Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aceuggy

Flat Tyre

Went to take my new bike out this morning only to find the rear tyre as flat as a pancake and a sodding great big screw sticking out of it. Been to see my local spanners man and he reckons it'll be a new tyre that will cost me approx £130! The old one hasn't done 400 miles yet! Pi**ed off or what!! head bang

Where is the nail in the tyre ? If it's centre (ish) it can usually be repaired. Here's one of mine that was plugged on my B12

Stues the expert here.

But just off centre i would have thought could be repaired confused

looks like a week for flats . me you and 2 of my mates

i've had like 3 screws in the zed tyres =/ not gone all the way through lucky enough!!

@Robbie wrote:
Where is the nail in the tyre ? If it's centre (ish) it can usually be repaired. Here's one of mine that was plugged on my B12

Looks good. Got a couple like that.
As long as its not near the sidewall its fine.

Someone must be getting plenty of free (repaired) tyres going
by the ammount of folk I hear wont fix them !

If it was just of centre they should have repaired it Shocked

Having said that if they'd given you any of the below reasons not to repair it then they should have...
1 run flat
2 only allowed to repair bike tyres once purelly because of the construction of the casing..
3 the base of the plug is not allowed to roll up or sit anywhere near the wall of the tyre..
4 and last but least the screw/nail etc etc was thicker than a 2/3mil plug...

other than that they should have repaired it thumbs

What the guy said was that the screw, which was a pretty large one, had gone in at a angle and that's why he couldn't repair it. I guess he knows that I don't know any better, but I would be annoyed to think he could just repair it and he was conning me! I will ask for the old tyre back and take it to another tyre shop for a second opinion.

Had one on the Busa a couple of years back.
Two can's of tyre weld/foam wouldnt fix it.
Went flat instantly. Hole was too big.
Bike came home on a tow truck.

Had it profesionaly plugged from the inside.
Used it for a couple of thousand K's, no problem.

thumbs

@aceuggy wrote:
What the guy said was that the screw, which was a pretty large one, had gone in at a angle and that's why he couldn't repair it..

If it had gone in at a very low angle then
there is a chance that an internal "plug"
would not be able to sit flat on the inside
of the tyre.

@aceuggy wrote:
What the guy said was that the screw, which was a pretty large one, had gone in at a angle and that's why he couldn't repair it. I guess he knows that I don't know any better, but I would be annoyed to think he could just repair it and he was conning me! I will ask for the old tyre back and take it to another tyre shop for a second opinion.
Basiclly its created a too bigger hole Sad for the plug to fill, but yea by all means get a second opinion thumbs

@aceuggy wrote:
What the guy said was that the screw, which was a pretty large one, had gone in at a angle and that's why he couldn't repair it..

If it had gone in at a very low angle then
there is a chance that an internal "plug"
would not be able to sit flat on the inside
of the tyre.
Correct Tony thumbs

Stues got it bang on there. but i had a repair done in my rear maxxis tyre but im not a fan of repairs on bike tyres so ive sold my maxxis and bought a set of scrubs.! thumbs

I've had a fair few and always seems to be the rears, had em plugged and lasted the life of the tyre.

I've had a fair few and always seems to be the rears, had em plugged and lasted the life of the tyre.

You will find it will be the rear 99.9% of the time, reason for it is the front wheel flicks the stones/screws/nails up ready for the back tyre to pick up! you got to be seriously unlucky to get a screw in the front unless your riding over a lot of them!

@fr499y wrote:

you got to be seriously unlucky to get a screw in the front unless your riding over a lot of them!

I feel fairly unlucky to get one in my rear tyre! Shocked