Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

helmet advice

This will be my second helmet purchase. The first was a rushed affair meaning I now have a noisy rubbish helmet. I popped into a shop today (race leathers in darwen) and realised (as has been said before) internet is not the way shop for a helmet. There's no substitute to trying the stuff first.
     Here is my dilema. If I opt for a higher budget lid ( £350-450), and went for a modular type, do the horror stories of chin bar failure on impact still apply?
    Secondly, it was implied that higher budget lid last longer ( 5-7 years) compared to sub £250 lids. If I spend more money, is it generally feasible to keep a lid that long ( 5 years) without wanting to change it or the innards going baggy because of washing them?

I wont go any way other than arai my last one lasted me 3 years before a drop. which took a nice chunk out of it. was a chaser all the inners come out and can be replaced etc and anything goes wrong take it back ont he 5 year warrenty and they will sort it.

i now have an access and it is still good but i prefer the chaser as the inners dont remove etc, so next time ill spend that extra £60

I wont go any way other than arai my last one lasted me 3 years before a drop. which took a nice chunk out of it. was a chaser all the inners come out and can be replaced etc and anything goes wrong take it back ont he 5 year warrenty and they will sort it.

i now have an access and it is still good but i prefer the chaser as the inners dont remove etc, so next time ill spend that extra £60

+1 as Chad says Arai's have removable inners, they also come in different sizes so you can tailor the helmet to fit you perfectly and if they do start to feel a bit baggy all you need to do is buy a set of cheek pads for about £40. I had an Arai for about 6 years before it started to feel a bit loose so thats what I did, had a crash a couple of weeks after though and wrecked it.
Most manufacturers reccomend you change them every 5 years anyway, thats if you wear it every day though.

I am a big believer in the fit is more important than the price , and to change it regular , if you wear ear plugs wind noise is no problem anyway

@Davehutch wrote:
I am a big believer in the fit is more important than the price , and to change it regular , if you wear ear plugs wind noise is no problem anyway

Same here. I always try on before buying   thumbs

I prefer shoei as I find the wind noise is less than most.but saying that I had a shark and that was good to. But I always try to buy the best that I can afford.

hi friends,,

Skully AR-1 helmet is the world's smartest motorcycle helmet.The design pushes all the information a rider needs onto a heads-up display right in the visor. The most useful feature is provided by a wide-angle camera housed in the back of the helmet that captures a near 180-degree image of the road behind the rider, including blind spots on either side. Riders see this as a transparent display floating just off the center of the field.