Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zedd_68

Counterfeits and Collectables

"anything that can be counterfeited, will be counterfeited".

The above is truer with items that are of high value (monetary or ancillary) and high movement volume.

Hot Wheels (and other recognized brands) are therefore susceptible to these attacks.

Are there 'counterfeit Hot Wheels' or matchboxes or maistos?? I can't say that I have come across them, probably because the activities of the last 15 years DO NOT involves anti-counterfeiting or brand protection discussion with brand owners such as Hasbro or Mattel (my ex-colleagues may have).

I do know of REPLICAS (aka inspired-by) that is rampant in the area of Barbie dolls and Transformers figurines (both from different manufacturers).

However, one aspect that counterfeits will look for is "ease of entry and cheaper cost" to introduce such counterfeits.

In the area of collectibles, LOOSE items are the "ease-of-entry" and "cheaper-cost" route that is considered 'Heaven-sent', in any segment of counterfeit industry (yes, it IS an industry, and sometimes surpasses that of the legitimate brand owners).

Why loose is considered heaven-sent?
1) There is no need to duplicate expensive packaging (and sometime brand owners deploy 'anti-counterfeit' or brand-protection marking on their packaging), so cost to market is cheaper.
2) Without packaging, certain track-and-trace can be bypassed, which is what ANY counterfeiter worth his salt would want.
3) product scrutiny will be "of less importance" due to the claims of 'slight damage during transport' or manufacturing variance etc.

4) and probably one that may be used quite frequently in small collectable markets; production overruns and/or reject with slight variation/damage.

One of the deplorable activities that is happening on a DAILY BASIS in Malaysia (and some hot spots in the region) is this manipulation of production runs and QC processes, to benefit certain group or sub-groups, both inside the manufacturing and the 'dealer/channels' that exist outside of the plant.

Production overruns oftimes happen to allow additional goods to be produced, without declaring excise tax on them, and therefore provide additional projected revenue on that particular run.

Manipulation of QC is relatively easier for small collectibles such as hot wheels; and the aim IS TO have items 'rejected' without going through a packaging process...thus being able to gather a quantity of such 'rejects' that may potentially be made available via the channel/go-between....onto the hungry and anticipating hands of collectors who would probably want the chance to declare 'i got this first before anyone else'

Whether such collectables are already attacked by 1:1 counterfeit (i.e. complete with colourful packaging), I wont want to venture; however, why would a counterfeiter or go-between wants the hassle and higher-cost of such counterfeit, when 'rejects' and loose counterfeits can easily be transported, distributed, and without knowing, collectors being duped to become the means of transport to other collectors elsewhere in the region/world.

Clothing, Cigarettes, medicine, spare parts, electronics, booze, etc etc. they have all suffered from 'overruns' and counterfeits'; who's to say that collectable segment are immune to it?

Willing victims, 'understood' if one were to buy dvd at the pasar malam? but buying a collectable, loose, and wanting to feel proud about it? I don't think you want to be a willing victim on this one.

Mattel S.E.A. (South East Asia) may have known this becoming an issue, but what actions they are taking or will take, I guess they will look for it from the perspective of implication to their bottom-line.

But if they were looking at this from a regional perspective, and the potential damage that can hit El Segundo if it's left unchecked...maybe they will be quicker in reactin' and actin'

NO Sir, and neither the above represents any views either on their behalf, or against them.
I put into words experiences and observations of over a decade looking into, monitoring, and assisting brand owners tackling counterfeits, brand and revenue protection, and illegal grey imports (aka smuggling).

I personally did not have the opportunity to work with 'toy makers' on these subject-matters..the trend, method, modus operandi are similar, and sources are also similar.

...err...but i a 'am' a 'mattel man' when it comes to collectables... Smile

Interesting topic...
here is photos of some counterfeits / bootleg / "inspired by" that i have came across during hunting time...
more like they like to copy the packaging more then the cars...

See the logo on the card carefully... maybe some kids might mistakenly will grab this awesome High Games car thinking its Hot Wheels... balik rumah tengok..."Alamak..."

image of the cars on the card similar to matchbox card...

p.s: had this photos taken very long ago... and didnt know where to post them...finally got a place to post it... hehehehhe

Good one officer, you nabbed two! Smile

These are examples of replicas or inspired-by...memang openly done and with little fear of repercussions...partly due to the weakness of our IP laws...but it is improving Smile

Masalah paling ditakuti is wholesale counterfeit..not hiding behind fancy similar sounding names/brands or logos. These are 1:1 counterfeit. You think i am just mouthing off? Google an archive of the Times article...oh about 5-6 years back on counterfeits. They even make a 1:1 counterfeits of a hot selling yamaha road bike...

...that was 5 - 6 years ago on a much larger scale stuff. Not a challenge for them to create a very 'authentic-looking' fakes of a 1:64 stuff...especially without having to bother with packaging, blister, etc. and they got the market for it...the 'who-got-it-first' segment of collectables, which is growing and growing and growing...

"Apa-apa yang boleh dilancungkan, akan dilancungkan".

Di atas adalah lebih benar dengan barangan yang bernilai tinggi (kewangan atau sampingan) dan jumlah pergerakan tinggi.

Hot Wheels (dan jenama lain yang diiktiraf) Oleh itu, mudah terdedah kepada serangan ini.

'Wheels palsu Panas' ada atau kotak mancis atau maistos? Saya tidak boleh mengatakan bahawa saya telah mencari mereka, mungkin kerana aktiviti 15 tahun yang lepas JANGAN melibatkan anti-pemalsuan atau perlindungan jenama perbincangan dengan pemilik jenama seperti Hasbro atau Mattel (rakan-rakan ex-saya mungkin mempunyai).

Saya tahu replika (alias diilhamkan oleh-oleh) yang berleluasa di kawasan anak patung Barbie dan Transformers patung (kedua-duanya dari pengeluar yang berbeza).

Walau bagaimanapun, satu aspek yang melancung akan mencari "kos mudah masuk dan murah" untuk memperkenalkan melancung itu.

Dalam kawasan koleksi, barang-barang yang longgar adalah "mudah-entry" dan "lebih murah kos" laluan yang dianggap 'Syurga dihantar', dalam mana-mana segmen industri palsu (ya, ia ADALAH industri, dan kadang-kadang melebihi bahawa pemilik jenama yang sah).

Mengapa longgar dianggap syurga dihantar?
1) Tidak ada keperluan untuk salinan pembungkusan mahal (dan kadang-kadang pemilik jenama 'anti-palsu' menghantar atau jenama perlindungan penandaan pada bungkusan mereka), jadi kos untuk pasaran adalah lebih murah.
2) Tanpa pembungkusan, tertentu trek-dan-surih boleh dipintas, yang adalah apa APA-APA peniru bernilai garam beliau mahu.
3) penelitian produk akan menjadi "kurang penting" kerana tuntutan 'kerosakan sedikit semasa pengangkutan atau perbezaan pembuatan dan sebagainya.

4) dan mungkin yang boleh digunakan secara agak kerap di pasaran kecil dipungut; lebihan pengeluaran dan / atau menolak dengan sedikit perubahan / kerosakan.

Salah satu aktiviti yang dikesalkan yang berlaku pada ASAS HARIAN di Malaysia (dan beberapa kawasan panas di rantau ini) adalah manipulasi ini berjalan pengeluaran dan proses QC, untuk memberi manfaat kepada kumpulan tertentu atau sub-kumpulan, kedua-dua di dalam pembuatan dan peniaga ' / saluran 'yang wujud di luar loji.

Lebihan pengeluaran oftimes berlaku kepada membenarkan barang-barang tambahan untuk dikemukakan, tanpa mengisytiharkan cukai eksais ke atas mereka, dan oleh itu memberikan pendapatan tambahan yang diunjurkan pada jangka masa yang tertentu.

Manipulasi QC relatif lebih mudah untuk koleksi kecil seperti roda panas; dan tujuan ADALAH UNTUK item 'ditolak' tanpa melalui proses pembungkusan ... dengan itu dapat mengumpul kuantiti 'itu menolak' yang berpotensi boleh dibuat didapati melalui saluran / go-between....onto tangan lapar dan menjangkakan pengumpul yang mungkin mahu peluang untuk mengisytiharkan 'aku mendapati program ini terlebih dahulu sebelum orang lain'

Sama ada collectables itu telah diserang oleh 01:01 palsu (iaitu lengkap dengan bungkusan berwarna-warni), saya wont mahu usaha, namun, mengapa peniru atau pergi-antara mahu kerumitan dan tinggi kos palsu itu, apabila 'menolak' dan melancung longgar dengan mudah boleh diangkut, diedarkan, dan tanpa mengetahui, pemungut ditipu untuk menjadi cara-cara pengangkutan kepada pengumpul lain di tempat lain di rantau ini / dunia.

Pakaian, Rokok, perubatan, alat ganti, elektronik, minuman keras, dll dll mereka semua telah mengalami 'lebihan' dan melancung 'dan orang-orang yang mengatakan bahawa segmen dipungut imun kepadanya?

Mangsa sanggup, 'faham' jika seseorang itu untuk membeli dvd di malam pasar? tetapi membeli yang dipungut, longgar, dan ingin merasa bangga mengenainya? Saya tidak fikir anda mahu menjadi mangsa sanggup pada satu ini.

Mattel S.E.A. (Asia Tenggara) mungkin telah dikenali ini menjadi satu isu, tetapi apakah tindakan mereka mengambil atau akan mengambil, saya rasa mereka akan melihat dari perspektif implikasi kepada keuntungan mereka.

Tetapi jika mereka melihat ini dari perspektif serantau, dan kerosakan yang berpotensi yang boleh melanda El Segundo jika ia tidak dikawal ... mungkin mereka akan menjadi lebih pantas ke dalam reactin 'dan aktin

maaf, aku x paham esey panjang2 mat saleh ni... aku cuba dapatkan pertolongan google.. so ni jawapan dia.. tp aku still x paham

Hahahaha... Naik pening aku jackdy...hahahaha.. Google translate...robot pun boleh tangkap majal...hahahaha...sakit perut bro... Very Happy

Ringkasan:
Diecast ciplak? Memang ada. Hot wheels ke matchbox etc? Tak lah dia panggil nama tu...tapi barang one-to-one ciplak. Tampo tukar, so nak kena saman, payah sebab Akta Hakcipta agak lemah sikit dinegara kita dan rantau ni.

Apasal market loose jadi target? Senang dan murah...tak perlu nak buat cardboard dia blister dia etc etc. market pulak hangat...harga 'murah' berbanding carded...wave blum kuar, kita dahd dapat. Pendek kata, situasi yng cukup memberangsangkan pencilok pencilok masukkan dan/atau campur campurkan brng ori dengan ciplak..

-------------------
part yang overrun tu jackdy?

Ok, ringkasan keatas ringkasan Wink

Pengeluaran 'terlebih'....perkara biasa dalam hal hal manufacturing. Satu sebab...lari cukai eksais daa... Satu lagi sebab? Boleh offer barang terlebih buat tu dengan harga diskon (sebab takde cukai daa..)

QC reject buat-buat? Hmmm... Cari makan daa Wink yang ini perlu: dalam orang, tengah orang, market yang hangat Smile sama gak mcm ciplak tu...loose senang move Smile

Ok Bro? Ada sikit paham? TQ sudi gak ko baca Very Happy

fuhh, banyak topic tu, da macam parlimen da, hurai barai sume, ni kalau debat ni kena 3 hari bru akta lulus

eight wrote:

I have found similar to this one in Kota Bharu when going for hunting..It fools me though..

Great info..eye-opening..especially on the QC part..I could never imagine about that..the "rejected" item is kept in their pocket?

...Sebagai contoh...

Brand is AOLI... siap ada rack dia sendiri Smile

What does this remind you of (a similar product from a certain famous global brand?? Smile ) Ni yang dinamakan "inspired by"... nak saman? don't think the big T-T will want to bother...

Zedd_68 wrote:
...Sebagai contoh...

What does this remind you of (a similar product from a certain famous global brand?? Smile ) Ni yang dinamakan "inspired by"... nak saman? don't think the big T-T will want to bother...

tomica... awesome... way cheaper then the ori....

Hey Officer,

Awesome...for the price yes Smile for youngsters an excellent way to introduce to collecting..
...shame the more famous brand can't do it at this price point...

...the curse of being famous la Wink

Anyhow, point being, take perlu copy 100%..sikit tukar, habis dah yng ditiru...

(I still saw that highgames HW lookalike you posted above, on pegs...sheesh!)

Like this punya quality, harga pun lebih murah dari hw. Boleh beli aje Very Happy

Zedd_68 wrote:
...Sebagai contoh...

Too expensive for the brand. Sometimes at Giant see a lot of similar items selling for 8 bucks. Some with even lousier quality selling for RM 5. Unless that car is nice and worthy, then not going to see if its inspired by or not. The only fake items people would buy for their kids are those bigger electronic toys. Like singing and dancing Lightning Mcqeen or even the renamed Barbie doll with "baju kurung & tudung".

1 more photo i found in my photo collection...
1 of my fav casting from MBX Desert Thunder got cloned...

Wow! Real clone! Sigh...

Got a pic of a 4pack sky busters lookalike..will load it later.

Netmatrix,

It is not the issue of $..it is a matter of intelectual property..and penetration into the collectors market. I fear that with any other items, we may soon be faced with a 100% clone, but having no clue whether it is the genuine item or not.

Took this sometime back before Hari Raya.

we DONT even get a chance to have a Matchbox Skybusters 4-PACK (I think it is USA only)...and here we have someone filling in that niche Very HappyVery Happy

Just wanna share what I've found piratpirat Don't know if other forumer had seen this before..

img-2018.jpg

Car sticker that you can put on your real ride. Now everyone can have their own custom ride

redsk wrote:
Just wanna share what I've found piratpirat Don't know if other forumer had seen this before..

img-2018.jpg

Car sticker that you can put on your real ride. Now everyone can have their own custom ride

I saw this stickers before at the same DIY store. I think they should be bigger so can put on car. But this one u can put on bikes and everyday stuff like pencil box, fridge and stuff.

The best ever hw counterfeit i ever saw was during 7e huntin' days.. at 7e itself, you know those 2 ringgit Tora and Ding Dang kind of toys you never know what's inside until you unbox it, this one features exact hotwheels logo and cars pics (i forgot which casting) on the box cover..

undercoverbrother wrote:
The best ever hw counterfeit i ever saw was during 7e huntin' days.. at 7e itself, you know those 2 ringgit Tora and Ding Dang kind of toys you never know what's inside until you unbox it, this one features exact hotwheels logo and cars pics (i forgot which casting) on the box cover..

undercoverbrother strikes back! Very Happy

Cheers and happy hunting,

undercoverbrother wrote:

I stop buying those for like more than 20 years already. I know the brand still everywhere at mamak newstands and certain convenience stores. I only remember the ads are still voiced by Mat Sentul. hahaha.