Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haveugot1

car troubles

My mini cooper s went in to get a sump gasket put on it and new thermostat, £200. Great all fixed,
Wrong it started leaking oil again over the weekend just a spoon. Full.
So it went back in on tue and now they think it might be the crankshaft oil seal £3 to £400 as u have to take the gearbox out.
So if it is then there goes my swingarm for a while.
Fooking tin box. Sad

might be worth getting them to take a look at the clutch/fit a new one as all thats gotta come off anyway and the oil ha probably contaminated the clutch Wink

Always something mate. Sounds like you've already got in booked in being done? If not, let me know as both sons are mechanics, so may be able to save you a little bit of £££s. Both work in Stockton. If it's already in, let me know next time and I'll have a chat with them thumbs

My girlfriends brother has a cooper s, bout 2 month ago it got a rattle takes it to mini, they say cause it's low on oil(no chance checks his oil more than i fill up with petrol :P) they tell him to drive for a couple hundred miles and if it still rattles come back, well drives home opens the bonnet, i had a listen and it sounded like a diesel tractor. Takes it back to mini there head mechanic says it sounds fine Shocked Takes it back next day ask's sales guy to have a listen to the engine and he just about shits him self and books the car in. Ends up needing a completly new top end(gear box up) cause the cam chain had been sliping and taking chunks out of the engine, fit the new top end and the car wont even run Laughing Then they chucked a brand new engine in and gave it back.

All in all, im staying away from mini's

Price the parts for a new clutch assembly. Now sit down before you drop! Guy running driving school I know just spent over £800 on a Mini clutch.

It all sounds a bit like the old BMC mini cooper and S when I used to work in a BMC garage, never did like working on them.
Keith

Do it yourself man. Gearbox removal is easy, just time consuming. Put a box back on a 306 Pug last week, nae bother. Made my back ache a bit next morning though. Laughing

i think its cos they are owned by bmw mark so they charge bmw prices mate take it to a reputable non main dealer thumbs

i think its cos they are owned by bmw mark so they charge bmw prices mate take it to a reputable non main dealer thumbs
agree

mark I worked for bmw for a while its a common problem

but the sump gasket is more common

dont attempt to do it on the drive,you have to drop the subframe with steering rack ect ect still attached

it aint a quick fix lying on your back job

as said take else where,and dont forget all main dealers charge book time,so if it says 4hrs to do the job and it only takes 3 you still get charged 4hrs Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

and us poor sods who have to work in the back get know where near the £70 to £100 an hour rate they charge Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

Cheers lads. I've gotit booked in already, the lad fixin it used to work for mini for 10yrs so he knows the car inside out and is pretty cheap.
It had a new sump gasket and water temp sensor about 2 month ago then this started, but it only started dripping over the weekend so hoping the clutch is ok.

Bloody fancy cars are a pain.

@haveugot1 wrote:
Cheers lads. I've gotit booked in already, the lad fixin it used to work for mini for 10yrs so he knows the car inside out and is pretty cheap.
It had a new sump gasket and water temp sensor about 2 month ago then this started, but it only started dripping over the weekend so hoping the clutch is ok.

Bloody fancy cars are a pain.

hope ya get it sorted mark thumbs