Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
melly

car or bike to the TT

Hi peops and yes i expect this will allow many of you to take the pxxs out of me, but having booked the ferry for the TT next year I am now wondering if we would be better going in the car rather than the bike - what does anyone else think - but first listen to my reasons please Embarassed

1. i have only been on the b king once and it was ok but its a long way to heysham
2. we are going for 11 nights not 8 like originally planned - I know Daves top box is big but its not that big for 11 days worth of luggage - shoes, jeans, spare jeans, jumper, coat, t-shirts etc - (and yes I am happy to take the bare essentials and wear things more than once before anyone starts Laughing)
3. wot if its raining - really raining - i dont mind getting wet but want to be safe.

Has anyone else gone in the car before? what do you think an alternative or will we feel really stupid and be the only people on the island not on a motorbike

still excited that we are going though party

1. get as much pillion time as possible , if you think that the seat is uncomfortable get dave to buy a seat pad (I hear the inflatable ones are better than the gel seat ones).

Take the bare minimum you think you will need , if you require more, buy clothes out there and post them back when your done (we have done that in the past).

Invest in decent waterproofs , the one peice suits that pack into a belt pack are the best ones I find. if its really raining ,keep warm plan your breaks and stretch your legs, don't rush your journey.

sadie and I found a intercom ideal for when we done distance work, it just lets your partner know if you need a break and a leg stretch....You can always borrow our blutooth system if you wish .

just a quick note sadie bought some gel padded cycling shorts that she wears on the bike under her textiles , helps with the bum ache.

thanks jezza, i had thought about posting clothes back to us as I am sure we will want to buy some out there - either that or take crappy clothes out with us and just dump them Smile.
yes i do need to get some practicing in - the seat was fairly comfy - although i wasnt on it for 3 1/2 hours Shocked , the main problem was gettin on and off Laughing could do it just felt a bit awkward - suppose thats practice to thumbs
oh and by the way have I said - I'm going to the TT thumbsthumbsthumbspartypartypartythumbs
may take you up on that blue tooth thing - although I normally put my ipad in and listen to music Cool

If Dave is like me have to be the bike , will be so nice to ride the track , Laughing

Everything Jezza said thumbs speaking of seat pads my wife has an Airhawk inflatable which she said makes a massive difference to long range comfort. They don't come cheap but may prove a good investment. I've also got a pair of Oxford throw over panniers if you want some extra space without bolting further crap onto the bike. Take old underwear which you are prepared to bin after use, and shave your head so as to avoid the need for shampoo & conditioner. Laughing

bike Wink and if your worried about space luggage up so top box, panniers, tank bag etc. Wink

get cheap underwear from one of the big supermarkets and just bin it,also wearing lightweight layers are good ,i find rolling things into sausage shapes works well and you can pack lots,start having longer and longer rides on the bike youll soon get used to it and get Dave to find a quiet place so you can practice getting on and off the bike,youve got a bit of time till next year so dont worry it will all come together and have a few dry runs packing stuff etc thumbsthumbs

agreeagree

Plenty of time between now and then to get some hours in on the bike

2 ways to pack, roll things tight, or layer and fold. I've managed to get 2 weeks worth of clothes for 2 people ( summer time though ) in my camping backpack which isn't huge but a decent size! You'd be surprised at how small you can get clothes down to when you fold or roll them up tightly Smile

Watch this and you'll see what I mean

Been out on the bike today - stopped a few times to practice getting on and off the bike. We have decided to go on the bike - gonna go primark and buy some cheap t-shirts that we can just ditch and I already have some old trainers and old jeans I can ditch thumbs - well got to make room for the new stuff I will want to buy while I am over there partyparty

@melly wrote:
well got to make room for the new stuff I will want to buy while I am over there

You'll be needing Promenade Sports on the, erm, Promenade then. Does all manner of TT related garments. If you get to speak to Mervyn give him my name. Not that it's likely to get you a discount, but you never know! Laughing

sure you will be fine by june 2013 think everyone has said what needs saying thumbsthumbs