Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Had a bit of a twiddle finally

I've had my Triumph well over a year and never quite got on with the front end. Seemed hard and lifeless, so finally l set the forks back to factory settings as a start point. What a difference! Dunno if the previous owner was a bit of a munter, but preload, compression and damping were all stiffer than stock. Might try lowering the yokes a tad as well. I feel quite encouraged by my evening's work  Very Happy 

thumbs  nice one can't beat a bit of a twiddle!!! especially if the outcome is good.

I've had my Triumph well over a year and never quite got on with the front end. Seemed hard and lifeless, so finally l set the forks back to factory settings as a start point.  What a difference! Dunno if the previous owner was a bit of a munter, but preload, compression and damping were all stiffer than stock. Might try lowering the yokes a tad as well. I feel quite encouraged by my evening's work  Very Happy 

try putting a washer or two under the rear shock mount rather than lowering the forks.

I've had my Triumph well over a year and never quite got on with the front end. Seemed hard and lifeless, so finally l set the forks back to factory settings as a start point.  What a difference! Dunno if the previous owner was a bit of a munter, but preload, compression and damping were all stiffer than stock. Might try lowering the yokes a tad as well. I feel quite encouraged by my evening's work  Very Happy 

try putting a washer or two under the rear shock mount rather than lowering the forks.

Yes I was thinking about that, although for my VFR originally.
 pint

Its a lot easier than getting the front up in the air for one and also you lose ground clearance if you drop the forks but gain it if you raise the rear. Another thing to think about, if you lower the front the bike will sit more upright on the sidestand and be much easier to knock over.

@Davehutch wrote:
nice 1 m8 , you had it up on your lift yet ?

no, not least cuz Ros has buried it in other stuff. I can see the floor now I'll grant you, but I can't do feck all  Laughing 

Its a lot easier than getting the front up in the air for one and also you lose ground clearance if you drop the forks but gain it if you raise the rear. Another thing to think about, if you lower the front the bike will sit more upright on the sidestand and be much easier to knock over.

The other snag is that my Speedy doesn't have a bolt fitting at either end, it's two eyelets. Would have to be dogbones really.  Smile 

Good news mate  thumbs  Why do you want to lover the front, isn't it turning in quick enough?

@Macie_UK wrote:

Good news mate  thumbs  Why do you want to lover the front, isn't it turning in quick enough?

It just seems a bit reluctant compared to my other bikes. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on it but I don't seem to be able to handle it as naturally somehow. Could be me of course.  confused 

I like a nice "twiddle", now & again---even at my age--

Have been messing with my suspension for a month and still not quite happy with it. So was thinking for next season change the front springs to ohlins and put a better rear shock on her. thumbs 

Took off another half turn of compression front and rear as I'm only a little lightweight. Much more comfy over the rough stuff. Did another massive handling improvement too...... Embarassed 
blew the tyres up. 22psi front and rear which is not where you want to be hide

Took off another half turn of compression front and rear as I'm only a little lightweight. Much more comfy over the rough stuff. Did another massive handling improvement too...... Embarassed 

Always useful   thumbs    Shocked

Always useful   thumbs    Shocked

Unless you run Dunlop NTECs - 15psi in the rear on a day like today....