Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macie_UK

Darley Moor Track Walk

Was there over the weekend (for those that don't know, it's a circuit on an old airfield just south of Ashbourne) and took some pics walking around the track - apologies for the fairly poor pics but a) it was raining, b) the light was fading c) it was a cheapo camera.

Anyway, in order of the way you do it:

1. Assembly area

2. The starting grid (it's a little side road, not part of the track proper)

3. Past the control tower, everyone gets a bit kamikaze into the chicane

4. Chicane entry. You really don't want to be jostled onto the grass here

5. Chicane exit.

6. Over a small crest and downhill into Park Corner. If you defend over to the right you lose drive up the straight into the Esses, so everything comes past you. Take it wider and be prepared to be stood up mid-corner by a late arrival.

7. Then it's up a short straight into the left-right-left-right Esses. This is the second half of it.

8. Into the left-handed Townley's corner. The faster line is on the right side, but if you get blocked you have very little run off....

9. The hairpin. More of a 'hammerhead' really

10. After the hairpin there is a left hand 'kink'. Run off here is, errr, none.

11. Onto Pope Straight. Yes it's long. The trees are well protected from any errant riders by a few strategically placed tyres. Yes those are sheep in the infield, protected by a bit of banking and a nice safe wire fence. Oh, and there is a public footpath running across the straight as well.

12. Bottom end of Pope straight. Pit lane entrance on the left. Don't even think about braking before that first corner marker. Brake at the second marker and it's going to hurt...

13. Paddock Corner. Very tricky and lots of different lines used around here. Go in tight and it's easy to run out of track if you gun it before the second apex. Go in wide and expect a lemming or two to come steaming up the inside.

And there you have it. Mind you, they only do a handful of track days a year, but in October a lot of road racing lunatics descend on it, because, well, they like it.

Looks like an interesting little track thumbsShocked Also sounds like a few too many lemmings for my liking ShockedShocked The eldest would probably like it though thumbsthumbsthumbs

Last time I went the hairpin had a massive grass bank there right next to the track and it was half as wide. Oh and Percy Tait was racing. OOps showing my age

not been there since i was about 17 or 18 bare in mind I'm very nearly 55 Sad .

a gang of us went to watch another mate race (wobble round) on his 500/4.

another mate also about 17/18 was suffering from too much ham shankin Embarassed ,

He collapsed in absolute agony from a twisted testicle Sad and had to be rushed to hospital for an operation.

Yep this has brought some memories back Laughing

nice little track, we have one like that here, lydden hill, either a road track, or half road hald rally cross, thumbs

Lovelly little track thanks for sharing the pics thumbsthumbs