Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrew Brown

guides verse fathers

Could someone explain the difference between a "guide" and a "father", in regards to Paul saying to the Corinthians you have many guides but few fathers.

Hello Andrew,

I am unsure the translation you are using.

The words in deferent translations …can change or add to a scripture.

I like the King James , when searching into dept on scriptures and meanings.

In the kj, it says 1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand iiinstructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers:

There seems to be a division as to the asp Paul’s authority he is pointing out to the church. . That they might have thousands of instructors but he was as a father to them.

He was a soul winner and its possible he had led some of the church to Christ.

He saw him self as a spiritual father to them. and had won the right to give them scriptural correction and advice. . And was pleading with the church as a father.

This scripture must be under stood as one reads the entire chapter.

To me a guide is not really the proper word in this text.. But a guide does

lead one.

Hope this helps sunshine

That is fine, I will use instructor instead, what I want to know is when Paul admonishes them, "be imitators of me" vs 16 in being a father and not just an instructor what is the difference, is it simply one who leads another to Christ. What were the instructors doing, and when he said you have not many fathers he obviously wanted them to be a father instead of instructor
any thoughts

Do you think the father Paul was talking about meant "Father of the Gospel"? When you think of a father you think of one who is an example and one who leads down the correct path. An instuctor is one who teaches, but not necessarily one who is an example or who leads.

I hope this makes sense.

um i remeba the verse sayin many teachers,,but not many fathers,,i guess fathers do just that,,they also reproduce,,its been my experiance that ther r few fathers in the faith,, ,,,hope this helps,, D

To instruct is to give direction. To be a father is to take responsibility and leadership. To direct with fatherly love. To correct, rebuke and encourage. I hope that is of help to you.

Love in Jesus,

Connie