Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimmywiz

Indicator resistors helpppp

Me and the resident nutter today got a great deal from Hein Gerick on LED indicators but obviuly they flash like there no tomrow.

Now me being me ( CHEEP ) dosent want to buy the proper resistors to wire them in but i want to bodge my own.

so anyone know what Omh resitor i need to buy from Maplins tomorow to make them flash at the right rate and alos a quick guid on wireing them in.

there 1w indicators on a 23w relay.

Cheers

10 Ohm 25w resistors should do the job Smile but its just as cheap to buy the proper ones off eBay ( around £1.50 each? )

If i remember correctly this is how its done

@fr499y wrote:
10 Ohm 25w resistors should do the job Smile

sweet and how would i wire that in - just on the front indicators and bridges the poistive and negitive on each indicator - or something dirfrannt

just edited my post above with a piccy not 100% on the ohms but I'm sure 10 will be enough for it

@fr499y wrote:
just edited my post above with a piccy not 100% on the ohms but I'm sure 10 will be enough for it
and is that per indicator or just on the front ones

im sure you will need a resistor for each indicator. Sure someone can confirm for me.

oit!! and i dont want a bodge, but £18 for a set of reayd made ones :/ bit steep for some 20p resistors

lol i wont bodged it - hehehe - might make some heat sinks for them tomorw tho - crackof dawn down to maplins - oh and chad remind me to bolt my dash back on in the morning - made a bracket up for that clock

just get a new relay , cost about £5 of ebay no pissing about with wires ,

@madsod wrote:
just get a new relay , cost about £5 of ebay no pissing about with wires ,
agree i got one for the bandit for about£12

Best to get the correctly loaded relay, trouble with putting a resistor in is that there wont be any bulb failure warning, unless you use intelligent resistors but they're mega buck

my bikes resisted and indicators are mint Smile but whats strange is 1 resistor on each indicator wouldnt work, so 2 on rear ones and 1 on front ones so 6 in total, and it works fine, strange but works fine. very bright. ill get piccies tomorrow.

james on the other hand, he decided to use an old bumb indicator as a resistance and it blew his fuses that set his alarm crazy that blue the fuse on that, which means the alarm wouldnt stop so we stripped the battery. but the bike was still immobilised, to mr rac to the rescue Laughing

Glad I found this thread. My indicators are playing merry hell, they aren't even LED, bought 3 relays, none made any difference. bearing in mind my bike is a Suzi GN 250 I tried my friends relay off his Yammy TW 125 and for some bizarre reason it worked, although they blinked a bit quick.

With the relays specifically for the GN 250 they either didn't blink at all or just didn't come on :/

I'm guessing a new alternative relay and a resistor might be the way forward?

Is it possible for a faulty Rectifier to cause indicator issues? Just trying to figure out a theory a friend threw at me

Is it possible for a faulty Rectifier to cause indicator issues? Just trying to figure out a theory a friend threw at me
cant see how as the indicator will work when the bike is not running . bad earth , bad relay etc ,

as madsod said i wouldnt have thought so,check relay loose wires etc also helps givng the loom a once over and cleaning connectors etc thumbs

fair enough, it's just the earth seems absolutely fine and I've tried several different relays so i'm having trouble diagnosing the problem. The best result I got the indicators blinked too quickly, the worst being they came on but didn't blink at all. Tried a resistor and they blinked too quick but dim

another thing to try is if your bulbs are 21 watt swap em for 23 watt bulbs stopped mine flashing too fast on one of my old bikes thumbs

If you have fitted a good relay and the indicators arent flashing
it must be a bad connection in the circuit
the flash rate is determined by the amount of current being drawn thriough
the flasher relay
ie if its a fast rate then insufficient current is being drawn ( too low a wattage bulb )
if it slow then excess current is being drawn ( too high a wattage bulb )

dont think yours is a wattage problem but a connection fault or broken wire