Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stue11

Part Worn Tyres..

Has ive worked in the rubber industry for 20years i know a thing or 2..but as its me job and not hobby i tend not to join in on any Tyre issues as i see it has work and not pleasure, but theres one subject i cannot agree on...Part Worn Tyres..

Heres a subject and few facts for you all to read and make your own minds up on...

Each year in the uk, more than 1,200 motorists are injured in an accident where illegal, defective or under-inflated tyres are a contributory factor.

To maximise the life of your tyres are enhance your safetyon the roads, tyresafe recommends regular checks of your tyre pressure, tread depth and general tyre condition.

When replacing your tyres, tyresafe strongly recommends the fitting of new tyres.

However, tyresafe recognises that legislation exists which permits the sale of part worn tyres, subject to them meeting a number of criteria. You should be aware that a part worn tyres that do not meet these legal requirments pose a risk to you, your passengers and other road users.

Under the motor vehicle tyres (safety) regulations 1994 (reg.7.) part of the consumer protection act, it is an offence for anyone to sell part worn tyres that do not meet the following principle requirments.

1 The structural integrity must not be compromised. It should be free of large cuts, any buldges or lumps both internally and externally. No plies or cords should be exposed.

2 Tyres must have passed an inflation test prior to sale...strongly agree with this as ive had a mini tyre with 40 psi explode on me a few year ago..the wheel didnt hit me when it exploaded..the force of the explotion fractured me eye socket and bust me nose Shocked

3 The original grooves must still be clearly visible in their entirety and must be a depth of at least 2mm accross the full breadth of the tread, around its entire circumference.

4 Part worn tyres which have not been clearly retreaded must clearly show the relevent E mark alongside which PART WORN ,MUST be permanently and legibly applied in letters at least 4mm high. These words cannot be hot branded or cut into the tyre.

5 Part worn tyres which have been retreaded must show the relevant British Standards mark as applied at the time of retreading alongside which 'PART WORN' must be permanentaly and legibly applied in letters at at least 4mm high. These words cannot be hot branded or cut into the tyre. Retreaded tyres must also show speed category and load capacity index marks in accordance with BS AU 144e 1998.

6 Any repair to a part worn tyre must have been carried out in accordance with passenger 4-7 of BS AU 159.

Many drivers who buy part worn tyres do so because they believe they offer better value for money. However, this isnt necessarily the case.Rather than just considering the initial purchase price, drivers should look at the cost per mm of useable tyre.

New tyres are normally sold with 8mm of tread depth whereas a part worn tyres may have as little as 2mm of tread. With a legal minimum tread depth of 1.6mm in the uk, the cost per mm of useable tread of part worn tyres can be considerably more than that of a new tyre. Equally, a part worn tyre will need to be replaced again much sooner than a new tyre meaning further expenditure will be required.

Adequate tread depth is essential for safe driving on wet roads. The tread grooves help to remove water from the contact patch between the tyre and the road surface, which is essential for effective acceleration, cornering and braking.

A tyre with lower tread depth levels is less affective at removing water from the road, leading to longer stopping distaces and reduced road safety. Indeed, according to tests conducted by the British Tyre manufacturers association, breaking distance in wet weather of a tyre with only 1.6mm of tread depth is almost 12m longer than a new tyre from 50mph.

So please please please guys and gals think twice when purchasing your rubber its your life in your own hands... thumbsthumbsthumbs

Good read Stue. Would never even contemplate anything other than new tyres thumbs

100% with you on this and many of the part worn have not been inspected thoroughly by an "expert" and are not marked accordingly. I see part worn budget tyres at a higher price than new of the same make.

Now this must be good value the seller thinks, what you reckon Stue? £30 tyre + £10 delivery + £10 fitting = £50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-165-60-14-CONTINENTAL-ECO-CONTACT-EP-T-USED-TYRES-/200673967689?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item2eb919be49

@Kenb wrote:
100% with you on this and many of the part worn have not been inspected thoroughly by an "expert" and are not marked accordingly. I see part worn budget tyres at a higher price than new of the same make.

Now this must be good value the seller thinks, what you reckon Stue? £30 tyre + £10 delivery + £10 fitting = £50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-165-60-14-CONTINENTAL-ECO-CONTACT-EP-T-USED-TYRES-/200673967689?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item2eb919be49

LaughingLaughing def not i sell Michelin energy in the same size for £70 thumbs

good read that stue,heard something on the radio about that it said about the damage inside the tyre you cant see as well,its just dicing with death.

I agree when you have some thing the size of your foot print saving yer life it better bloody good! Bridgstones do it for me. never mess with shyit tyres.........

@dick65 wrote:
good read that stue,heard something on the radio about that it said about the damage inside the tyre you cant see as well,its just dicing with death.
A tyre can look perfect on the outside..and the inside could be ruined with cord damage Shocked

Off to buy part worn tmoz, looks like someone's stabbed my tyre, and I'm broke this month so got to borrow the £15 off mum till payday

Interesting read Stue. I've never bought a "Part-worn" tyre, always bought new. Sometimes a "budget" tyre, but like many, it's what finances allow at the time. thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Kenb wrote:

Therefore your new tyre works out with 8mm tread at £8.75 per mm.

The part worn say 5mm tread remaining £10 per mm with the potential to cause serious injury or worse.

With 4mm tread remaining its £12.50 per mm.

@Kenb wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@Kenb wrote:

Therefore your new tyre works out with 8mm tread at £8.75 per mm.

The part worn say 5mm tread remaining £10 per mm with the potential to cause serious injury or worse.

With 4mm tread remaining its £12.50 per mm.
agreethumbs

More useless facts.

The part worn above with 4mm of tread will work out at £100 for the tyre when compared with a new 8mm Michelin at £70.

Good read Stue, although it would be nice to know how much of those accident stats were in relation to part worn boots. I'll admit to buying 'part worn' in the past, primarily dictated by finances and the desire to stay 'legal' for a bit. Been a couple of years though, mainly because local place typically wants £25 fitted with about 3mm and other local place will do a new no-name budget for £40... Yes I would have much preferred a nice set of Michs all round, but not when the cost is more than the car is worth Laughing

@Stue11 wrote:

Now if you did SC1s or Metz Interacts for that we could be friends foflfofl

@Kenb wrote:
More useless facts.

The part worn above with 4mm of tread will work out at £100 for the tyre when compared with a new 8mm Michelin at £70.
agree Ken nows stuff thumbs

i had a part worn go bang 20 years ago and ive never used them again i use maxxis tyres on me taxi £50 each and never had any bother with them