Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hackstetter

Hackstetter All Wheel Drive One liter prototype bike

I haven't logged in since Feb 3rd, been busy in the garage putting my prototype together after 5 yrs of designing parts and testing she performs beyond what I imagined a 2x2 would do. Thought you guys and gals would like to see a picture......Ride safe~ Robert Hackstetter

tht looks awesome im very interested in a how tht system works

Thanks To Dave Hutch for putting this forum together and the invite! Also I thoroughly enjoy each members posts. I'm sure this bike is not everyone's cup of tea. But hey deep down inside I'm a minimalist and it even goes against my grain, I like the "Naked" bikes but admittedly I'm also obsessed with progressive technology. I know a few 2x2's came and went but I wanted to shake the motorcycle world with a NEW SUPERBIKE and make what one tech editor said was the Audi Quattro of motorcycles

Hi Can you tell us any spec or would you have to kill us Very Happy The front wheel drive must be hydrolic powerd via a pump?drive from where?Most interesting
Did you build the frame,

@XS1100 wrote:
Hi Can you tell us any spec or would you have to kill us Very Happy The front wheel drive must be hydrolic powerd via a pump?drive from where?Most interesting
Did you build the frame,

Ha ha,
I did consider making the drive hydrostatic but found a few major issues. A superbike can do 180mph, the pump and hydrostatic engine to drive would be rather large and heavy? about 85lbs of gear, plus fluid drive is typically a set ratio like 1 to 1, no differentiation. A Nitrogen accumulator would be needed for wide open throttle. I messed around with hydraulics and the parts to make it work started to get rather big
again after careful consideration I chose a mechanical design/setup, my frame has a "Porsche like" torque tube similar to the unit in a transaxle only smaller. power is split front to rear, and balanced in the headtube to eliminate torque steer and transferred down each side of the wheel to counter balance, eliminating torque steer in the front wheel.
The detailed method is now a US patent

Its a very clever,But I think it would not be allowed in Moto GP or other road racing as they say rear wheel drive only, So what sort of market would this be aimed at?and what are the advantages?Also if the front wheel leaves the ground (wheelie) would the drive be affected when it hits the ground? (snatch) regards Gaz

finding a class to race in will be challenging, need to slip into an open ruled body of racing if possible.
I do see this as the perfect street motorcycle benefits on poor roads, rain ,and sand etc...This particular bike will not wheelie. because the front is pulling just as hard as the back is pushing , as a side affect even my suspension travel is reduced . But in the event the wheel(s) come off the ground.. the driveline has what we call "percent locking" of the applied torque.. so it does what a normal bike would do if the lifted wheel is slower then it's contact, the tire takes the friction with a"puff of smoke" when it meets the surface at a different speed

thumbs

Beautiful looking bike Very HappyVery Happy . Congrats on the work and time spent and 10 out of 10 for application and dedication thumbs . Hope whatever direction you take it in works out for you. Keep any pics and updates coming cheerscheers

I love it I could as many questions on this project,the ECU must be the size of a table top.
Keep in touch on how things progress cheers. thumbs

@XS1100 wrote:
I love it I could as many questions on this project,the ECU must be the size of a table top.

what makes you say that? Suspect

@XS1100 wrote:

nah we've just done a pc 104 card(basically a laptop pc on one circuit board) at work thats about 8cm sq. Bet the ECU's the same size as any other.

@XS1100 wrote:

nah we've just done a pc 104 card(basically a laptop pc on one circuit board) at work thats about 8cm sq. Bet the ECU's the same size as any other.

I agree, i have some some major dinky sized ECU cards, ya have to wonder at the size of it, and they will get smaller at some point! Shocked

well chipset's will be going half the size for the same amount of processes in the next few months as they've just fit double the gates in the same space. In the next year or so the gates will be so small that a rouge alpah w ave could set them from on to of or vice versa.

Erm sorry for the nerd out :P

well chipset's will be going half the size for the same amount of processes in the next few months as they've just fit double the gates in the same space. In the next year or so the gates will be so small that a rouge alpah w ave could set them from on to of or vice versa.

Erm sorry for the nerd out :P

thats ok, i dont mind a good nerding!

Shocked

hang on...that came out wrong! Embarassed
Laughing

Was ment in a figure of speech Smile I would think the electronic side of this bike would be quite big.
I would like to see how the wheel gets its drive.

@XS1100 wrote:
Was ment in a figure of speech Smile I would think the electronic side of this bike would be quite big.
I would like to see how the wheel gets its drive.

agree

nice work,I like it alot thumbsthumbs

I wonder if the bike is like the turbo's motodyne sell

na from what I can gather nowt like I thought the same.
Its very clever design more so than that I recon. Dunno about the advantages though.
It must suck a few BHP out the motor.

@XS1100 wrote:
na from what I can gather nowt like I thought the same.
Its very clever design more so than that I recon. Dunno about the advantages though.
It must suck a few BHP out the motor.

A 3rd party study (not my own data)used my bike in testing and some surprising things came up, 5 percent faster around a track rain or dry, which I love Cool which I must say I wanted to hear!
Now 20 percent less throttle angle for the same achievement of a rear wheel drive bike, and the theory is no wasted torque transfer coupled with minimal travel in the suspension. Fuel economy went up? " I was like what the F@#K" some unexpected even controversial good news!!! We even had to model the data to make sure it was honest..
we learned a few things that day/ the other side of differentiation/ Engine braking using both wheels when slowing or down hill.. all these things collectively become one big advantage.

"future" if I can do a carbon fiber frame and wheels ,then I can keep my weight under a current 2011 one liter production bike and maybe a direct cylinder injection system and fuel mileage would be grand

Thats very interesting would you intend putting this bike in to production at some stage?
Carbon fiber is the way to go to loose weight but hell expensive!
I like the idea of engine brake from both wheels.
is the front wheel linked to the gearbox sounds a silly question but I would have thought they need both to spin at the same rate.May be I should get my coat Sad

mostly you hear about all wheel drive in cars, but one thing that alot of people forget is when you sit in the middle of a 50/50 weight distrubution and a 50/50 split of torque transfer some amazing things happen. For me; All wheel drive in a motorcycle makes more sense then in a car Shocked
But im sure i'm biased

good looking bike and interesting concept congrats for making it reality keep us updated on your progress thumbs

What spec is the motor? Whats the BHP at the rear wheel?as the front wheel got auto clutch how dose it disengauge from the drive?excuse the spelling

998 cc making 200hp for 2012, the front wheel is always engaged, but the torque biasing is always active and adjusted front and back in 1/10th of a millisecond

200 BHP from a 998 at the rear wheel(or crank?) from normally aspirated motor is good,it this a motor of your own design? The GSX-R 1000 kicks out about 180bhp 12.000
your motor must be spinning fast.

I was at 175 with a Yamaha engine, but since I'm going to offer bikes I had to get a license agreement and only one company I found was offering running gear under license so I'm using a new/reworked Kawasaki engine

Ho I see your using Kawasaki ZX10R motor they kick out stock.199.86 HP (147 kW) @ 13000 rpm.
Any way have to go walk about catch yer later thumbs