Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fadli85

So how do you say "flour"?

Last year, my lecturer pointed out to me and the rest of the class, the way to say flour is the same as flower, and I've been holding to that ever since. He said even English teacher over here say "flar". Whenever I heard somebody said "Flar" I get irked and irritated somehow. Are we saying it wrong all this time?

Yes I myself will go with 'flour'....most elderly M'sians will go with British, while younger generations go Americano...but back to the roots - British the way to go Smile

I'm gonna ask my chef cousin and see how he pronounce flour, hehehe.....my aunt says flar and she's almost 50, she speaks English fluently and yet she still says flar.
Rolling Eyes

I think that's due to their sound, they still say "flower" just the -wer is not emphasized, so maybe people pick up the sound and interpret it as flar.

aku cakap tepung jer senang.... mamak kedai mana tau flar ke flauwer... whistling

Rayz-HWC wrote:
Yes I myself will go with 'flour'....most elderly M'sians will go with British, while younger generations go Americano...but back to the roots - British the way to go Smile

i prefer mexicano... yo hombre.. 1 kilo of white coke plez... muchos gracias... cool

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2006/12/27/lifefocus/16273124&sec=lifefocus

Quote :
1) Opinion seems to be divided on the pronunciation of “flour” in the British dictionaries I consulted. The Oxford Concise Dictionary (1995) and the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (2005) indicate that “flour” has the same pronunciation as “flower”, i.e.:

/’flau-e(r)/ – a two-syllabled word with the stress on the first syllable – the “e” is a schwa, like the ‘e’ sound in “moment”).

However, the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary (1989) and the online Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary show “flour” being pronounced as:

/flaue(r)/ – a one-syllabled word with three vowels together (a triphthong), the ‘e’ in it being also a schwa. Because of the combination of the three vowels in a syllable, we tend to glide over them, resulting in a sound resembling /fla(r)/.

I consider both pronunciations to be correct alternative pronunciations. In fact, there is also an alternative pronunciation of “flower”, indicated by the 20-volume OED, which is exactly like the second pronunciation of “flour”!

Haha yeah,

well I've been roaming the net for answers and it turned out the word "Flar" is only used in Singapore and Malaysia so it's safe to say that it is part of the living language in this region, like another variety of English to this specific region...

And get a load of this guy...!
http://thestar.com.my/english/story.asp?file=/2007/1/18/lifefocus/16559009&sec=lifefocus
He bashed Fadzilah Amin explanation, sounded very cocky also...

For native English speaker, the pronunciation is the same because the origin of the word flour is in fact flower..! The spelling changed only in mid 19th century, heh go figure...Oh and if we were to go into detail English is more phonetics so some word is silent but that's another story.

In the end, Proud to be Malaysian. Very Happy