Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorrr

[TIP] Making Mainline wheels more interesting

Unfortunately some of us don't live in the USA where it seems that every shop has prenium HW's with Real Riders for a couple of dollars, the cheapest I have seen a Real Rider tired car is $9, and that's just too much for a set of wheels.
Today I was playing around to see what I could do to make the Mainline wheels more interesting, and come up with 2 things....

1. SAND THE GLOSS OFF... I like this so much that I am going to do this to every set of Mainline wheels I use, basically, just use sandpaper to sand the gloss finish off the tread part of the wheel, leaving the sidewall gloss, makes it look like a real slick tire.

2. RUN THEM OVER A HOT FILE. heat up a file with a crosshatch pattern, I used a heatgun and it got the file hot enough to just soften the tire without totally melting it, so it left the file pattern marks on the tire. Take care to not overheat the file.

Thorrr

wow... very interesting... great idea... thanks for sharing... Smile

I don't want to highjack the thread, but here's another one. I fill the inside of the spokes with silver paint and get a different look to the wheel.

Before

After

Other examples of this

thanks for the tips,Gerry. It's makes a the wheels looks much better.Razz

Great tip. I was thinking about that too.

Just a bit of paint can make a lot of difference in the look.