Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newleaf

Kitchen Table

This is a situation where I need some wisdom.
A friend stopped by yesterday. We are in modest circumstances. Very little furniture. We cant eat dinner together as a family. She tried to convince me to buy a smaller one with chairs that curve. I said no I need straight back chairs for the booster seat to fit well. Then she said we shouldn't buy a nice set b/c we have kids. (the new set is used and only 100.00!) not cherry wood!
She had lent us some furniture a chair and table and commented we should have used coasters on the table. The whole thing upset me.I feel we need to give her furniture back. Thanks!

If I had to make this choice I would purchase what I could afford and what would work for my family and not borrow from my neighbor. Only because then if something happens to it you feel responsible to repair or purchase and may not be what you would have picked.

Hope this helps,

Connie

We are going to buy the 100.00 set as it is what we need and is affordable.
We are going to give back her furniture asap.Doesnt the Bible say not to borrow?

Hi Justblueskies....Honestly, I think your friend was rude to say that you should use coasters. If she were that picky about lending you a table with a chair (did she really give you only one chair?!), she shouldn't have offered it. I have a 2 year old (almost 2) and she's a disaster when she eats. Your friend should have known that by lending the table to you, it was going to be used by kids too. If my daughter saw a coaster, she'd start chewing it! She wouldn't carefully set her sippy cup on a coaster between sips. Anyhow, I think she's rude and I would've felt the same way you did.

I don't think it's wrong to borrow. God promises that "you will lend and not borrow." Meaning that you will be in a place in your life where you won't have to borrow because you'll have so much abundance that you'll lend instead. Sometimes when we're going through stuff, God lets us go through a time of thin finances so that we will lean on Him and trust in Him. Borrowing can be a blessing because you need what you need and God will allow somebody to have extra. Your friend should've just given you the table. If she already has one, why would she need that one? True friends give. They don't try to control others by monitoring the things they lend out. Maybe God was trying to show you a side of your friend that you needed to see. Stingy and controlling come to mind.

God bless you! I pray God that you touch Justblueskies' finances miraculously and quickly Lord. I pray God that your favor falls upon her family. I ask Lord that you bring them into a time of feast very soon and for the famine to end. I pray God that you'll give this family peace as well as double portion blessings. That you'll release their inheritance to them. I pray for an overwhelming sense of peace. I pray for joy to push out the feelings of anxiety. I pray for people to visit them with gifts of money, food, furniture, clothes, anything they need today Father. Send them loving people to help them get over this hump and to encourage them that blue skies are around the corner. Thank you Jesus for tending to us all, your little sheep. Amen. God bless you sister! You're precious!

Hi there justblueskies, I agree w/Dove and yourself to just by the table. We aren't in a place to buy things we want so a lot of the times I have to do like you and buy what I can afford, I'm a tightwad too so I usually by what's cheaper anyways..lol I dont' think there is anything wrong w/borrowing, but sometimes I don't feel it's right w/certain people. It does appear your friend didn't borrow w/a cheerful heart. I understand how you feel, but don't let it bother you, just give her the furniture back and thank for for lending them to you. But I would take advice from her w/a grain a salt, you know what you need, what works best for your family and having kids doesn't mean things get destroyed, we just have to teach our children how to use things - well you know that your a mom. My daughter uses coaster cuz we do, but it didn't stop her from banging toys on the table and denting it..lol Personally I think the 100.00 table sounds like a good deal. Oh, and I'm sure you know God already knows what you need, just continue to lean on him & trust him in this time, you will be surprised how he will bless you. I was where you were at one time when we were expecting our first daughter, I had friends give me tons of wonderful clothes she literally had enough clothes for that 1st year that I really didn't have to buy anything, God used people to give us cash - yes cash! People bought food/grocieries and baby food/formula, diapers you name it. No, I wasn't busy telling my business to anyone (my mom knew how tight it was) but everyone just gave because they felt like it or they heard God tell them too, and from looking at us you wouldn't know that we couldn't afford food or that I was biting my nails wondering if we would have enough to buy formula for my daughter. But God knew, he knew what I needed and when I needed it and he always provided - I kinda feel stupid that I ever let worry enter my mind. I'm sure you already know that but I just wanted to give you some encouraging words - God hears your prayers and he will provide to you, not through borrowing but it ways you can't imagine! I know that was not what your question was, but that was in my heart to share w/you!

God bless you - I will continue to lift you up in prayer! Flower Power

i have to say thank you sooooo much for your prayers.
We bought the table which enables us to eat together as a family.
Dont know why the friend was so against us buying it. It hurt me but I forgave her -felt we really needed it to improve my child's table manners she starts school in the Fall.
My neighbor is giving us her baby's carseat and stroller.
We have received 3 offers to buy an old truck part from craigslist.
Best of all I see an improvement with my husband. It was so bad with him I didnt know what to do but he is reading his Bible again and listening to CHristian radio.
And out of nowhere a relative offered us $5000 to buy a new car.It is a car I would not have ever considered-way out of reach. the value is 17000 they will sell it to me for 11000. I will use my student loan $ 4000 and we will have to finance only 2000 more.(My car didn't qualify for cash for clunkers--was hit by a woman last winter and smashed requiring a lot of work
.No one was hurt.Sometimes bad things like the car being hit
happen so God can bless you with something better.

PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!! WOW! You should post this in the testimony part of the forum! Thank you God! God, please keep the blessings flowing on Justblueskies's family! Let her cup run over, pressed down, and shaken together! Thank you God!

praiseGod - blessings coming in ways you didn't think! Glory to God!