Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yankeedoodle

bent forks?

hello all, hoping someone can shed some light on this

this pic shows the forks on my bike. obviously something aint quite right because that far fork leg is bowed forwards at the bottom!

I took the legs out and layed them down to see if they were bent, because from the first pic it looks as though the bend is quite obvious

Now i know this is far from the most accurate way of testing the forks to see if they're straight but its all I had access to at the time, and I will be getting them checked professionally if nothing comes to light

Any ideas or suggestions?

Are you sure its the forks mate from the picture it looks more like the bottom yoke has a slight twist in it tho its difficult to see from the picture
if it is the forks i use a guy to straighten them that i can fully recommend and he charges about £40

Bill

thanks bill.it could well be the bottom yoke.the strange thing is that when i built the bike originaly the front end everything looked straight.its only since i rebuilt the forks (and replaced the outers) and powdercoated the yokes that this bend has apeared.its weird and frustrating to say the least

yea things like this can really get frustrating i suppose its possible the heat involved in powder coating might have warped the yokes a bit tho i have never actually heard of this happening scratch

Bill

Matt, have you tried fitting the forks in the opposite side? I know you couldn't run it that way, but if you put the left in the right & vice versa, one of two things will happen. If the yoke's goosed, the same leg will appear bent. If it's the fork, the bent one will appear on the other side. Or if you simply turn the fork leg 180 degrees in the yoke a bent fork will "point" the opposite way. Just a thought. Smile

thanks lads, thats what i was gona do tonight.forgot to mention that i did twist the fork round 180 but it stil bent forward

mat did you pm mark,he may beable to help you out

thankyou gents

swapped the fork legs round tonight, and the far leg is still bowing outwards, so i guess it must be the yoke. really weird because it was straight before powdercoat and now its not?

bit of a ball ache cos It means i need a new one and need to fit bandit stem and bearing and sort lockstops out......again

lee, not spoke to mark yet. wanted to figure out as much as i could for myself before asking him.

theyre not bent they are just twisted in the yokes matt loosen the pinch bolts and twist them and they will be in line applauseapplauseno1

good news lads. dudeskin gave me a hand tonight and we gave the forks a good twist in the yokes. its all straightened out now! bouncebouncebouncebouncebounce

nice one matt,glad to hear ya got things sorted

Ahh nice one! Wondered what had happened with this! A simple fix that could have been very expensive.