Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grumpyowl

Tyre advice Stu. Other imput welcome

I know most of it is down to personal preference etc

My Hayabusa has original fitment bt015 m bridgestones which are good tyres no probs with them I'm due a new rear.
They are sports tyres so mileage is secondary.

For not too much more £ I can get Avon storm ultra 2 front and back
That should give out a lot more mileage

Also there are new michelin pilot road 3 2ct sports tourer tyres not listed for mine But could I safely use them.?
They list the pilot power3 2ct. Sports tyres.

I don't do track days like my week abroad and do like a bit of spirited road riding but not stupid within my limits..

I did run Avon Azaros on my old Thunderaces which did suit the bike well
That's why I'm attracted to the Avon storms.

I want value for money but it is my hobby so will pay out if I have to.

Any opinions ?

Stick to the sports for my bike or go sport touring option

thumbs

I have Avon storm on one of my RF and can not fault them , did have michelin pilot on the GSXR , also a very good tyre , but for day to day use , i would go for the AVON ever time

@Davehutch wrote:
all I can say is I have road pilot 3's on my king and can't fault them , will deffo be useing them again

+1. I'm sure Road Pilots will exceed your requirements mate thumbs

Im running bt023s and have got 3000 miles and i could most probably get another couple thumbs they are sports touring btw

used michelin a lot but the Ace came with bridgestone 21's when those wore out put a pair of continental conti motions on last year and i cant fault them great wet grip as well,fitting a pair to the thundercat soon thumbs

Thanks for the replies tyre questions are like asking how long is a piece of string.

You've all given me plenty to think about Ta very much.

Stu I've had Bt023 gt version with the strenghthend walls which would probably be better for the Busa yes I thought they were very good.

pint everyone
pepsi Dave

@Grumpyowl wrote:
Thanks for the replies tyre questions are like asking how long is a piece of string.

You've all given me plenty to think about Ta very much.

Stu I've had Bt023 gt version with the strenghthend walls which would probably be better for the Busa yes I thought they were very good.

pint everyone
pepsi Dave
thumbsthumbs

well seing as you asked about 2 types of tyre, the storm 2 ultra are bloody brilliant! Had them on the zed through winter. Warmed up quickly, had 3,000 miles on them and still looked like new! they come out a bit on the large side so a 190 for my zed turned out to be 196 so the 190 on the busa might be a good choice ( most go down from 200 to 190 anyway ) thumbs

@fr499y wrote:
well seing as you asked about 2 types of tyre, the storm 2 ultra are bloody brilliant! Had them on the zed through winter. Warmed up quickly, had 3,000 miles on them and still looked like new! they come out a bit on the large side so a 190 for my zed turned out to be 196 so the 190 on the busa might be a good choice ( most go down from 200 to 190 anyway ) thumbs

Very interesting reply this.
The Busa runs a 190/50 anyway I think the King has the 200.

Like a kid in a sweet shop I had almost made my mind up about the Michelins.

When I've run Avons before I've liked them and a pair of Avons fitted to lose wheels are about £50 cheaper.

Real food for thought here thumbsthumbs

@Grumpyowl wrote:
@fr499y wrote:

When I've run Avons before I've liked them and a pair of Avons fitted to lose wheels are about £50 cheaper.

yes the king was 200 but was advised to go 190/55 and it works well

my bad got them mixed up heh Embarassed If you really wanna throw a spanner in the works, then the new Avon 3D Ultra Supersport are cracking tyres ( They replaced the VP2 supersport which i loved ) more sporty than the storm 2 ultra's but still have a good life

@fr499y wrote:
my bad got them mixed up heh Embarassed If you really wanna throw a spanner in the works, then the new Avon 3D Ultra Supersport are cracking tyres ( They replaced the VP2 supersport which i loved ) more sporty than the storm 2 ultra's but still have a good life

Bloody hell I'm confused enough LaughingLaughing

I must be sad getting this excited about new tyres thumbs

What I really need is A Flaming Hot summer to use them sunny

@Grumpyowl wrote:
@fr499y wrote:

Bloody hell I'm confused enough LaughingLaughing

I must be sad getting this excited about new tyres thumbs

What I really need is A Flaming Hot summer to use them sunny
I drink to that jim sunnypepsi

Whilst a lot of people are very happy with the Avon Storm tyres I've heard of several who found them "vague" in the wet and a couple of unwanted/ unpredictable slides in the wet. Also one completely delaminated on a BMW, though I haven't heard of another going that way.

That being said, all the sports and sports/touring tyres from the major manufacturers are excellent on our bigger bikes and their capabilities far exceed our mere mortal ability. The 190/55 rear section is so much better than the stock 200/50 on the B-King, so I expect this size would be equally good on the Busa. FWIW I currently have Dunlop Qualifier 2s on the B-King for road use and a super sticky Shinko drag rear for quarter mile racing.

Old and Disgraceful racer2racer2racer2

@Davehutch wrote:
@Grumpyowl wrote:
@fr499y wrote:

yes the king was 200 but was advised to go 190/55 and it works well

Similar scenario to mine. Standard factory fitment is 190/50 but a lot of owners recommend going to 190/55.

@ptolemyx wrote:
Whilst a lot of people are very happy with the Avon Storm tyres I've heard of several who found them "vague" in the wet and a couple of unwanted/ unpredictable slides in the wet. Also one completely delaminated on a BMW, though I haven't heard of another going that way.

That being said, all the sports and sports/touring tyres from the major manufacturers are excellent on our bigger bikes and their capabilities far exceed our mere mortal ability. The 190/55 rear section is so much better than the stock 200/50 on the B-King, so I expect this size would be equally good on the Busa. FWIW I currently have Dunlop Qualifier 2s on the B-King for road use and a super sticky Shinko drag rear for quarter mile racing.

thumbs ptolemyx

I think I'm going to give the mich road 3 ago

The standard size is 190/50
Why do you king guys go for the 55 profile over the 50?

Jim.

The 55 has a more triangular profile than the 50 also turns in a little quicker and tends to not square off so quick.

@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
The 55 has a more triangular profile than the 50 also turns in a little quicker and tends to not square off so quick.
and it does thumbs

I know 'cause I just said it Very Happy Although I may be corrected Laughing

@Robbie wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
and it does thumbs

I know 'cause I just said it Very Happy Although I may be corrected Laughing
Jim was asking "Why do you king guys go for the 55 profile over the 50?"

In reply to your answer I said "and it does" because I have rode the KING with both profiles

This muppet has had stock 200/50, 190/50 and 190/55 rear tyres on B-kings from various mainstream manufacturers. Whilst I haven't really noticed much difference between makes of tyre ("normal" road riding) I really noticed how much better at turning in to a corner and changing line the 190/55 section is. That said my drag race Shinko is 190/50 which has a much larger upright contact patch than my road tyre.

EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed

Thanks for your opinions.
Slight change of plans
Went for just changing the back cheapest option as front is fine.
Bridgestone BT015 m fitment 190/50. £139 fitted to loose wheel
Valve and balance.

Will do me for this year then get the Power road 3s next spring

Bought Cardo Scala team set pro intercom so her indoors can Nag at me when we're both out on bike. Laughing

Faster Grumpy Faster NOT..