Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinclair

Plastic zip bags for your loose cars

I've been hunting around for some zip bags for my loose cars, and thanks to info from HWCM members, I went to a shop in SS14, Subang Jaya to get these bags.

There are many sizes, but only 2 sizes that I bought.

1. Size : 3" x 4"

This was the recommended size by friends. Price is RM3.00 for 100pcs.

Can easily fit 99% of all cars, but a bit too big for normal size cars. Can almost put in 2 cars into 1 bag.

But it is a tight squeeze for a drag bus, lol. But still can fit in and the zip can close fully. DD also can fit in easily.

This size will be ideal for over-sized cars like Drag Bus, Drag Truck, DD, Semi Fast, Cabin' Fever and Ice-Cream truck. Unfortunately, due to it's rectangle design, I can't zip the bag for the Highway Hauler! Ah well, at least it can fit in. I'm not going to buy another size just for 1 car.

2. Size : 2.5" x 3.5"

After seeing that the above size was too big for normal sized cars, I bought this size. This is a much better fit and makes for easier storing. I would roughly say 90% of cars can fit into this.

I've already finished using 100pcs and probably need another 200pcs to complete all loose cars. Price is RM2.70 per 100pcs.

Conclusion : A very cheap storing alternative for loose cars and a effective way to prevent dirt and dust from accumulating on your cars. Quality wise also good, all zips work nicely and the plastic is not too thin nor thick.

The name of the shop is Simwa Plastic.

Address : No. 64, Jalan SS14/2A, 47500 Subang Jaya.
Telephone : 03-5633 6539, 012-226 3677

Picture of the shop (with owner's permission, of course) :

yup that's how i keep ny loose cars but not zipped plastic bags

Hi SInclair,

Is the roll near the Caltex or round about? Facing main road or housing?

Sinclair, thanks for the sharing, but i keep my loose one with Bubble paper.

This is my sketch of the location. Hope it is understandable.

Just
ask the lady boss that you are looking for the plastic zip bag for
model cars. I informed her that others may come to buy the plastic too.

Please note I got no share in this business, just providing members with info.

cooolman wrote:
Sinclair, thanks for the sharing, but i keep my loose one with Bubble paper.

Yep, bubble paper is another alternative. But I got limited space, so I prefer this 'thinner' option, can keep more cars in the box.

thanks sinclair for the info,maybe buy tomorrow or saturday

nak minta kirim sesiapa yang pergi ke sana.. help me?

Good protective storage idea for loosed cars. Good detailed map too! Thanks for sharing Smile

Btw, bagged cars look like those bagged evidence from CSIs, minus the blood, hahaha. lol! run for cover~

hey this one the same like mine...
hehe nice to keep loose from dust~
Wink

Try out "The Store" or your nearby kedai runcit, some they do keep stocks of different sizes. If they don't have the size you are looking for, try can asking them to order some. Remember to punch a hole or two for ventilation.

Hi redkop bro,

Could you elaborate on the need to punch a hole or two for ventilation? Will keeping the car in the airtight plastic damage it?

maybe the humidity trap will cause something to the car...
correct me if im wrong guys~
Embarassed

Cool news Sinclair,

I don't have much collection. So, I either display them or keep them in the original box.

redkop wrote:
Try out "The Store" or your nearby kedai runcit, some they do keep stocks of different sizes. If they don't have the size you are looking for, try can asking them to order some. Remember to punch a hole or two for ventilation.

hey bro.. please elaborate in the punch hole thing for ventilation.. if you keep carded cards the cars have no ventilation as well.. so i don't see the difference..

sinclair wrote:
Hi redkop bro,

Could you elaborate on the need to punch a hole or two for ventilation? Will keeping the car in the airtight plastic damage it?

Hi bro, sorry has been away for a while. Yup, with a hole or two will allow circulation of air inside the plastic bag, so call allowing the car to breath and not allowing the trap air to react with the paintwork. Imagine the same air trapped inside the plastic bag for a long time will find nothing better to do but to react with paintwork or in other terms oxidation of the body paintwork and small bubbles will form on the paintwork and that being the early signs of paint deterioration or paint fatigue.

Of course some gurus whom have been collecting for years will also tell us to do the simple exercise of opening the boxes once a while to allow the supply of fresh air. Storing the loose cars at places of high humidity and hot places like the attic, near the window etc is also a no no. The heat will get onto the paintwork and causes early deterioration and more importantly hasten the metal (Zamac) fatigue. One may ask, how about those cars inside the blister pack? Well, if we have the chance to lay our hands on a 30 year old or more car in an unopened blister, one can find that the paintwork is dull and on some cars you find small bubbles marks on the paintwork, I believe the oxidation of paint does takes place.

Ideally, we would like these toy cars paintwork to last forever, but it's simply a wishful thinking and the paintwork will somehow comes off at some point of time. As some collectors will tell us, once Zamac decay is detected, that's the end of it, the decay has gotten to the body of the car and it's cancerous that will require a major surgical recovery job. All hope is not lost, it has been mentioned many times before, polishing and waxing the cars will prolong the lifespan of the cars and it definitely helps in this case as I believe it provides a protective film of micro mm on the car paint and zamac against direct contact with the air.

Perhaps, we should not get too worry, the paintwork won't comes off overnight but over a long period of time and frankly, I fully expect nearly all of my collection to outlast me. Zamac also last for years and has been around for over 70 years. I'd believe the biggest area we have to worry about is the rubber used for tires and other items as rubber does decay! I'd rather not get too worried but enjoy our collections, life's too short to worry about every thing! But, what we are doing now is to preserve the body paint and the car metal body as long as possible.

Zooooooooooooom ................ i'm off to get some fresh air for my loose cars.

Sorry for the long read.

Cheers. Wink

really like ur nice long meaningful info redkop...
now im puching a hole or two of some of my loose in plastic bag...
hope they outlast me tho hehe
Wink

thx redkop for the elaborate explanation! =] thx sinclair for helping me buy the bags.. =D

SanLino wrote:
thx redkop for the elaborate explanation! =] thx sinclair for helping me buy the bags.. =D

My pleasure buddy. It's all about caring and sharing together as collectors.

Cheers.

Anybody else wants the bags? I already got both sizes for danielh.

Let me know before Friday, thanks.

sinclair wrote:
Anybody else wants the bags? I already got both sizes for danielh.

Let me know before Friday, thanks.

thanks sinclair!!!!!!! Very Happy

Oh, I want to share, I once saw a vintage hot Wheels in a display case at a Hobby shop before (back in the old days when I was a kid), the card was orange with old graphics and it's wider than usual, the blister contains a car and a button badge. The car's paint however was peeling inside the blister, quite bizarre for me at that time coz I thought that wasn't suppose to happen on a mint card.....

Is it near the Bak Kut Teh shop??

Fadli85 wrote:
Oh, I want to share, I once saw a vintage hot Wheels in a display case at a Hobby shop before (back in the old days when I was a kid), the card was orange with old graphics and it's wider than usual, the blister contains a car and a button badge. The car's paint however was peeling inside the blister, quite bizarre for me at that time coz I thought that wasn't suppose to happen on a mint card.....

I have seen a few cards like this. Very heart-sick when it is a $uper but somehow spectraflame seems to be susceptible.

Read redkop's post on page 1 for some explanation. rolleyes

Hi, just found 3X4 Size at Jasema Enterprise in TTDI, priced more than SS14 shop, RM4.50 for 100pcs.

The 3X4 fit for me but like Sinclair said, 2.5X3.5 will fit basic cars better, the size was not available here though, I went TTDI today accompanying my father, and decided to drop by this store.

Perhaps we buy in bulk to achieve economy of scale???

thanks bro sinclair for getting me some last week.. love it.. and also thanks for the trade.. SmileSmile

i had purchased the 3x4 plastic bag many moons ago...
but now i forget where i put...
aisehhh....
does any size fits carded ones guys?
Embarassed

You want a plastic to cover the cards?? You will have a tough time arranging them.

IMO, for cards, better to keep them in a closed box.

ic ic~
thanks for the opinion bro...
trying to find some plastic box for the carded
Wink