to the congregation. Not as a rule but as a conscious thought to keep them from error. Which I dont' agree with because when I start out a prophesy or an interpretation or whatever I do it with whatever God gives me.

oh the article above is a little different to the one i was reading from the same site... I was reading this piece:
So why not relax, take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and focus your mind on the God and the Lord who love you immeasurably. Thank them for having filled you with the holy spirit, take another breath, and let it rip—speak forth words of praise, thanksgiving, and worship. And that is exactly what you will be speaking. And be BOLD—the words you are hearing are the proof that Jesus is alive and well—and that so will you be—forever! It cost him his life for you to be able to praise and worship God in this wonderful way, so get into it!

One more thing—not only will you hear the words you are speaking, like when you speak in your native tongue, but because you are not using your mind to speak in tongues, you can also listen to what you are saying—and that is why it may sound really strange at first. But so would any language you’ve never heard before.

If you decide to speak in tongues now, and it is your first time, keep doing it for a while so that you become convinced that it is real. The junk part of your mind may tell you: “That’s ridiculous, you’re just making it up.” Here are some appropriate replies (that are printable): “No way—I couldn’t make that up.” “Take a hike.” “Get lost.” “Put a sock in it.” “SHUT UP!” Just keep speaking in tongues, and eventually that part of your mind will get tired of telling that lie to you.

I don't know... I know that my tongues have evolved or grown from day one but...me thinking it is ridiculous and that I am making up never occurred...I don't know...maybe that's how some people feel...but when i got filled... I knew I was filled. It wasn't forced. It wasn't a rule...
Interesting read!

I think some people do feel that way, espeically those that don't feel a major physical manifestation with the baptism. Personally, I felt rather awkward and did wonder if I was making it up but not that I have recognized God's voice and move in the supernatural I don't doubt.

I know one thing: I tried to speak in tongues before I was filled and couldn't!!!!lol....seriously, tongues HAS to be from God because there's so much transforming and renewing power that comes from it! Yall know the scripture..."and you shall receive POWER once the holy ghost has come upon you."-Acts 1:8
-I will have to go back and read the article because this may be mentioned, but I have a question: do you guys think that some people(like those who aren't saved) can disguise tongues? In other words, I wonder if there are people who can actually fake tongues (since this is the last days and God tells us to be careful to not be deceived) Just a thought.
smooches
desiree

Yes, I believe that people can try to fake tongues. I think most people can discern especially when they are standing their going beep, beep, beep. hee hee

Just thougt I get a little funny in there! rofl

Love,

Leora

Hey!

I think I get it! When I speak in tongues, that is not actually a message from God, It's a message from the Holy Spirit to God interceding for us and then someone prophesies the message from God. I think I understand now. No wonder why we have to interpret and start out with calling out the Fathers name. It's so the church knows what is being said to God. This whole time I thought speaking in tongues was a direct message from God. I think I just had a WOW moment.

Love,

Leora 💨

"shoodda-bought-a-honda"...."tie-my-tie-tie-your-tie"...eee-call-0h-mah-hy-ah"....duh-duh-duh-dee-dee..."suh-casa-mee-casa"....I was just tryin to speak with other tongues as well!!! rofl Yall never heard those kinda tongues before have you?...I came with a NEW tongue!!Lol

desiree

Don't ask what I meant, I guess I just was thinking and typing at the same time.

Love,

Leora

bouncing

Well I had a long reply typed and LOST IT.

UGH.

This is that I believe that teaching meant:

Tongues are prayer or thanksgiving and so the interpretation will be too. Prophecy is not necessarily related to the tongues.

When the Holy Spirit's present is manifested so are people's gifts. SO the person with tongues is speaking and at the same time a person with a prophetic gift may be getting an unrelated prophecy. And because they often happen at the same time, the church has lumped them together and have confused the operation of them into being related because often when a person is giving a tongue another has a prophecy to give.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think we HAVE to start out interpretations with "FATHER" as that site suggested because their teaching may not be correct in every situation. I have had a HEAVY burden on tongues come on me and at the same time had a prophecy for the church form in my spirit. That teaching assumes that a prophecy cannot be associated with a tongue and I don't agree with that. Start out the interpretation with whatever is in your spirit and don't do anything in the flesh. Forcing ourselves to do something in the flesh (like consciously saying, Father) while trying to do something in the spirit is a bad idea. Sort of like mixing cotton and polyester.

Love,

Mia

Right. And the bible says not to mix two types of fabric or textiles or whatever as a symbol of not mixing things spiritual things or Godly things with those that are not.

I have only spoken in tongues once. It wasn't immediately after I got saved, but, as I was dreaming and praising God in my dream I woke up speaking in tongues. I was so excited. The next day I was hoping to have that same experience, but it was different. The dream I had there was a choir singing, with words written on a chalkboard, about the blood, but it didn't seem right, so I asked who was talking, and I heard a screech, and it was like the whole scene melted like film melting, and I woke up. I woke up with my heart pounding, and I haven't spoken in tongues since.

halfstep1969

This is a subject that I think will be debated until Jesus returns. I am with Mia on this one. I thought it was strange when I first started and because it didn't come to me immediately after I was saved I was a bit worried that I was making it up. But I can say this......I am not making it up because there is no way I could even pretend to speak this way. I speak in different kinds of tongues when I pray but only then.

huggies and kisses
huggins kiss

Connie
Dove Solutions

I am not sure if I really have tongues or not. When I try to speak tongues, it somes out sounding halting and I don't get many words. But when I sing tongues, I usually sing the same sounds I've made before with an occassional new "word" here and there. Is it normal to repeat yourself a lot? Is it normal to not be able to speak the tongue, but be able to sing it? I have never felt the tongue "rise up in me" like I'm bursting to say or sing it. I just try to sing in tongues in the hopes that it might really be a praise to God in a heavenly language. But sometimes I wonder if I am just making it up and singing nothing real in amybody's language.

On the other hand, I once was singing in English a song of praise I'd made up. I went to sleep that night and woke up the next morning singing the same song, but with the word "ich the nae" in place of "dwell within." It sounded Greek to me, so I looked using a translator and found that ich = I, the = God, and nae = with, so "I God with" for "dwell within." i know this is really the Holy Spirit because I didn't know this Greek to be able to make it up.

Jodi

Mia, I want to apologize to you if this is too long but I have got to voice my beliefs concerning this article. I hope it doesn’t cause me any disciplinary actions but I must say this:
All scripture references are from NLT:
What is interpretation of tongues? It is the companion manifestation to speaking in tongues, designed to be utilized in a body of believers, such that one proclaims in the language of those believers the meaning of what he has just spoken in tongues. Used together in a corporate setting, these two manifestations “edify the church” (1 Cor. 14:5).

I Corinthians 14:13-14– So anyone who has the gift of speaking in tongues should pray also for the gift of interpretation in order to tell people plainly what has been said. 14) For if I pray in tongues, MY SPIRIT IS PRAYING, but I don’t understand what I am saying. No one, not even the devil himself, understands speaking in tongues. When we don’t know what to pray for, God makes intercession, through the Holy Spirit, for us and through us by speaking in tongues that our prayers line up with His Will.

[
quote]Properly translated, 1 Corinthians 14:13 says that anyone who speaks in tongues amidst a group of Christians should do so “in order that he may interpret.” The point of speaking in tongues in a body of believers is to follow it with the interpretation so that they are edified.

[/quote]

Properly translated, huh? This is not properly translated because it doesn’t say that. It says that anyone who has the gift of speaking in tongues should also pray for the gift of interpretations in order to tell people plainly what has been said
Interpretation of tongues is not something that someone other than the one who speaks in tongues can do. 1 Corinthians 14:5 (“unless he interprets”), 13 (“that he may interpret”), and 15 (“I will pray with my spirit [speaking in tongues] and I will also pray with my mind [interpretation of tongues]”) make it clear that the one who speaks in tongues is the only one who can bring forth the manifestation of interpretation of tongues.

Interpretation of tongues is to believers FROM God. Speaking in tongues is the evidence as God gives the utterance for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers. (I Corinthians 14:22). So, is he saying that public tongue interpretation only for the speaker? If so, why would everyone need to know what God is saying to an individual? If that is the case, what should be done when God wants to edify the entire body of Christ? Should everyone speak in tongues and then one of them interprets? If God gives the utterance to the believer, who doesn’t understand what is being spoken, why would you think the believer would be able to give the interpretation (of himself) to God who is the only one understanding because He gave the utterance? Does that make any sense?

[
quote]Interpretation of tongues is not something that someone other than the one who speaks in tongues can do. 1 Corinthians 14:5 (“unless he interprets”), 13 (“that he may interpret”), and 15 (“I will pray with my spirit [speaking in tongues] and I will also pray with my mind [interpretation of tongues]”) make it clear that the one who speaks in tongues is the only one who can bring forth the manifestation of interpretation of tongues.

[/quote]

What?!...come on now. God is not a wasteful God. There is no way He would have a word (to personally or corporately edify) brought through speaking in tongues whether the one speaking has the interpretation or not. The one who is speaking in tongues may not have the gift of interpretation; but at the moment is so sensitive to the spirit of God that God used him/her. God uses whomever He wants to bring forth whatever He wants. We can’t limit God and say He can only pour out His spirit to edify the church through brother/sister so-n-so because of this or that. Nope, I don’t think so. What does I Corinthians 14:26 say? It says when you meet, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in an unknown language, while another will interpret what is said.

[
quote]At first glance, 1 Corinthians 14:27 might seem to contradict that, but a close look at the verse shows that it says the same thing as the above verses. The NIV misses the point with its translation of “…someone must interpret.” The KJV reads: “…and let one interpret,” which isn’t much better. When we dig a bit deeper, we see that the Greek word for “one” is heis, which can mean “the same one,” and, according to the context, is how it should have been translated so that it agrees with verses 5, 13, and 15
[/quote]

Is he serious?! Let him tell it, the bible should be rewritten by him. How in the world is he going to make the scripture fit his beliefs? The bible clearly states that nothing is to be added or taken away from God’s word. I mean really now…He said, “How it should have been translated.” Yeah, right. That’s not what verse 27 is talking about anyway. Verse 27 – No more than two or three should speak in an unknown language. They must speak one at time, and someone must be ready to interpret what they are saying.

It is important to note that we can seldom go farther than we are taught.

That’s not what I was taught. That’s not even what I’ve witnessed in all cases. I’ve witness the person speaking in tongues give the interpretation and I’ve witnessed one speaking in tongues and one interpret. This is unreal! Interpreting tongues is openly revealing what God is saying to His people…Sometimes IT IS A PROPHETIC WORD (most of the time? – all of the time?)

When you speak in tongues, the words God gives you are in a language of men or of angels. When you interpret, the words will be in English or whatever is the prevailing language of that particular body of believers. So, you open your mouth and speak in tongues for however long you choose, maybe 20, 30, or 60 seconds, as you are inspired—and when you stop speaking in tongues, you immediately speak the first English (or whatever) words that are “on the tip of your tongue,” and they will be there, because God is never late. Then just keep speaking the words that come to you. And you know that the words will be in the category of praise and thanksgiving to God

The words are in a language that only God understands which is why only He can bring the interpretation through whomever He chooses. Not just the one speaking in tongues.

While you are speaking in tongues before you interpret, your mind is not involved in that, so tell yourself as often as you need to, “Do not begin the interpretation with ‘My children.’ Start with ‘My Father’ or something else addressed to God.” Then your first words will be “not to men but to God,” and you will find that the rest of what you say will be in that same vein. Amen.

Doing this will take you out of the Spirit. You will be in your flesh and speaking what you want to speak. Yeah, it will be in that same vein, alright. It will be in “vain”. How are you going to feel in your spirit, “My children”, but say “My Father”? That’s out of order. God is telling you to say one thing and you’re going to take it upon yourself to say what YOU want to say?! Does that go together to you?!

Praise vocabulary?! Yes, the book of Psalms is filled with praises of those touched by God. We each praise God in our own way. I will not allow anyone to tell me that I should pattern MY PRAISE off of someone else’s. That is ridiculous. I praise God for me and it’s not for show. It’s because He is worthy of it.

You all…please, please do as Mia suggested…eat the meat and spit out the bones. I advise everyone to study the scriptures referenced in this article against the way they are actually written in God’s word.