Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pugeyed

removing anodising on aluminium

so i saw a cheap billet bar clamp on ebay for the bandit.

but didnt like the colour as it doesnt really go with the colour of the bike.
so decided to take the blue anodising off so i could polish the bare alloy.

a quick rub down with some wet and dry to let the agent into the surface and it looked like this

next i used oven pride oven cleaner (which contains sodium hydroxide)
i have used drain cleaner in the past although you havent got much time with that as its quite corrosive

using a tooth brush i gently covered the top of the clamp (be carefull folks, eye protection, latex or nitrile gloves are a must, plus wear a long sleave jumper)
now you can see the blue is starting to go

at this stage you have only got the blue off, there will be a white/grey layer underneth

keep painting the oven cleaner on until you can see the bare alloy coming through, i find it helps if you leave it for 5 mins then rinse it off and wet and dry it .

once your at the stage you want to add more oven cleaner dry it off completly as i find it doesnt like going onto wet alloy.

you can clearly see it reacting with the alloy.

in these pics you can see the layer underneth clearly, you need to remove all this to polish the alloy.

more rubbing and you will end up with something like this

still needs some more work but you get the idea
need to rub it down with some 1200 and then get it on the polishing wheel.

still not sure on the knuckle duster, might have a think and see if i like it

just so you know, this annodising wasnt very thick, other stuff i have had a nightmare with but you never know till you try. this took me 2 hours.
thumbs

Yer good wright up becouse I would have said it's not doable,I have learnt some thing here cheers. thumbs did you replace the tooth brush?it will burn yer gob out!!!!!! Sad

some caustic soda mate fetches it all off in about 15 seconds and i mean fetches it off.... no need to rub scrub or anything thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
just so you know, this annodising wasnt very thick, other stuff i have had a nightmare with but you never know till you try. this took me 2 hours.
thumbs

Nice write up thumbs if you've got thick thick anodising just soak it in Caustic Soda which is full Hydrogen Peroxide, 20 minute soak in that will remove any anodising, rinse off and it's ready for polishing back up.Really evil stuff though.

edit..Flinty beat me to it

cheers peeps!
only reason i used oven pride is cuz thats what i had in.
and yes i put the tooth brush back where it belongs Laughing

Thanks for sharing....would never have thought about this....
This is a major reason that I'm glad this forum exists.... a lot of knowledge and a willingness to share it..

thumbsthumbs

@Richard80 wrote:
This is a major reason that I'm glad this forum exists.... a lot of knowledge and a willingness to share it..

thumbsthumbs
Thats what we like to hear thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Richard80 wrote:

thumbsthumbs
Thats what we like to hear thumbs

agreethumbs

Cheers Maveric