Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madcarper

chic

come home from work Friday found a little blackbird chick on my drive not quite fully feathered so it could not fly and very weak, put it in a polishing cloth in side a box to warm it up tried to feed it with a syringe but it was just to weak. so left him to warm through see if it comes round which it did and started taking food which was boiled egg biscuit and milk mushed up and in a syringe dripped into its mouth.
Saturday morning he was chirping and hopping about my son fed it and kept it clean but it seemed a bit weak again when I came in from work later so I fed it some more and it seemed to respond. couple of hours later it was proper weak and barely moving I feared the worst and unfortunately later that evening it died..
we tried our best but I think it was out of the nest too long. lifes frail innit.

we have a 7ft high beech hedge around our garden and in the early hours of fri morn there was a fracas in the garden I thought it was a cat or magpie so could have something to do with that . I checked for nests but the only one there was empty, later I saw a blackbird often flying back in to it with nesting material shame it had no chics in as I would have tried putting the chic in.

the thought of giving it a quick exit did cross my mind briefly dave but gave it a chance instead we did try to get in touch with pdsa but could get no answer.

we had the same thing happen every damn year at our old house. Cat used to destroy the nest and was forever finding dead babies on the floor. Rescued one last year though Smile

I had a similar experience when I was younger. I little chick barely breathing. Nursed it through the night and it lived. Nowadays when I feel like an arse or sorry for myself, I remember that experience and it warms my heart. good try though.