Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

I need help...

Okay you already knew that. Laughing

What I need help with is deciding what kind of laptop I should get. I will take anything under consideration except Hewlett Packard. I adamantly refuse to buy anything they put out...for pretty obvious reasons.

So, please tell me what kinds of laptops are good, and what kinds are not. I am hoping to have this before Christmas because I want to spend the holidays with my PSFC family and not have to go to an internet cafe to log into facebook (that has officially creeped me out). So, I am open to suggestions.

A real life friend suggested Toshiba, but said that I should avoid Acer because their newer stuff is not that great. This is a pity because my old one is Acer and I really like it.

Mine is a Compaq and it had been excellent, even with all the heavy programs I use, other good ones are Toshiba, Dell and Sony. I hope you get your laptop, good luck congratulations

Well... I also want a new laptop. My Uncle suggest me Compaq and my cousin suggest me Acer, she says Toshiba not very good

I can't help too much because I also confused and unsure

Mine is Acer too and I think it's fine.

But Toshiba is more tough, because my sister use it for about 3 years until now, never been damage or serviced, although my nephew (4 years old) often use it

I think you should consider it from the specification you need Smile

I want to use it to check email, web surf, play PS and write. Smile The only thing is, I am hooked on my writing program (word, which is really old) and would like it to be able to run it.

I have a toshiba lap top and I love it.

I've not had any problems with it, and I like the fact that it checks for updates for your hardware drivers for you to keep your pc running at its best.

If only for writing, I think it's better to use netbook (which is smaller and easier to bring). So you can write anywhere to find an idea Smile

I had a Toshiba which ended up being not so good. The hinges broke just from normal use. I now have a Dell, but I wouldn't recommend this particular model (Vostro) but the other Dells we have/had are good. Zorro can help you research it when you get down to a couple of choices.

Okay, I won't get a netbook, the screen is too small, and if I want to do net surfing and other stuff here, I feel like I'm squinting. That's why I don't have things like iPhone etc. I simply need something that I can see. The netbook also has a teeny tiny keyboard which makes writing harder.

It's like playing a piccalo instead of a flute. congratulations

Dell may be a good option too. I think Sven had a dell when he was working at HP, so maybe that's a good option too.

Toshiba (mine is 2 years and it's still ok Smile it's a bit more.. hot than it should but... i use tooooooo often )
Sony is really really good (avoid the vaio!!!!! the chocolate series are faaaaar better/faster/safer) but more expensive..
Acer and compaq are still on trial and why not HP??? they are not bad!

I've got an Acer Aspire laptop which I've had for about 3 years now and mine has been great - I'm currently looking for another laptop aswell actually but all the specification information confuses me, I don't know what's best but also good value for money sort of thing Laughing
Why does everything have to be so confusing? Laughing

Dell laptops are supposed to be quite good but are rather expensive in my opinion. Can I ask why you wouldn't buy a HP laptop?

Lucky Strike wrote:
Toshiba (mine is 2 years and it's still ok Smile it's a bit more.. hot than it should but... i use tooooooo often )
Sony is really really good (avoid the vaio!!!!! the chocolate series are faaaaar better/faster/safer) but more expensive..
Acer and compaq are still on trial and why not HP??? they are not bad!

My husband lost his job at HP, which is why I am boycotting any HP product.

Compaq are made by H-P....just thought you would like to know that

I know, I grew up in Houston where Compaq's headquarters were before they sold out to HP. Sad Sad that this history seems to repeat itself. I knew people there who lost their jobs too.

I found a machine that I think I may go with. One because I already have an Acer and I like the matte screen, but also because I'm an old dog, and we old dogs like things stable.

This computer has everything I really need, and it's cheaper than the Dell and the Toshiba.

I read more negative about the toshiba and the Dell is, sadly, too expensive.

So, I will probably get an Acer Extensa 5235

I've only purchased Dell.... Guess since i have had great experience with Dell, it is really hard for me to try other new types....
I've had nothing but good things to say about my Dell PC's. They may be a bit more expensive, but I feel the reliablity I have had w/ customer service as well as other needs through dell, have been pretty consistent.
Good Luck Tiddly...I am soooooooooo excited for the holidays...This will be sparkies first christmas here with you all....

Just ordered the Extensa from Amazon and the price is really good and it should be here tomorrow or Friday. I will then look into the stick through a provider here. Thanks for all your feedback and help. I am really excited.

You're very welcome congratulations
Hope your new laptop is doing well as what u want congratulations

From what I have read about it, it's perfect for our needs here. I am so looking forward to getting it. Yay!!!!!!!!!! I will let you know when I have it. And will also let you know when I am 'online' with it. Double Yay!!!!!!!

Xaxaxaxaxa!!! Do you use any programs?? Don't forget to make backups from your other pc to add them to your brand new laptop!!! And please post up a pic! I'm curious now as i have never heard of that name before Ashamed

Lucky Strike wrote:
I'm curious now as i have never heard of that name before Ashamed

Yvette put the full name of the laptop she's getting in a previous post, I looked on google at what it looks like

Hope you get your new laptop soon though Yvette and enjoy it! congratulations

I think I will. Now we're looking for the internet stick to go with it. One of my friends here is tossing out ideas. I think I will go with the daily rate, since I don't always go online.

That's probably your best option if you're not a big internet user as you'll be paying for something you're not getting your moneys worth sorta thing. Internet dongle things are great - they're not as fast as wireless internet in my opinion (but that's just my experience with our usb dongle thing - we have both wireless & a spare internet dongle stick thing) but they're still quite fast and are great for if you only want to use the internet for a small amount of time I'd guess using games like Pet Society would possibly use up the usage more than just normal web browsing though You might find the internet dongle/stick is perfect for you but you might also find you're spending a lot more money than expected on the internet so then you'd be better with the broadband/internet in your home, just trial and error I guess

It depends how much you actually use it hun and what you are using it for.
You might find you are restricted when playing games. Plus there is also the worry about the bill every month

I love my internet package...its fast, I dont have to worry about how much I'm using, and the bill is always the same everymonth so I dont need to worry about that

I know Gaia used to be on a dongle and had loads of problems with broadband usage...maybe ask her for her experience with it as a fellow gamer?

OMG Sad Never use a dongle Sad nothing but problems, my internet is always going off and sometimes its difficult to get any signal at all Sad
Ive just signed up with BT internet which i should have by next week
a dongle would probably be fine with someone who just checks emails and browses the net, but for doing games its terrible, my PS is so slow but when i go to my mums its super fast.

I'm confused about the whole 'dangle thing'. The reason I want to get one is because my in-laws don't have internet at all, so there is absolutely no access from their place. When we go there for Christmas, there is no way I can do this without having the stick. That's why I need to get a stick. Most of my game playing is done from here, but if it works a little over Christmas, where I can log in, then it would work fine.

In the UK we can get a 'pay as you go' donggle, so you only pay for it when you use it, there are no monthly charges...maybe that would be better just when you are at your in-laws??

i second lisa's post... and on top of that for your hpuse do take the "all you want to use" with the steady bill... safer/faster/careless

The laptop is here!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how fast the service was. I only ordered it yesterday, and then the UPS guy was here with it. Horray! Now the next thing to do is find a stick for it, and then I'll be able to come here with it. I can't believe how fast that was. Amazing. Smile

Oooh wow definitely quick!!! Hope you're enjoying your new laptop congratulations
I went to PC World, Currys, Comet & Tesco yesterday to look at new laptops but I still can't decide which I want - there's too much choice SadLaughing

I love the new laptop. It really is great. We are now trying to find a stick that will work for us when we leave home. I think in the next days we'll find one and then we'll be ready to roll.

Our stick has been ordered, and today we got a new carrying bag for it. So, I'll soon be good to go. I will test it out when we leave town for a couple of days on the 14th.

I love the new machine, it looks great.

yayyyy!!! I'm glad you like it!!! that means that no money where wasted!!! hopefully when you're back from the 14th's trip you'll have good news!