Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardH

Bandit problem

I have noticed over the last couple of months that it's getting harder and harder to get my key to turn in the ignition, I have now managed to put my main key in a very safe place( censored knows where). Not a problem as I have a unused spare. This will not turn at all!! but does work in the seat lock, any thoughts, thanks

You want the post in the Bandit Forum FAQs on how to strip and refurbish the ignition barrel, that'll sort it.

put half a can of WD40 in it, left it 10 mins and hey presto, thanks Guys you're blinkin stars thankyouthankyouthankyou

You should never put oil in locks only graphite powder ,spray loads of wd in (there is a small drain hole at the bottom ) then push the wd out with a air line ,leave it over nite to dry the squirt graphite powder down there

nice one rich pleased youve sorted it, i do mine every couple of months along with the switch gear etc,as Dave says dont put oil down there Very Happythumbsparty

ITCHY wrote:
put half a can of WD40 in it, left it 10 mins and hey presto, thanks Guys you're blinkin stars thankyouthankyouthankyou

It's a quick fix but does wash greases away

ITCHY wrote:

It's a quick fix but does wash greases away

hence my purchase of graphite powder Shocked

@Davehutch wrote:
You should never put oil in locks only graphite powder ,spray loads of wd in (there is a small drain hole at the bottom ) then push the wd out with a air line ,leave it over nite to dry the squirt graphite powder down there

Got mine from the local locksmiths, you can also get Graphite grease as well as powder either should do the trick, hope you get it sorted Rich

I'm glad you started this topic rich had to get the wd40 on my ignition barrel the other day

steering lock wouldn't work Rolling Eyes think I better get some of that graphite powder thingy stuff thumbsthumbs

WD-40 is a very effective degreasent, will have your lock dry of any lubrication in no time.

Two options. One, try some graphite lock lube. If this fails, and you dont mind maybe refurbing the barrel at some time in the future do what i did with my bandit (lazy sod's trick): fill the barrel with chain lube! I had to do this every month, but my barrel never gave up the ghost and was allways pretty smooth.

All the best... thumbs

mine was the same washed out all the crap with wd40 let it dry then graphite powder get the little plastic bottle with the long tube on it acts like a little air jet and forces the powder right into the barrell smooth as silk now.

ITCHY wrote:
WTF is graphite powder?
you could make your own by rubbing a pencil on some sandpaper rich

ITCHY wrote:
WTF is graphite powder?
you could make your own by rubbing a pencil on some sandpaper rich

dont you need to mix it with anything?

I understand the theory behind NOT useing WD40,
but it works fine if its done regulary.
I've put a squirt into the ignition barrels
hundreds of times over the last 30+ years
and have never had a drama.
(along with seat locks, switch gear, sidestand
switches, electrical connecters etc etc)

Admittedly there may be more suitable stuff
but WD40 works fine for me... thumbs

One tiny issue. Graphite is a very good conductor. Great dry lubricant but I'd avoid getting it into the switch part of the lock. All very good advice though.

might give this a try , also wd is good for geting all the crap of the chain , just make sure its well dry and the put your lub back on ,

Had this when i had my bandit, i just put WD40 to give it a good clean, after a while put some 3 in one in put a little on the key and jiggle it in and out and up and down, hay presto job done thumbsthumbs