Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

Bandit brakes

wave Hi everyone, Ive got a 1200 bandit k5 and from new the brakes have been crap. Absolutely no bite from cold, front and rear the same. They are the standard 6 pot Tokico calipers on the front i've put Hel braided lines on (standard setup) and tried EBC hh sintered pads new fluid and bled properly all to no improvment. There is plenty of feel at the lever but just no stopping power from cold, once heated up the fronts work well but the back is useless. If the discs, and pads are deglazed and calipers cleaned its fine for about a week then goes back to the same. Thinking of changing discs but seems a bit drastic. Any ideas anyone scratch Oh! a mate has the same model bike he's done nothing to it and his brakes are awesome confused
Mike.

measure the disc thickness could be worn down scratch maybe bleed the brakes again or try different pads.

Thing is Dave they are good when heated up its just getting them hot. I was thinking contaminated somehow but then why would they work hot but very poor cold? maybe try another change of pad first something different if not some wavey discs it is Cool

Thing is Dave they are good when heated up its just getting them hot. I was thinking contaminated somehow but then why would they work hot but very poor cold? maybe try another change of pad first something different if not some wavey discs it is Cool
see what you mean scratch

@dick65 wrote:
measure the disc thickness could be worn down scratch maybe bleed the brakes again or try different pads.

disc thickness is fine Dick well within tolerance so will probably go for another set of pads thumbs

hi mike you have the same model bike as me

and the first thing I noticed,was how crap the brakes are even though they have six pots on the front

pads and discs fine on mine to scratch

@lee wrote:

and the first thing I noticed,was how crap the brakes are even though they have six pots on the front

Its a strange one Lee if i find a solution i'll let you know. confused

@lee wrote:

sure I read somewhere the 4pots are a much better caliper scratch

@lee wrote:
@lee wrote:

Haveugot1 (Mark) has a mk1 4 pot his brakes are great. Skelly has the same model as ours his are also great but he never cleans it and says thats my problem, so our bikes are too clean mate! lol!

@lee wrote:
@lee wrote:

Haveugot1 (Mark) has a mk1 4 pot his brakes are great. Skelly has the same model as ours his are also great but he never cleans it and says thats my problem, so our bikes are too clean mate! lol!
bet daves brakes dont work at all LaughingLaughing

@lee wrote:
@lee wrote:

bet daves brakes dont work at all LaughingLaughing

foflfoflhide

Brakes on mine (mk1 4 pots) are shit hot! Couldn't believe how good they were to be honest. It's got an srad master cylinder but can't see that being much of an improvement

Pistons not operating at same rate when cold, resulting in partial braking power. A little heat and they work ok. Are any pistons sticking are they clean?

6 pots are pretty piss poor on the bandits tbf lol if it was to do with contaminated brakes, then it would be like it for a short while till they been used for a bit and be fine after, not always when cold unless you do actually clean it after every ride!

@2wheels wrote:
Brakes on mine (mk1 4 pots) are shit hot! Couldn't believe how good they were to be honest. It's got an srad master cylinder but can't see that being much of an improvement

wonder if there's any difference between the master cylinder piston on a mk1 to a mk2 although mine are good when heated up so still leads me to a pad compound/contamination problem but i've already changed the pads from standard to EBC so I don't know scratch and now i'm rambling Embarassed

@fr499y wrote:
6 pots are pretty piss poor on the bandits tbf lol if it was to do with contaminated brakes, then it would be like it for a short while till they been used for a bit and be fine after, not always when cold unless you do actually clean it after every ride!

I do clean it an awful lot EmbarassedEmbarassed maybe it is that simple?

I replace the 4 pots for 6 pots on my mrk 1, sintered pads and stainless hoses, stops on a dime, progressive braking too, nice firm lever action too.

I replace the 4 pots for 6 pots on my mrk 1, sintered pads and stainless hoses, stops on a dime, progressive braking too, nice firm lever action too.

Same set up as me then Rob and the lever has a firm feel just sh censored t brakes.

Changing your discs is drastic so try the racing pads I've got in.
They throw you over the bars from cold.
Banks rd. Mike.

Banks rd. Mike.

@Kenb wrote:
Pistons not operating at same rate when cold, resulting in partial braking power. A little heat and they work ok. Are any pistons sticking are they clean?

Its been like it from new Ken but the pistons operate freely and can be pushed in with finger pressure and all move together.

@haveugot1 wrote:
Banks rd. Mike.

Am gonna go after work tomorrow Mark thumbs

try giving them a good bleed mike ill bet youve got tiny air bubbles in the system which would cause the pads to catch when hot thereby glazing them oh youll also need new pads thumbs my mk 2 1200had good brakes but they did take a lit of bleeding when i fitted the hel hoses no1

try giving them a good bleed mike ill bet youve got tiny air bubbles in the system which would cause the pads to catch when hot thereby glazing them oh youll also need new pads thumbs my mk 2 1200had good brakes but they did take a lot of bleeding when i fitted the hel hoses no1

try giving them a good bleed mike ill bet youve got tiny air bubbles in the system which would cause the pads to catch when hot thereby glazing them oh youll also need new pads thumbs my mk 2 1200had good brakes but they did take a lit of bleeding when i fitted the hel hoses no1

won't hurt to bleed through again Stan, but wouldn't the lever be spongy?

won't hurt to bleed through again Stan, but wouldn't the lever be spongy?
mm i suppose it would maybe just new pads then

Just thought mike have u made sure the brake lines are all on a downword angle, I had this problem when bleeding my clutch,the lines had a dip in them causing air to get trapped.

@haveugot1 wrote:
Just thought mike have u made sure the brake lines are all on a downword angle, I had this problem when bleeding my clutch,the lines had a dip in them causing air to get trapped.

Same as Stans reply Mark if it was air wouldn't it manifest itself as spongy brakes,more lever travel to compress the bubbles. Mine has a firm lever, just no bite. So pads been the cheaper option is the way to go i think as EBC have'nt worked for me i'll try those you suggested mate! ..... when i get chance Rolling Eyes

why not take the pads out and give them a rub on some coarse sandpaper then give the discs a rub over with some finer wet and dry

Done this numerous times Stan lasts about a week then returns back to no bite which is also why i'm ruling out air in the system, if doing this works initially my thinking is it has to be pads or discs and I don't use any sprays or bike cleaners anywhere near the brakes to contaminate them. Lee posted that his brakes are the same so not sure what it can be confused

There has got to be something wrong there I have an 04 B12 and the brakes are brilliant in fact too powerful, one finger is enough two in emergency, so there has to be something very wrong with yours.best go through the lot again for your own safety.
just a thought the calipers are central to the disk are they? and not pressing the disk to one side so to speak, I had that once on a triumph, made the brakes almost useless by comparison.
Keith

with mine mike there not useless,but just seem very poor,compared to the four pots on my old b6

Im going to fit some sinterd pads over the winter months

I did strip them when I got the bike gave them a good clean and it made no differance at all

Ive even checked the brake fluid and its fine

try taking the master cylinder top off and prize the pads back they should go back easily if not they might be seized up

you havent fitted ceramic discs by mistake have you m8 Wink
when you bled brakes did you push pistons right back into calipers first ,
you could try your mates discs if his are good and they are still shite on your bike this will rule them out
pad pins clean not sticking
i have a vacuum bleeder if you want to try that m8.

@madcarper wrote:
you havent fitted ceramic discs by mistake have you m8 Wink
when you bled brakes did you push pistons right back into calipers first ,
you could try your mates discs if his are good and they are still shite on your bike this will rule them out
pad pins clean not sticking
i have a vacuum bleeder if you want to try that m8.

Not been able to do much due to work BUT thanks for all the response Stan the pistons move back smoothly under hand pressure so not sticking pistons. Ian original discs so unless contaminated shouldn't be an issue and have new stainless pad slider pins in. I have just bought some Bendix brake pads (come highly recommended from some dedicated track day mates)and will change the EBC HH sintered ones I have in to these and update the results as i think its a brake pad issue thumbs

Just to bump this post and let you know especially Lee, put Bendix brake pads in all round after giving the calipers a good clean front and rear, they've been in a couple of weeks now and what a difference thumbs , instant bite and no fade even from cold, so really pleased bounce and if your still not impressed with yours Lee might be worth a try. Everyone seems to rate EBC D.S pads but for me no good when cold No but now a Happy Bunny! thanks everyone for your response cheersthumbs

Just to bump this post and let you know especially Lee, put Bendix brake pads in all round after giving the calipers a good clean front and rear, they've been in a couple of weeks now and what a difference thumbs , instant bite and no fade even from cold, so really pleased bounce and if your still not impressed with yours Lee might be worth a try. Everyone seems to rate EBC D.S pads but for me no good when cold No but now a Happy Bunny! thanks everyone for your response cheersthumbs
Nice 1 result thumbs

still dont see what the hype is with brakes, who needs them scratch

@Davehutch wrote:
Nice 1 result thumbs

agree excellent news that mate,might try some thumbs

cheers mate thumbs will get some when I service the bike thumbsthumbs

Glad u got it sorted mike, they are good pads.not heard from u for a bit is work busy?

Its a bit manic Mark but since getting the dog its like having a 2 year old in the house again head bang can't get anything done Rolling Eyes hows that shiny bike of yours?

pleased you got it sorted mike maybe the last pads were a bad batch or even snides sold as ebc thumbs

pleased you got it sorted mike maybe the last pads were a bad batch or even snides sold as ebc thumbs

Thanks Stan, just nice to have a bit more confidence that i'll stop, especially this weather mate! thumbs

agree nothing worse than having censored brakes Shocked pleased you got em sorted thumbs