Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swifty

Bandit exhausts

Most of you will probably know this already, but for those who don't here's a good tip
The Bandit Exhausts have a "deliberate" built-in flaw between the collector box and the link pipe (it's in mild steel where it clamps onto the link pipe scratch ) and is prone to rusting and falling apart.
If it happens to you and it starts blowing don't go ordering a new downpipe at 200 odd quid, take the downpipes off and take it round to your nearest stainless steel fabricators (along with your link pipe, they'll need it for the right size).
get them to weld a new section of pipe onto the collector box and cut about 5 slits no more than a couple of inches in it so you can clamp it back onto the link pipe, while your there take a new 61mm clamp and get them to spot weld it onto your old heat shield (it's about £5 for the clamp without the shield £15 with the shield.
Buy new header bolts and seals and refit, should cost round £30 to £40 job lot "a lot better than 200 plus" pint
Also if your having problems taking the old header bolts off because the allen heads have rounded off, warm up your engine for a while put plenty of plus gas on them and hammer a 13mm socket over the allen bolts and they come off a treat

@swifty wrote:

Also if your having problems taking the old header bolts off because the allen heads have rounded off, warm up your engine for a while put plenty of plus gas on them and hammer a 13mm socket over the allen bolts and they come off a treat

It's a 12mm multipoint socket you use not a 13mm, it's a 65mm length of 60mm ID stainless tube you need to replace the mild steel piece and don't grind/cut 2" long slits in it, they only have to be 20-25mm as the pipe only sticks out 30 odd mm from the collector.

@Bezzer wrote:
It's a 12mm multipoint socket you use not a 13mm, it's a 65mm length of 60mm ID stainless tube you need to replace the mild steel piece and don't grind/cut 2" long slits in it, they only have to be 20-25mm as the pipe only sticks out 30 odd mm from the collector.

No! it was definately a 13mm socket I used, might have been the size of the Allen bolts that was originally on when I got the bike 3 1/2 years ago but it was a 13mm socket as I've lost my 12mm Very Happy

A 13mm only just grips on a standard M8 allen head, you were lucky if it gripped enough to get the bolt out. 12mm is the one to bang over.

All valuable information is well recieved, thanks for that Bezzer thumbs