Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

My father in law's health updates.

I'm not posting this to get advice, as I know what it is I have to do, but it does put a damper on things in a way. Last night I found out that my Papa (he's my father in law, but he'll always be Papa to me) was diagnosed with a tumor and will have to have surgery on the 14th of this month to have it removed. He and Mama (my mother in law) will leave for Berlin and probably stay there until just before Christmas. We plan to leave around the 20th, but may come up to an empty apartment or leave just prior to the holiday. Not that I mind that, I just want Papa to come through the surgery alright and not have to see another hospital for a long while.

He has been through so much this past year, and I hate to see him suffer. So, please give a thought out for him during the coming weeks, it would mean a lot to me. He's such a special person, and when I came into the family some fourteen years ago, he welcomed me with open arms.

This must be particualary hard for you at this time of year, every thing magnifies at Christmas time Sad

My thoughts are with you hun, and if you ever want to talk about anything, then I'm always here for you. Sometimes its easier to talk to someone not involved so you can say what you want without worrying about upsetting them :friends:

I hope your papa's surgery goes well for him,..please let us know how he is xxx

Thank you. I will post an update on how he's doing. Mama and I both have faith that he will be alright, but it seems that our family has had a lot of issues involving health this year. My husband's uncle had to have chemo earlier this year for his cancer, and now this. We hope and pray that Papa's is not cancerous, but he's dealing with pain, so that's not good.

I'm just glad that my husband's brother is willing to help him get an operation scheduled with a notable surgeon. That's something nice about having a family member who is a doctor.

I'm so sad to hear about your father in law. It makes it even more difficult when it's this time of year. I too have great inlaws who I refer to as Mom and Dad and if anything happend to them I would be very worried and upset as well. :hugs: I'll be thinking of you, your mama and hoping your papa gets through his surgery quickly and safetly and that all of you have a Merry Christmas even with everything going on.

Thank you. Mama and I spoke on Thursday, and they are getting ready to go. I was glad that we got to talk, and hope that this afternoon I can call them. I'm glad that I'm not the only person with great in-laws though. I could write a book on all the weird looks I get when I refer to mine in such a way. Smile

sad to hear that =l

hmm..he'll be okay Smile
think positive Smile

update us about his surgery Smile

Tiddly Winks wrote:
Thank you. Mama and I spoke on Thursday, and they are getting ready to go. I was glad that we got to talk, and hope that this afternoon I can call them. I'm glad that I'm not the only person with great in-laws though. I could write a book on all the weird looks I get when I refer to mine in such a way. Smile

lol I guess we're lucky.Like you said about your papa, my inlaws welcomed me with open arms into their family from the start and I feel as though they're like a second mom and dad to me. It's a shame some people don't have that because it's one of the nicest things to have. Smile

Awww sweetie, I pray that everything goes well. It is really wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your in-laws! I wish you the best with your trip, I will keep you in my thoughts hun!

I just got word that we cannot go to the North Sea for Christmas. Papa's cancer is bigger than they thought and now he's got to have another operation. This is devastating news and when I spoke with Mama this evening she sounded like she was on the verge of crying. We are now waiting for her to call back. So, it looks like my husband and I will be alone this Christmas. Sad I had been so excited about it, and now I just don't know how I feel.

Please continue praying for Papa's health, it is greatly appreciated.

My brother-in-law called tonight and wants us to drive to Berlin for Christmas. So, we will be going, and it's looking like it will be a huge family shindig.

He's not very optimistic about Papa's health, so please continue to pray for him as well as my mother-in-law. They both need strength to face the coming days / weeks.

This means I won't be around much between the 23rd and the 2nd of January.

Thank you.

I'm glad that you are going hun, I know how much this means to you...

I wish you and your family love and peace this Christmas, and really do hope your father-in-laws health improves xxxx

I do too. Last nught when we spoke to my brother in law, he said something about this being Papa's last Christmas. I will never believe that. My father in law lived through the war, lost both of his parents, and overcame insurmountable odds. I am keeping the faith that he will overcome this too.

I love him very much, he became the father I was denied when my own left during my youth. He even calls me his daughter and that just means the world to me.

Well, it's official, this Christmas is turning out to be anything but wonderful. First, we were supposed to go to the North Sea Coast, then Berlin, and now we're back to the North Sea. Thankfully the weather didn't play...because now my in laws want to go home on the 25th. This is just getting to be too complicating to be real. Every day we have a new plan, and every day, I am inching closer and closer to ripping my hair out and screaming like a lunatic. Sad This is not the holiday that I was excited about, it's turning into a comedy of errors.

Now, instead of being cozy on Christmas day, we are going to be on the bloody road driving 650 kilometers. I am starting to seriously resent the whole thing and wish that we could just stay home. I deal well with change, but this is beyond nuts.

Just going to head to bed hun, but I really wanted to reply to your post! So sorry you are going through all this stress sweet heart! You truly have a kind heart, and I know no matter what you have to go through you will have a wonderful Christmas! Just think when they see the two of you, and he calls you daughter, you will be happy you made the trip. I wish you a wonderful and safe journey to see your in laws. You will be in my thoughts, remember God doesn't give us anything we can't handle (even though its hard to feel that way!) Take care love and rest easy!

Thank you, Myladyyawo. It does seem crazy, and now I am making a grocery list, because for some odd reason, I think that my in-laws are rather short sighted about this. The stores here will be closed on Friday-Sunday, and there will be no way to buy food...so we're doing the movable feast and bringing the works. At least we won't be strapped for space.

I hope that things calm down soon enough for you.... its strange how things just seem to pile on at the same time... as if to see just how much we can take, and jsut when you think you're about to break you find that you can really handle more and you just keep going....
Good luck, i hope you find some moments of peace and joy in all the chaos and confusion this season... sometimes its all about appreciating those little moments Smile they are precious

foxydrama wrote:
I hope that things calm down soon enough for you.... its strange how things just seem to pile on at the same time... as if to see just how much we can take, and jsut when you think you're about to break you find that you can really handle more and you just keep going....
Good luck, i hope you find some moments of peace and joy in all the chaos and confusion this season... sometimes its all about appreciating those little moments Smile they are precious

hellos10.png

sausageroll - please could you add a valid FB link, you have been asked on a few occasions now, if you continue to post without a link it will lead to a ban from PSFC

also your last post is rude towards tiddy winks so i have removed it, we try to encourage a community atmosphere here

First Gaiamaiden, thank you for removing the message, it was good that I was gone and didn't see it. I appreciate you looking out for me in that regard.

To update everyone, Christmas was, although stressful, it was lovely. I know how Santa Claus must feel when we showed up laden down with gifts, food and teddy bears. My in-laws were overjoyed when we arrived, and it felt so good to have done something for them that would lighten Papa's mood and bring joy to him as well.

We returned home today, and while I am glad to be back home, I am grateful to know that it wasn't just about the holidays, but it was the fact that we did something that we can really feel good about. Maybe it will give Papa the strength he needs to overcome.

His next operation will be on the sixth. We are optimistic that he will come through with flying colors. But the continued prayerful support does help immensely.

Blessings to all for a happy and prosperous 2010. Smile

Welcome back sweetie Smile So nice to hear that your trip went wonderfully. Sorry about the stressful part though. Good to hear your papa is pulling through I wish the best for his surgery on the 6th! I'm sure it feels nice to be back home. Wishing you the best for 2010 as well!

The surgery should happen either yesterday or today, my guess is today. I haven't heard anything, but I appreciate the support that I've received here. I will let you know what happens when I hear something,

It could be as late as tomorrow when I hear something. I heard that he will probably be in the hospital for two weeks and then have to go through recovery.

Mama has her 70th birthday on February 18, so I will see both of them then,

Another update:

After the last couple of days and a bit of nailbiting, I have wonderful news to report.

The operation happened yesterday (Thursday) and it was a success. Papa is on the road to recovery. The whole family is overjoyed and on behalf of my family here, we want to thank everyone here for their positive thoughts, prayers and support. It means a lot to all of us.

Tonight, I am opening a bottle of champagne and my husband and I are toasting our Papa's recovery and affirming his clean bill of health.

Thank You God!!! Smile

That is fantastic news!! I am so pleased for you and all your family

I am late to read this thread, but glad to hear that the surgery has gone well and your Papa is recovering now. Prayers and hugs for you and the family.

Another update. I spoke with Mama yesterday and Papa is doing very well. He will be taken out of ICU today!!!!!!!!!!! Horray!

fantastic news hun...I am so please for you all xxx

Papa had a not so good day. Mama called and said that he is feeling weak and can't get around much. The doctors are watching to make sure that he will be okay. Please pray that he will be. I know that people have good and bad days, I just hope this isn't the start of many bad days.

I'll keep you posted on how he is doing once I hear something.

So sorry to hear this ...I sincerely hope this is just a blip and he will soon be on his feet again xxx

Papa got out of the hospital today, but he's very weak and has been sleeping all day since they got back to the apartment. I am a bit worried about him, and hoping that the rest he gets will help him recover.

I talked to him this afternoon and asked how he was doing he said (in a very weak and uncharacteristic voice) 'great'. I would appreciate continued prayer support.

Thank you for the update sweetie, I hope his sleep helps him recover faster! It is so difficult when a loved one is sick! My prayers continue to be with you and your family! *hug*

My husband is very worried about his dad. I hope that he feels better soon and can go home. Being sick is bad, but being sick away from home is not fun. I know, I got the flu while on holiday in october and as much as I loved spending time with Kokonee, I really wanted to go home.

Edit: Papa is back in the hospital and Mama just called. She's exhausted. I told her to get some rest and that it would do her no good to not sleep. This is not good news, but at least he will be taken better care of there than at home.

Okay, another update, Mama just called and Papa is recovering from blood poisoning. He is getting treated for it, and is doing much better.

Praise God! I am so relieved. Tonight I should sleep like a baby!

Thanks everyone for the prayers, the loving support and all the good wishes. This forum is really my Internet home. I love this place!!!

Bless your heart hun congratulations So happy to hear congratulations I had hoped this was the wonderful news you had posted about in your other thread!!

It was. Smile I am elated. He's my papa, he adopted me as his daughter when my husband and I got married. I simply adore my in-laws. They are the most awesome people...but then again, I would not expect less because their son is the greatest.

Papa is scheduled to get out of the hospital today. Horray!!! He and Mama will return home on Sunday. They've been away from home for nearly a month, so it's nice that they will get back this weekend.

I told my mother in law about it last night when she called. She didn't think it was crazy, she thought it was fantastic. I am so excited!!!!

Today Mama called and said that Papa walked from their home into town and back again. That's about a kilometer. I am so proud and it seems that he is slowly getting his strength back.

Yay Papa!!!!!!!!

That is amazing Yvette! So happy for your family and your Papa! So wonderful to hear such good news!