Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
airlock

r1 or cbr?!!

I'm looking at buying a bike here in melbourne for the city and the occasional blast in the open ozzy roads. I have managed to narrow it down to two bikes, the R1 and the cbr1000rr, in black between 06-08. im booking test rides on each but i have to admit im stuck. just about prefer the look of the yamaha but only just. has any one had experience with one or both of these bikes?

I have ridden both and would go for the blade purely down to ergonomics as I found the R1 had a far too extreme riding position. Plus the blade is a little softer in regards to being rider friendly.

@madsod wrote:
Gsxr 1000 ever time much better bike LaughingLaughing

nah im looking for an underseat pipe, also not a fan of the gsxr light.

@Robbie wrote:
I have ridden both and would go for the blade purely down to ergonomics as I found the R1 had a far too extreme riding position. Plus the blade is a little softer in regards to being rider friendly.

I agree, my son has a '58 Blade and he ehoes the same comments thumbs

@airlock wrote:
@madsod wrote:
Gsxr 1000 ever time much better bike LaughingLaughing

nah im looking for an underseat pipe, also not a fan of the gsxr light.

Bugger the lights and pipe.
The GSXR is a real riders bike.

My choice too..... thumbs

the gsxr is a great bike and all credit to suzuki for doing a great job but its not got any appeal to me, i cant get over the odd aesthetics and i just dont want to own an ugly bike so suzuki' sports bikes are out for the considerable future.

best thing to do is test ride both,ive ridden a mk1 R1 but it was too cramped and focused so i chose the thunderace thumbs

You cant let someone else pick a bike for you, try them all and decide!

I had an 07 cbr1000 for 4 years and at first i loved it but as i got to know it i started to agree with what all the magazine testers say about them,Yes theyre incredibly fast,good handling,stable and do everything very well theres just something missing from them,they just lack that bit of caricature/excitement whatever you want to call it.Its hard to say exactly whats missing,once I had got a few miles on it I really fell out with it and i wondered if I was falling out with biking but it turns out it was the bike.some people love them but personally even though ive never had an R1 i would probably go for that over the honda.good bits and bad bits of the Honda,the steering damper is fantastic,but on the other hand its probably too good at isolating all the little twitches you get through the bars,the brakes,even though theyre radially mounted theyre not a patch on the brakes on the older 954 version,reliability, its a typical Honda it will run till the end of time (or until the reg/rec packs up which is usually about 25,000 miles)the engine is very much like a big 600 in that theres not much power till it gets to about 7 or 8,000 rpm (if i remember correctly) then it all comes in at once so it can be "interesting" if you come out of a corner in too low a gear,open the throttle and get 160bhp going to the back wheel,on the other hand if you come out of the same corner a gear higher and open the throttle,nothing happens. if you do decide on the honda,dont be put off by a few miles on the clock,theyre not properly run in till theyve got 5 or 6,000 miles on them and will easily go on to do 50,000 miles+ with no problems if theyre properly looked after with regular oil changes and valve clearance checks.theres also a mod you can do to the airbox to increase the power a little if you google flapper valve mod it will show you what to do.Tyres. i used to put michelin pilot powers on mine, the original Bridgestones lasted about 3k a pair but the michelins lasted 4-4.5k rear and around 6k front. (thats miles not KM)cant think of much else for now but if I do ill post it later and if you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

@fr499y wrote:

im just after some information from someone who has ridden one or both long term. theres only so much you can learn from a 30 minute test ride and all the reviews of sports bikes are useless for learning about how a bike behaves in the real world its all track and hooligan based.

@airlock wrote:
@fr499y wrote:

im just after some information from someone who has ridden one or both long term. theres only so much you can learn from a 30 minute test ride and all the reviews of sports bikes are useless for learning about how a bike behaves in the real world its all track and hooligan based.

True True. One thing that might be worth taking into consideration is the newer sports bikes are getting smaller physically. For example, an early R1 is too much of a stretch for me, but the new ones feel like a much much smaller bike.

got all my gear today so im dead happy. off to go view an R1 tomorrow Smile