Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steve p

lightning strikes twice

Despite still having a list of jobs as long as my arm still to do in the new house last Monday i decided to put some more miles on the SP to get closer to that 600 mile first service/ oil change. After about 30 miles of medium paced riding at no more than 7 1/2 thousand revs i looked down to see the oil pressure light on the dash! S**T! Now bearing in mind that this bike needed a brand new engine after my last oil shortage issue last year this was the last thing i wanted to see. I imediately stopped the bike and checked the oil level in the sight glass which was ok. I started the engine but the light stayed on but didnt appear to be noisey or suffering so thinking that any damage was allready done i started slowly back towards home with the light still on. A mile down the road i banked round a corner and the light went off. I stopped again and restarted to check the bulb hadn't blown and it came on in the pre check then went off when i started again. I gradually picked up pace and ended up giving it some beans for the last 5 miles home with no further oil light issues.To be safe i did a full oil change today and dropped the sump and cleaned out the oil strainer and fitted a new filter then took it for a 15 mile spin with no issues. There were only a couple of very small specs of metal in the strainer but a few bits of sealent mastic so am hoping it was just debris fouling the pressure switch. The chap that tuned my engine said this has been known and is sure that if there had have been a propper oil issue the bike would be no longer running by now. But for the next few miles there will be something in the back of my mind. Maybe i should just put some black tape over the oil light thumbs

Nightmare, Steve affraidaffraid I would definitely take it easy for the next few rides until your sure no damage has been done, the last thing you need is the engine seizing at a rapid rate of knots, hope all is well mate! thumbs

Thanks mate, i will be taking it easy ha ha after all its a sports bike but yes i know what you mean. I missed out on last year due to being off the road so i would like to go to a few meets this year plus there will be about 40 SP1's and SP2's meeting at the National Bike Museum on Sunday May 12th in memory of Andy Devlin who lost his battle with cancer last year and was an SP1 owner on the facebook site. If anyone here is interested it is open to anyone who wants to hear 40 big twins having the nuts reved off them for a minute Very Happy i will be pretending lol

Considering what happened before no one can blame you for being cautious.
Better safe than sorry.
thumbs

Nightmare, Steve affraidaffraid I would definitely take it easy for the next few rides until your sure no damage has been done, the last thing you need is the engine seizing at a rapid rate of knots, hope all is well mate! thumbs

agreethumbs

@dick65 wrote:

agreethumbs
I agree too thumbs

same thing happened to my b12 a few years ago apparently after they have stood a long time in the cold weather the initial start up damages the oil pressure switch thumbs

Just to be safe I would change the pressure switch, it may not be reliable.
Keith

To be honest the pressure switches normally tell you when its too late but i will change it anyway as it can be embarrassing when you poo in your leathers Very Happy

@steve p wrote:
To be honest the pressure switches normally tell you when its too late but i will change it anyway as it can be embarrassing when you poo in your leathers Very Happy

always a worry when things like that happen!!

Always managed to avoid that so far ....... ShockedShocked

@steve p wrote:

Have a go on an SP1 Very Happy

@steve p wrote:
@steve p wrote:

Appreciate the offer, but think I'll stick with the ZX thumbsShockedLaughingLaughingLaughing

@steve p wrote:
@steve p wrote:

Appreciate the offer, but think I'll stick with the ZX thumbsShockedLaughingLaughingLaughing

dont blame you lol