Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pugeyed

do you need an ignition lock and chainguard by law?

kawasaki project , have decided to ditch the ignition switch altogether and go for an electronic tag version,
just wondered if you need an ignition lock, ie to stop someone turning the forks?

also chainguard as ive just realised i chopped my chainguard mounts off my kawasaki swingarm and didnt weld new ones on. Rolling Eyes
sent it off for powdercoating yesterday. Sad
heads not with it at the mo lol Sleep

Ignition lock is optional Shocked but IIRC chainguard is a requirement for MoT test. I'm happy to stand corrected though. Smile

alan have you got a link for the info , been trying to find something about in on the mot testers manual but coming up with nothing.
Thanks for your help.
mark.

mark Im 100% sure you need a chainguard
its saftey related

ignition Im not sure on thumbs

maybe wrong though mark,to what people are saying on the net,not a mot requirement

but the law may have something to say about it thumbs

lets just say, you dont want a chain snapping and going straight into your leg, not a nice outcome Smile law or not i would still put one on

There's no actual "law" saying you need a chainguard by name....BUT...it comes under the catch all of dangerous parts under Construction and Use.
"A motor vehicle and all parts and accessories of such vehicle shall at all times be in such condition that no danger is caused or likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or on a road."

That's why it may fail an MOT if it hasn't got one and you have provision for a pillion and why you could get done for it if stopped.

looks like ill be fitting one then!
doesnt bother me too much, just gonna have to figure a way of attaching it. could always use clamps with little brackets, that way i havent gott muck up my powdercoat. thumbs

What about drilling a couple of holes and putting in some rivit inserts so you could then bolt or screw on some type of bracket ?. wouldn't be too hard to do or mess up the paint work.

i was thinking of x2 clamps robbie that will go round the arm that way i can attach a chainguard, but if that doesnt work yep, rivit inserts would do it just as well thumbs

When I looked into it I was told if there are pegs for a pillion a chaingaurd must be fitted...

Suppose it all depends on your MOT tester though at the end of the day.

get a old exhaust strap ( or 2 ) and wrap it round the swing arm to bolt it onto

so got the swingarm back today from the coaters, just need to sort out a clamp or 2.

oh and some new bearings lol.

where you getting these bits done? and do you know any fabricators/one off exhaust makers in northampton lol im starting to give up searching without luck Sad

i go here matey
http://www.yell.com/b/Unique+Paint+and+Powder-Powder+Coating-Northampton-NN57AX-4750890/index.html

im sure there are better places, nice place over corby but they are cheap and i think he does a good job, you kinda have to think for them though.

one off fabricators i use
http://custombilletparts.com/
but for exhaust stuff i think you might have to keep looking matey Laughing

bit far and just landed meself a full system so well chuffed now!!! will be sticking me carbon can on, not a stainless one :P ta for the powder coaters thumbs