Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorrr

Tutorial - True Fire

Firstly I just want to say that I am new to this hobby and in no way an expert at this, what I am posting are some progress photos of my paint experiments, but there may be much better ways of doing this.

The car used for this How-To is the Twin Mill III.

The "secret" of true Fire is that the fire is painted in white and covered with transparent/candy paints (and since these virtually disappear when sprayed over black, that is why almost every TrueFire paint job is over a black base).

Here is my black base

First layer of fire is done with a handheld mask, this will be the darkest colour and cover the largest area of all the fire layers

Since I am doing a "normal" coloured fire, this will be coverd in a red transparent paint. Use whatever paints you like.... it doesn't have to be top stuff like HOK, use Tamiya clear red and yellow if that's what you are comfortable with..... now, you may laugh, but I am using "Glass Stain" ...why?because I'm cheap and can get it for $2 per spray can because the hardware store are discontinuing the line, and I think my fire is turning out ok.
Anyways, red goes on

Another layer of white flames

Forgot to take the photo of the orange going over the white so here is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head instead.

Another layer of white flames, now over the orange.
Each layer of white flames should have less flames than the previous.

Clear yellow over the white flames

Last white flame layer should just pick up a couple of highlights

and then it's time to clearcoat.

Thanks for looking.

Thorrr

I like the pancake bunny! tongue

Thanks for the lessons, bro.

nice bunny with pancake, LoL..
btw really great tips u got there..
i wish i can try it..

crazy flames man! now those are really HOT Wheels! haha Twisted Evil

awesome... mr bunny can share the pancake?

Bro Thorrr, do you try those normal Paint can(which can get from Hardware shop) before? Or can we buy those transparent/candy paints from Hardware shop? thanks Very Happy

undercoverbrother wrote:
Wow, awesome! now this is real 'spectraflame'!

Not specktra-flame la!! Razz

whoa...thanks for sharing ur tips bro thorr...
truly a nice paintjob with a nice flame
that pancake looks yummy..
hehe
Wink

^yupp..great tutorial...am thinking to apply it later...

cooolman wrote:
Bro Thorrr, do you try those normal Paint can(which can get from Hardware shop) before? Or can we buy those transparent/candy paints from Hardware shop? thanks Very Happy

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier...

Paints.... truefire can be painted with either clear candy colours over white, or solid colours, but the candy paint gives a "deeper" fire effect, so instead of spraying white and then red candy over, you would just spray red, same for orange and yellow

But... at 1:64 hotwheels size, you have to use an airbrush, it is just too small for a spray can, but you could do it on your 1:1 car with spray cans no problem.... post pictures if you do Very Happy

I buy the transparent glass stain paint from my hardware store, but they are not going to get any more, so they are selling it cheap now as "discontinued stock" this is what I buy glass stain

i have a question Mr. Thorr! What does the handheld mask for the flames look like?

Thanks for sharing this great tutorial, its an awesome method! cheers