Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

Helmet TEST (now with vid )

As some of you may know they recon that a helmet has only got a certain shelf live depending what it is made of 3-7 years, So I have a old simpsons helmet that has got to be getting on for 20 years old , so over the next few days or so (when my hands are a little better) i am going to do my own test, smack it one on top with a sledge hammer and i am going to video it so you can all see the out come, Shocked
So what do you think will happen then ????

Guest Guest
tbf good whack with a sledge hammer b a big lad would f**k up most helmets, i reckon a nice dent on top, foam deformed inside but shell and shape will be mostly maintained, then again its an old lid and standards were a bit....looser back then. probably best if u don't do it on the work surface, if you miss the mrs will go ape shite at you.

@airlock wrote:
tbf good whack with a sledge hammer b a big lad would f**k up most helmets, i reckon a nice dent on top, foam deformed inside but shell and shape will be mostly maintained, then again its an old lid and standards were a bit....looser back then. probably best if u don't do it on the work surface, if you miss the mrs will go ape shite at you.

lol Matt good point going to take it outside thumbs

Guest Guest

with head in or out hide

do a test like fill it with snow and chuck it at a wall first no1

maddog wrote:
with head in or out hide

do a test like fill it with snow and chuck it at a wall first no1

was going to get the Mrs to put it on Very Happy

open to other suggestions on testing it like maddog has just suggested thumbs

Guest Guest

make sure your insurance is up to date thumbs may get a nice payment there Twisted Evil

Guest Guest
put a melon inside it to simulate a head, for extra point draw a face on it and glue some noodles on for hair, cant beat realism in saftey testing.

Think you might be suprised, i believe it will just crack the top and the inside will stay intact thumbs yea but dont forget to do it outside Laughing

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to smash your helmet with a sledge hammer mate - I for one certainly do not want to see a video of it - makes my eyes water just thinking about it SadLaughing

should be fun dave,i had an old griffin helmet but the missus got rid of it last year must have been 30 year old not that id worn it for a good few years thumbs

I was hoping hoping to give my helmet a good pounding later, anyone want to see the video?

So what do you think will happen then ????

I think it will fall apart Laughing

Now hit a Melon with the hammer! like having no hat on yer head!

Good test Dave forward that to Ride Magazine Very Happy

Guest Guest

what a wast off a good lid Sad

good vid thumbs

fantastic!! just goes 2 show how strong they are n how much they protect ur head, ive got an old Craft had it 4 years now n its the best lid ive ever owned, only problem is the visor is scratched n its a bit tatty now but nice 2 know it will still take a good impact!!!!

Like i said dave, youd be suprised thumbs all this nonsense of replacing lids after 5year Laughing good vid one for the keepers thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Like i said dave, youd be suprised thumbs all this nonsense of replacing lids after 5year Laughing good vid one for the keepers thumbs

agree wont be swapping my 6 year old Arai anytime soon it's never been dropped etc and is inperfect nick

damn i was hoping something comical was gonna happen like in the cartoons, dodgy buider with cacked hands swinging a sledghammer at a shiny helmet on a concrete floor . damn damn damn i'll just have to snigger to myself at what could of happend.

@Grumpyowl wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

agree wont be swapping my 6 year old Arai anytime soon it's never been dropped etc and is inperfect nick

agree my 6 year old Arai is staying as well thumbs

@peejay wrote:
@Grumpyowl wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

agree my 6 year old Arai is staying as well thumbs
Dont blame you, im just terrible for buying lids for the sake of it, i should have a sort out, but cant get round to getting rid, allthough i did donate a couple of old ones to the Red Cross for training purposes thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
TEST RESULTS NOW IN

Part 1

Would agree with forwarding it to Ride magazine, if not MCN etc as well no1. Good eye opener for those that don't change their helmet after one good impact. Something all riders should watch.

i understand why you did it, but why do it on such a classic lid like a Simpson?
thats really upset me that has! Sad
You dont see many Simpson Bandit I or II's nowadays.
I could understand if it was a crappy old Craft!
heretic! fighting

@Wolfie wrote:
i understand why you did it, but why do it on such a classic lid like a Simpson?
thats really upset me that has! Sad
You dont see many Simpson Bandit I or II's nowadays.
I could understand if it was a crappy old Craft!
heretic! fighting
agree