Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

case study

My daughter is doing her bike theory beginning of May so been getting a few questions lately here's one for you....say the answer that comes to mind, No looking up  No 
You are about to go on a camping holiday and are to be carrying a heavy tent you put your luggage into panniers and tank bag, where should the tent be carried :
1 ..... panniers
2...... tank bag
3...... back pack
4...... top box

I will give the answer tonight, this is from the latest motorcyclist highway code, remember no cheating  study shake finger 

top box would make the most sense as the weight will be even.
Panniers, nope because of weight distribution
tank bag? why would anyone think of putting a tent in a tank bag?
Backpack is a no go-er because of the weight on your back.

Now if its a heavy tent, then no boxes would be recommended, im sure the weight limit on most boxes is 10KG tops.

I just strap it to the luggage rack with a fair few bungee straps  thumbs 

But in the case of the highway code, top box

i'm with you there, across the top box nice and central. We obviously assume this is a 1 or 2 or 3 man tent not those gazebos i see pitched up

i'll go for backpack  Laughing  is there a prize mike?

My first reflex would be panniers. Split the the tent and balance the weight. However, I think the answer will be backpack   thumbs

thumbs thumbs  Well done all some really good thought out answers (especially Mark  fofl ) I got it wrong as I said top box Embarassed  (even though I strap mine to the rear seat in front of top box) a lot of you were right thinking weight distribution as this is what the highway code quoted as the reason for the location in the answer, which is ............wait for it........TANK BAG!!  Rolling Eyes all I can say is it must be a bloody big tank bag or a very small HEAVY tent (don't forget it already said luggage already packed in tank bag) there is loads like this and Katherine is trying to learn them parrot fashion and not use common sense

thumbs thumbs  Well done all some really good thought out answers (especially Mark  fofl ) I got it wrong as I said top box Embarassed  (even though I strap mine to the rear seat in front of top box) a lot of you were right thinking weight distribution as this is what the highway code quoted as the reason for the location in the answer, which is ............wait for it........TANK BAG!!  Rolling Eyes all I can say is it must be a bloody big tank bag or a very small HEAVY tent (don't forget it already said luggage already packed in tank bag) there is loads like this and Katherine is trying to learn them parrot fashion and not use common sense

Obviously written by someone who has never ridden a bike, especially with a tent strapped to it. A tank bag   Shocked    affraid    affraid    affraid

Obviously written by someone who has never ridden a bike, especially with a tent strapped to it. A tank bag   Shocked    affraid    affraid    affraid

to the T.

I should of guessed that right! *tank bag? why would anyone think of putting a tent in a tank bag?* Written by someone who has never touched a bike, let alone traveled with one geared up.

I'd leave the B' thing at home and book in somewhere--Fek the tent.. thumbs 

Seriously tho' at the lowest centre of gravity--either side of me panniers..??