Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazman

new project really old bandit

I'm new to this forum stuff but thought I would get involved, as recently I've bored everyone I know to death with bandit talk. I've been wanting a bandit for about 10 years now, ever since I test rode one at a dealers. Anyway I ended up with a CBR 600, which was sort of fun for a while but hiding behind a fairing is not really my style and I got fed up with people trying to race me every time I fancied a cruise. Anyway after a couple of years the CBR was sold to pay for my wife's new kitchen, to be honest I went off the CBR after it feel off it's centre stand one day and made a right mess of the fairing. Next I went for a bike that I had fancied back in the day but couldn't afford one new, an XT 600 tenere. I thought that would be good as nobody would try to race me, so preserving my life for a bit longer. Not a good idea as the tenere really only ever wanted to be on it's back wheel so that was sold. I've gone without a bike for about 5 years or so now and dabbled with a few of my other vehicular passions, a Mk 1 golf convertible, that was never here when I wanted it because my wife liked it to much and a Mk2 mini countryman estate (woody) but I didn't have the resources to even start that so the mini was turned into a week in Tenerife. I have been toying with the idea of another bike for ages and a bandit was what I wanted, to be truthful I would have preferred a 1200 but a tight budget and the right bike in the right place at the right time resulted in me buying a tatty early 600 for £550

It was ideal as most of the bike was there and it ran beautifully, it just needed completely stripping, refurbishing and rebuilding with a couple of simple mods and improvements thrown in. Anyway the strip down happened 3 weeks ago, everything boxed up, categories, photographed and labeled and a fairly big list of bits needed and jobs to do made. I couldn't resist starting on the fork legs and set to work with a gallon of paint stripper, steel wool, various sanding discs and a new polishing kit for a new bench grinder purchased. The initial results were impressive and so I have pushed on with a mixture of polishing, paint stripping and grinding to remove all traces of the rotting metal and paint which covered the poor old bandit. I did set about stripping the frame once it was completely free of all removable items but soon realised that I needed to take a trip to the local sand blasting guy. He made a fantastic job of removing every trace of paint, rust and grease from the frame and swinging arm for 65 quid (fair) and I purchased nearly £200 worth of etch primmer, filler primmer, thinners, 2x colours of base coat and lacquer along with tack cloths, paper roll, mixing cups and hardener, oh and a mask to keep the toxic fumes out of my lungs. The frame, swinging arm and side stand were suspended from my shed roof and carfully a layer at a time I set about laying each coat until I finished up with a lovely glossy metallic graphite grey frame and matching swinging arm and side stand. I let the frame rest for a couple of days and set about the wheels, firstly stripping the paint and then attacking the corrosion, 600 then 1200 wet and dry and finally autosol and a few good hours polishing. The rims looked good but I needed to get some paint on the centres, spokes and hubs. My colour scheme is simple, a metallic graphite grey frame and swinging arm and black body work, with everything that's made of ally polished mirror finish and so I wanted the paint on the wheels to be black. To do this I masked off the rims and sprayed the black centres with smooth black hammerite thinned a little with a splash off white spirits. The wheels looked fantastic, almost powder coated and to celebrate I took them down to our local tyre centre and surrendered another nearly £200 to have a couple of new Michelin pilot tyres fitted (sexy tread pattern). I have also redone the rear brake calliper in the smooth black hammerite along with numerous other painted black items and they all look fantastic, like a new item. The front callipers are yet to be sprayed the same. I serviced the front forks last weekend, checked the springs for shortening, drained off the old black fork oil and fitted new seals, fork dust seals are on there way as well as new fork oil. Got loads of bits arrived to either smarten up the bike or restore various functional items, new chrome clock bowls, front master cylinder repair kit, new calliper rubbers and pads all round. Started to rebuild the bike but currently taking a couple of days out to recharge the batteries ready for another onslaught towards the end of the week and over the long weekend. Talking of batteries, I became the proud owner of a new one of those a couple of week s ago as well. Next job once my fork dust seals and fork oil arrives is to finish the fork overhaul and get the front and back wheels on, I would like a rolling chassis by next Monday night. Anyway I've gone on a bit, I'll be boring you lot next. I hope to upload some pic's with this post but as I said, I'm new to this forum stuff and may well struggle. Would love to hear from anyone who's interested in my project or with similar projects. Gazman

OK. hopefully there should be a couple more pics of the sandblasted and freshly painted frame. Got the tank stripped and etch primed and all the bodywork prepared for primmer as well. Making good progress now and have nearly all the ally parts polished and all odd steel parts and brackets sprayed black. Aiming to be on the road before the end of

Frame after sand blasting, ready for etch primer.

Tank stripped and ready for primer.

tank etch primmed

Sprayed the frame metalic graphite grey and laquered it.

Started to put the frame back together

set about the engine cases with my new buffing wheels.

And clean up and spray other bits and pieces.

repaired some damaged panels and primed ready for top coat.

spent most of one weekend getting the wheels to a better standard.

new tyres fitted, Michelin pilots.

made a start on the header pipes, got an irritating ding on number 1 cylinger down pipe htough.

Time to get going on the engine, I wasn't sure at the time, which colour to go with though, black or silver.

Gunked it down and pressured it off, carefully.

Went for the black engine and polished cases.

Collected the body work from a guy I know who is a really good sprayer, went jet, gloss black in 2 pack (actually its Merc paint).

Had stuff arriving daily, stainless nuts and bolts, spark plugs, fork seals, dust seals, new brake pads all round, new caliper seals all round, new fork oil, new engine oil, number plate, head light, NOS speado with zero miles on, new chrome speedo and rev counter bowls, the list goes on and on.

Recruited my wife and 2x teenage daughter one night to help me get the engine back in the frame, used the new stainless engine mount bolts.

Had some decals made in silver and spent nearly 4 hours almost destroying them myself, alright for a tenner though.

about 4 hours to gunk and polish the carbs, not mirror but a slight sheen using autosol and an artists brush, for ages and ages.

Got a local engineer to pull the ding out of the header pipes and weld some stainless in the hole, ground it off and polished it and it's about 98% good.

A bit more polishing.

got the footrest hangers polished and mounted and couldn't resist a little mock up to see what the rideing position was like after jacking up the rear and new low bars. result it was perfect.

Took 130 mm out of the very long can and generally refurbed it all so that it shines, new stainless jubilee clips polished up a treat as well.

got the whole exhaust system back on the bike and am well pleased with how it looks.

polished the rear foor rests and new springs and ball bearings.

refurbished the original rear caliper. and remounted.

Finally tonight I had another hour or so polishing the front brake master cylinder, getting there but needs a bit more effort yet.

Just had enough time to get the chain back on, been soaking it in oil for a couple of months. There's nothing wrong with it and so I'm gonna use it.

That's a whistle stop tour of my project bandit 600. Loads of other stuff has gone on but that should get anyone who is interested up to speed. Gaz javascript:emoticonp('thumbs')

thumbsthumbsthumbsthumbsShocked

Guest Guest

Great stuff there and can tell you have spent loads of time on it. She looks really nice thumbs

Credit for the work mate. It is, literally, a totally different bike. Good work thumbsthumbssalutesalute

Thanks Gaz for taking the time to post all this for us to read, it certainly woke me eyes up this morning thats for sure, amazing job mate fairplay work looks awesome and i hope that when you finish her you get out and enjoy riding her Very HappyVery Happythumbsmbike

Awesome dude your making a cracking job thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Thanks Gaz for taking the time to post all this for us to read, it certainly woke me eyes up this morning thats for sure, amazing job mate fairplay work looks awesome and i hope that when you finish her you get out and enjoy riding her Very HappyVery Happythumbsmbike
agree and thanks

Fantastic job m8 you have done a first class job there, totally transformed a hack into a cracking bike. thumbs

Thanks for sharing it mate, really enjoyed looking through it and well done!

Thanks for the comments Guys. I feel guilty because I have spent all my time working on the bike and posting progress reports but not reading much of anyone else's posts. I love reading about other peoples projects etc but just haven't got enough hours in the day right now. Just finished for the day and gonna have a little play with a couple of deliveries that arrived today. Feel too tired to do much tonight and may have a look through some threads later. thumbs

@haveugot1 wrote:
Love the colour of the frame m8, what colour is it?

Not sure of the name or code mate but it's an Opel graphite grey, just scoured through loads of colour charts and really liked this one. Although it is almost exactly the same colour as our new vans which I know is a 2011, VW colour called natural grey (it is metallic).

the van on the left of this pic is natural grey

I don't know where the inspiration came from when I was picking colours for me bike!

Gaz thumbsthumbs

jeez gaz you could have cleaned it before taking some pics Rolling Eyeshide

applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
coming on a treat matey,you have done a great job, so whats this other project i hear on the grapevine, care to elaborate.......... Suspect

@pugeyed wrote:
jeez gaz you could have cleaned it before taking some pics Rolling Eyeshide

applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
coming on a treat matey,you have done a great job, so whats this other project i hear on the grapevine, care to elaborate.......... Suspect

Ah ha, Mr p. Eyed, I was just about to try and find you on here to see if you had posted anything about your new shlong side stand. Something I also hope to resolve this week, any news mate or better still some pics. thumbsthumbs. Really not sure about the next project, I Keep hearing about cafe racers and bobbers and like both (it's a retro thing) but fancy something maybe out there on it's own a little. I am currently thinking along the lines of a 1920's 1930's style of bike, British, low and flat, swept back bars and a shoe box for a tank with old school colours, pin stripping and panelling (gotta have a stripe in there somewhere) with maybe nickel plating instead of chrome and of course plenty of polished ally, spoked wheels and drum brakes of course. Could go the whole hog and have a suicide shift with the clutch lever incorporated but not very practical on today's roads. Haven't thought it all through as yet but would love an old Triumph. I know you have connections with old British bikes and I have to say I love them. My first bike was a rigid framed 1953 James 197cc with a single sprung saddle, I loved it, a little 2 stroke viliers engine, no good for my next project though.

A bit like this one

thumbsthumbs

absolute credit where its due,you should be proud of that nice work thumbsthumbsthumbs

gud job matey! she truely is a thing of beauty!

gaz see here for update on the stand, dont want to blog your thread
/t2521-longer-side-stand#29084

that james is lovely, my dad is rebuilding a 1949 rigid bantam pic is here (before restoration)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/moondust_crust/170808010copy.jpg

dont know what im gonna do next after the kawasaki still loads of ideas floating round my head.

oh on the thought of nickel instead of chrome i know of a good company. Wink

more pics please.......... bananaparty

That bantum's cool, it's basically the same sort of thing as my old James, I think they had 2 stroke viliers engines as well didn't they. How long will it take him to restore it ?

@dick65 wrote:
thats a cracking job you done there mate thumbs

Thank you very much, I only wanted a cheap bike to get back on the road with, bought the cheap bike and spent 2x the purchase price on renovating it, oh yeh and well over 300 hours (approx 350 hours working on it). That's the way to bond with a machine. Gaz thumbsthumbs

he is almost done restoring it just got the wheels to lace up and blast and paint the frame.

thumbsthumbs

You have done a cracking job mate, wish i had the time and energy to sort my bandit out. My dads got a james

@dandan wrote:
You have done a cracking job mate, wish i had the time and energy to sort my bandit out. My dads got a james

That James is mint, did your dad restore it or buy it done, either way it's quality. Looks like a 98cc (I think) by the size of the engine and exhaust. Looks like the same era as my old James, rigid frame and single sprung saddle, just a little less chunky and although mine had a rigid frame it did have little rubber plungers near the rear spindle to absorb a little of the shock. One of my dreams is to buy back all my old bikes and restore them. I have tried to track my old James but not successfully. Go for the refurb of the bandit mate, if you've never done it then you might just love it, best thing I've done in years. If you do post progress and lots of pics on hear and you will get loads of help, i'm sure. What year is your bandit, B6 or B12 thumbsthumbs

I think it’s a 124cc and is a cadet light weight which were made up from stock left over from the military light weights left over from the war. It was restored by my step granddad 2 years ago and has been in my family since it was new by my great great granddad which i believe was around 1946.

My bandits a b6 want to get it tidied up and sold so i can restore a classic over the winter but I’m having too much on my Daytona lol.

just looked through this nice one m8 and thanks for taking the time to do all the pics luved looking at it stage by stage thumbs

@Hawkster wrote:
just looked through this nice one m8 and thanks for taking the time to do all the pics luved looking at it stage by stage thumbs

Your welcome mate, I'm enjoying the project and enjoying posting progress and pic's. Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
@Hawkster wrote:

Your welcome mate, I'm enjoying the project and enjoying posting progress and pic's. Gaz thumbsthumbs
Excellent Gaz ile look forward to your future projects for sure Very Happythumbs

Delivered my standard side stand to the same guy who removed the dent from my down pipes, at lunch time today and collected it, extended by 50mm, on my way back from a job this afternoon. Well pleased, he's done a sound job, Just gonna try it on the bike, before I spray it tomorrow.

thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
Delivered my standard side stand to the same guy who removed the dent from my down pipes, at lunch time today and collected it, extended by 50mm, on my way back from a job this afternoon. Well pleased, he's done a sound job, Just gonna try it on the bike, before I spray it tomorrow.

thumbsthumbs

Hay Mark, how you doin ?, just out of interest mate, how much did you add to your side stand, I had 50mm put in and it's perfect for the dog bones I've fitted, although they did raise the back end by 55mm when it should have only been 40mm. Thought I was gonna have to change them, but it seemed fine once I had fitted the footrests and tried the riding position, only riding it will tell though. Won't be long now, got it running last night, if it doesn't rain non stop this weekend I will be going for an MOT on Friday (week today)and not getting off it until Monday night (got a 4 day weekend booked).Gaz thumbsthumbs

hi Gaz, im good matey you?
think i added about 30-35mm to mine, gonna get it powdercoated the same colour as the frame.
mine is going in for an mot on thursday hope she passes, good luck with yours let us know how you get on.
Mark. thumbs

That bike is a credit to you a lot of hard work and time has gone into that well done thumbs

@suzukijax wrote:
That bike is a credit to you a lot of hard work and time has gone into that well done thumbs

Thank you mate, appreciate you taking a look and taking the time to comment. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Been a bit busy for a few days, worked on the bike from 7 o'clock Friday morning until 12:30 Saturday morning, then up again at 6 Saturday to finish off last couple of jobs for MOT. Anyway, got an MOT and insurance, just waiting until tomorrow morning for a tax disc. Well pleased with the bike, drag bars are sweet, so much better than standard ones. Will post some pics later today, after I've done a couple of small jobs and thoroughly cleaned it. thumbsthumbs

Got it all ready for a spin today. Here's a few pic's of the finished bike. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Thought I should just give a little update. I'm loving riding my bike, been on the road a week nearly,taking things carefully, I'm not a spring chicken and I don't want to loose the bike I have now through something that could be avoided. Gonna go on a long ride into to cotswold's tomorrow after a couple of minor adjustments, gear shift a little lower and take a little bit of slack out of the throttle linkage.

Oh yeh took a trip to George White Swindon on Monday and treated myself to some lovely bar end mirrors. Gaz thumbsthumbs

The mirrors work so well with the low bars.

Shes looking mighty fine mate thumbs enjoy your ride 2mw stay safe thumbs

nice one i have on of those mirrors on the right with my drag bars, too wide imo for 2 didnt wana clip cars lol.

good tip is to face them down, looks under your elbow and you get a better view. but im not the tallest of people so dont know if thats why

Not a fan of unfaired bikes but you have done a great job on that and it looks really nice. Think you made a great choice with the colours and brilliant attention to detail thumbsthumbs

I always find the polishing amazing - I just about have the patience to polish and end can let alone go over carbs with an artists brush No

Hope you get to enjoy it for a long time to come party

@Macie_UK wrote:
Not a fan of unfaired bikes but you have done a great job on that and it looks really nice. Think you made a great choice with the colours and brilliant attention to detail thumbsthumbs

I always find the polishing amazing - I just about have the patience to polish and end can let alone go over carbs with an artists brush No

Hope you get to enjoy it for a long time to come party

Thanks for reading it mate, Gaz thumbsthumbs

looks stunning gaz , you should be well proud mate.glad she is running ok thumbsthumbsthumbsapplauseapplauseapplause

@pugeyed wrote:
looks stunning gaz , you should be well proud mate.glad she is running ok thumbsthumbsthumbsapplauseapplauseapplause

Cheers Mark, Had a little look at your vid the other day, on youtube, sounds sweet mate. I nearly took the mods a step to far with my seat a couple of days ago. Put it all back to standard now but with a nice new black cover, I think for my bike that's about it for mods but am currently looking at a cheapish project cafe racer, just for a bit of fun and to keep me busy for a few weeks. You got anything interesting planed mate ? Gaz thumbsthumbs

Oh yeh, bought a slightly damaged hugger on the bay yesterday so will be repairing and spraying black with a silver stripe late this week.

@Gazman wrote:
@pugeyed wrote:

Cheers Mark, Had a little look at your vid the other day, on youtube, sounds sweet mate. I nearly took the mods a step to far with my seat a couple of days ago. Put it all back to standard now but with a nice new black cover, I think for my bike that's about it for mods but am currently looking at a cheapish project cafe racer, just for a bit of fun and to keep me busy for a few weeks. You got anything interesting planed mate ? Gaz thumbsthumbs

Oh yeh, bought a slightly damaged hugger on the bay yesterday so will be repairing and spraying black with a silver stripe late this week.

hi gaz im good matey, was actually looking on evilbay this afternoon for new projects

have found a couple
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GPZ900R-GPZ-900-R-Spares-Repair-Project-/200635981764?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2eb6d61fc4#ht_1080wt_905
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GT550-Spares-Repair-Project-gt-550-/200635966436?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2eb6d5e3e4#ht_1132wt_905
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GS550L-CHOP-RAT-CUSTOM-PROJECT-/270790787260?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f0c6380bc#ht_678wt_1139

very tempted by the 900 reackon that would make a great bike with a bit of work. other than that just been working on the kwak project. all the best and more pics please!
Mark.

@pugeyed wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
@pugeyed wrote:

hi gaz im good matey, was actually looking on evilbay this afternoon for new projects

have found a couple
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GPZ900R-GPZ-900-R-Spares-Repair-Project-/200635981764?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2eb6d61fc4#ht_1080wt_905
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GT550-Spares-Repair-Project-gt-550-/200635966436?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2eb6d5e3e4#ht_1132wt_905
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GS550L-CHOP-RAT-CUSTOM-PROJECT-/270790787260?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f0c6380bc#ht_678wt_1139

very tempted by the 900(shame its on a Q plate though) reackon that would make a great bike with a bit of work. other than that just been working on the kwak project. all the best and more pics please!
Mark.

Right, great excitement. Just bought 2x Honda cb250's. Gonna collect them both on Friday from Lincoln. One is fairly complete and will be fully restored to original and hopefully mint condition but this is gonna be the second project of the two. The first project will be the non runner/ barn find and this will become my very first cafe racer attempt. Really looking forward to starting this and getting up to speed with everything I need to know about the Honda CB 250. The cafe racer project should stand me in good stead for the full restoration project. I will start a new thread named brand new project really old cb 250 (cafe racer)and of course I will be posting loads of updates and stacks of pictures, just bought a new compact Pentax today to assist with this. Anyone who is interested look out for the new thread on Sunday evening with pics, can not wait. Gaz bananabananabananathumbsthumbs