Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bedfordbiker

Ideas of what to buy as my second bike!

I'll be passing my test pretty soon, so I'm looking for my next bike already!
I did want a CB350, but it seems they're pretty hard to come by, and actually a bit too expensive Sad

Anyway, I was hoping some of you could give me a few ideas of decent bikes, sort of around 250 - 350cc! Cool

Oh and I think I should point out that I'm not looking for one of those weird modern things - I'm really only into classic bikes from the 70's and 80's haha
Picky, I know :/

yeah I would actually love to own a 400/4! I love you

buuut I think for the first two years after I pass my test, I'm only allowed on a bike up to 33bhp or something and I'm sure I heard the 400/4 is over that Sad

The Morini 3 and a 1/2 is nice, but there's not many around these days so I suspect it'll be quite expensive!

And the 500/4 is great but I think it would probably do me good to have a couple more years experience on a slightly smaller bike before I buy a bike so lovely as that! Smile

i had one of these as my first big bike

would need it restricting but bloody lovelly bike

Good lord, a G5 Honda. Worst 250 they ever made. See, I don't think simply being old makes a bike a classic. The fact is in the 70's & 80's (and I was there) we had a lot of shit bikes. When I think back to those atrocious disc brakes and bamboo frames I blanch at the memory of how I used to ride them. Why we aren't all dead is a miracle!

Happy hunting Bedford Smile

Good lord, a G5 Honda. Worst 250 they ever made. See, I don't think simply being old makes a bike a classic. The fact is in the 70's & 80's (and I was there) we had a lot of shit bikes. When I think back to those atrocious disc brakes and bamboo frames I blanch at the memory of how I used to ride them. Why we aren't all dead is a miracle!

Happy hunting Bedford Smile

nothing wrong with the g5, m8 of mine had one and thrashed it to within an inch of its life day after day, no maintance, nothing, that baby just kept on going.... classic, maybe not.. Laughing

plenty of 250 superdreams about for not much money,a guy i knew just sold his after 27 years of stirling service,the 400 superdream was a nice bike as well. thumbs

I too had a G5... great little bike... much better than the superdream Laughing

if you want oldskool, go for a Suzi 380 or an yami RD350LC... lotsa fun for your money

Do not buy a two stroke there nasty witch craft things in my opinion. Very Happy
The law is unfair as I think even the best of the 400 Fours would not kick out the claimed 37bhp 35 odd years on, the engines are worn and expensive to restore most restorations are cosmetic few pull the motors down.And few are listed as standerd but are in fact a long way from it.look at mine looks std ITS NOT Shocked
I had XJ550 Yam with a brand new piper 4into1 bestsounding bike I owned sounded wicked! it was streets ahead of the 400F I sold the XJ550 to buy the XS1100 and then bought the same XJ550 back years later it was rubbish worn out fair doose to the girl I sold it to she wipped its ass big time!!!!!.
How about some thing Brit like yer pops:)?
You will spend more time in the shed learning and fiddling to keep it running but it will always get you Home I have tide bits back on my Norton with me boot lace to get home Smile
I will have think alot of Jap Classics where rubbish when new Like the CB500T,Kawasaki Z400T,Honda CB200,Suzuki SP370,Some of the Early Honda singles(OHC) would where the cylinder head out as the cam ran in the head no bearings,I seem to remember them CB900F blowing up to.
But what ever, don't spend yer bucks without shouting on here first don't go and spend 1500 quid on a CB200 cus its listed as a classic.ta ta G
How about a Moto Guzzi V50
or this 350 Enfield 18bhp sorted you can get loads of bits to dress um up in to.

http://www.royalenfield.com/default.aspx

Most small displacement bikes I can remember from the 70/80s were mainly two strokes. If you can live with one I allways liked the Kawasaki KH250, It sounded great and had the looks of its big brothers.good luck finding something Bedford.

Thanks for all your suggestions thumbs

I'll definetly let you know what I've chosen when I've actually decided! Cool

These where good little bikes if you can find a nice one