Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rikmun

For Those who have experience in using paint remover...

Use what type of glove to covers our hand?i scare the rubber will melt or something else happens.....any ideas?

rikmun wrote:
Use what type of glove to covers our hand?i scare the rubber will melt or something else happens.....any ideas?

ask for industrial rubber gloves when you bought the paint stripper together from your local hardware shop.They will know you're using this type of rubber gloves when applying the paint stripping.

but the problem is i takes this paint stripper from ray lim

or u could use a penyepit. can get from harware for household items. will try post pics of mine asap.

Honestly...even your skin don't kena the cair from the paint remover, eventually after long time expose to the fume also will kena rikmun....best go with danielh advise. Last time I bought my rubber glove think about rm3 only from those 'RM5 shops'....it's long till just below the elbows.

Or like hassan prefer the 'penyepit'....well you can make it longer, so your hands won't have to be right above the open can of paint remover Smile

biasanya, i dont use glove ,i use a very long brush, some time i kena the paint remover i faster go to wash my hand.

Rayz-HWC wrote:
Honestly...even your skin don't kena the cair from the paint remover, eventually after long time expose to the fume also will kena rikmun....best go with danielh advise. Last time I bought my rubber glove think about rm3 only from those 'RM5 shops'....it's long till just below the elbows.

Or like hassan prefer the 'penyepit'....well you can make it longer, so your hands won't have to be right above the open can of paint remover Smile

agree with rayz.
those instruction above are in general only but i feel that i need to let you know further about using paint remover and precautions.

1) applying paint remover.
wear a pair of recommended rubber gloves, one hand to hold the casting and the other holding the brush which you'll be dipping into the paint remover and brush all over the casting.

precaution:
2) when you open the can of paint remover, try not to smell or facing the opening as the air released from the can are really stinging your eyes (itchy and watery) and it will makes you can't breath. If possible, use facial mask covering your mouth and nose. Even your skin will feel burning and itchy it the fowl air released contacts your skin indirectly.

3) after applying, you will noticed the original paint will automatically popped out and peel off from the main casting but you need brush or metal brush to swiped away the paint. When you swiped, make sure you swipe it in one direction way. Try to swipe it out from your side because if the slice of the paint falls on your bare skin, you will feel burning and itchy.

4) if possible, wear industrial plastic goggles to protect your eyes unless your'e wearing spectacles because you might not expect small and tiny paint slices accidently shot into your eyes during brushing.

5) after that, leaves the casting completes dry. Then let the water tap runs thouroughly to wash away the paint remover liquid.

as you and ray lim might not have the experience using paint remover, please adhere to safety and precaution.
happy customizing!

Show you some pictures on how this collector did it

PICTURES BY COMBATSER

I'm just wondering, will toothbrush create "scratches" especially to chrome body?

Wah affraid ....saw that dy Wink...but bad example Atom...also you'll create a sudden influx of collectors haggling 'kedai logams' for Aircraft stripper Laughing ...assume some will PM you where to get 'Aircraft' punya stripper hahahaha (i'm imagining now as I type LOL)...YES I understand your point on posting this Razz

I believe couple members here posted before dy how they did it on their own respective custom threads Smile

Quote :
I'm just wondering, will toothbrush create "scratches" especially to chrome body?

...a toothbrush will not scratch the unpainted casting Smile

** suggest to use fine sand paper to polish up the rough areas, smoothen out the casting

** the chrome VW Bus in pic remains after stripping off the paint - reason being (just like the Classics series) the casting used a method to chromalize it before paint goes over - so it looks specktraflame Smile...don't believe go strip a Classic series car hehehe Wink...

wow, thats looks very nice.. thx Atom!!

Rayz-HWC wrote:
** the chrome VW Bus in pic remains after stripping off the paint - reason being (just like the Classics series) the casting used a method to chromalize it before paint goes over - so it looks specktraflame Smile...don't believe go strip a Classic series car hehehe Wink...

had to try it later.. Very Happy

Rayz-HWC wrote:
** the chrome VW Bus in pic remains after stripping off the paint - reason being (just like the Classics series) the casting used a method to chromalize it before paint goes over - so it looks specktraflame ...don't believe go strip a Classic series car hehehe ...

good infos there Rayz..thanks for sharing...now , i want more infos bout this all stuff..carry on guys...really interesting..its time to study again..

Well, what I do is that :-
1 - get an old maggi container(maggi in the mug type)
2 - put the casting in the container
3 - pour the paint stripper into the container.. Pour till it covers the whole casting..
4 - Leave it for 4-5 minutes.
5 - Pick the casting using either a hard hook cable/penyepit or which ever you think is appropriate
6 - Wash it thru a runnig tap water, till you see no more sludges..
7 - Use a beat up toothbrush to brush the surface especially small corners or depths.
8 - wipe it clean with a tissue and leave it to dry under hot sun for 20 minutes.
9 - pour back the used paint stripper back in the can or get a different can and sealed it properly. This way you can re-used it a couple of times.. I have mine re-used for almost 15 - 20 different castings before the acidic goes off..
Sometimes you need to top-up the used stripper with a new stripper..

If hard to find aircraft paint remover than ship paint remover will do.

Someone should do a decent video and load up at ytube.
Pls do not use phone camera.