Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardH

my dilemer

Ok just spent £300 on my new helmet and was nearly deaf when i got home from belgum, thats 3 helmets all loud with wind noise,( and I wear earplugs) I really dont know what to do.Here is my options
1. get a bike like a FJR (hide behind a screen)£6000+ and might not work
2. spend more on this with different screen etc £300+ and might not work
3. say censored and get a car head bang
This is reeeaaaaaaallly doing my head in, I was ready to leave the bike on the mway yesterday.
I'm going to work in a mo so wont get round to replying tonight but sometimes it takes a different person to see the answer.

Is this your first bike with a screen? They can take some getting used to and the amount of wind noise varies a lot from bike to bike. My VFR is much better than the ZZR12 for example. I went to a Shoei XR1000 which made a big difference but it's all about aerodynamics. And don't make the mistake of thinking a taller screen will reduce noise-it depends on shape, angle, your height etc etc. Smile

have heard good things about the shoei xr1000.

on a different note, only things that go wrong with the fjr1300 we have at work is the exhaust headers crack (£700 for new!) and if you dont use yamalube the cam chain tensioner can become noisy, lovely bikes though thumbs

Do you ride with your visor open ?
Are you just using foam earplugs ?

I've started suffering with tinitus in my right ear.

I have a suzuki touring screen on my Busa,

I've got a Shuberth C3 flip helmet (not cheap) but supposed to be quietist flip you can buy. Despite this

I've also had custom earplugs made again not cheap BUT they work.

Also I can still hear my TomTom rider on the go thumbs

Oh I also keep the baffles in my Yoshi's

@Grumpyowl wrote:
Do you ride with your visor open ?
Are you just using foam earplugs ?

I've started suffering with tinitus in my right ear.

I have a suzuki touring screen on my Busa,

I've got a Shuberth C3 flip helmet (not cheap) but supposed to be quietist flip you can buy. Despite this

I've also had custom earplugs made again not cheap BUT they work.

Also I can still hear my TomTom rider on the go thumbs

Oh I also keep the baffles in my Yoshi's

I also have a Schuberth C3 flip and custom ear plugs so can agree with the above

are they flip helmets, i always founjd them, noiseyer? my arai is quiet, but i get a thudding noise at time that rings my ears. when dont ear plugs do the job then?

i usually use ear plugs but keep losing them Laughing the fjr is a great bike make sure the swingarm bearings are well greased though and youll love the shaft drive thumbs

are they flip helmets, i always founjd them, noiseyer? my arai is quiet, but i get a thudding noise at time that rings my ears. when dont ear plugs do the job then?

If your asking about foam plugs Chad they are a one size fits all, but they don't not for me any way I've got small holes in my ears and could not get them to stay in.
For me the expense for custom ear plugs is more than justified and cheap compared to going deaf ("PARDON")

The Shuberth is a flip with in built visor (German) they make the BMW helmets and for Plod etc.

I've Had 3 Arais before this and swore by them very comfy but they did move a bit squasing my nose at certain speeds also had turbulance.
The C3 took a bit of getting used to but does not move at any speed and does not suffer turbulance quality bit of kit thumbs

I've said it many times before but its worth giving these plugs a try if you haven't already. They are ok for smaller ear canals too as once rolled between thUmb and finger they become quite thin and once they've expanded are very comfortable too.

i got a pair of these plugs but could not get my helmet on.

@jezza wrote:

I think they're really meant for buttheads mate. Laughing

@jezza wrote:

I think they're really meant for buttheads mate. Laughing

foflfoflfofl

it's all about aerodynamics. And don't make the mistake of thinking a taller screen will reduce noise-it depends on shape, angle, your height etc etc. Smile

agree Sometimes it's quieter to have your head fully in the wind than in the noisey turbulent air around the edge of the screen.

Dunno what lid you have but if it has loads of air ducts that won't help.

@Robbie wrote:
I've said it many times before but its worth giving these plugs a try if you haven't already. They are ok for smaller ear canals too as once rolled between thUmb and finger they become quite thin and once they've expanded are very comfortable too.

I agree with Robbie I use these too there a lot better than the ones jezza uses affraid

@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:

I agree with Robbie I use these too there a lot better than the ones jezza uses affraid

you can't knock anything till you have tried it Laughing

sounds more of a helmet/earplug issue rather than the bike/screen to me rich

I would start with the cheapest option if it were me and try some different earplugs as suggested thumbsthumbs

ITCHY wrote:
Ok just spent £300 on my new helmet and was nearly deaf when i got home from belgum, thats 3 helmets all loud with wind noise,( and I wear earplugs) I really dont know what to do.Here is my options
1. get a bike like a FJR (hide behind a screen)£6000+ and might not work
2. spend more on this with different screen etc £300+ and might not work
3. say censored and get a car head bang
This is reeeaaaaaaallly doing my head in, I was ready to leave the bike on the mway yesterday.
I'm going to work in a mo so wont get round to replying tonight but sometimes it takes a different person to see the answer.

What i can say is, wind noise on the FJR will be the same. Its either fine for pillion, or fine for rider as i have found out, butt not for both. A good set of ear plugs are deffo worth a shot, although i've got one helmet that is dead silent. Scorpion EXO1000, yeah its a bit of dosh but very quiet and a good set of ear plugs for the other helmets. A taller screen might help out but wont silent it completely!

although i've got one helmet that is dead silent. Scorpion EXO1000, yeah its a bit of dosh but very quiet and a good set of ear plugs for the other helmets

That's the exact helmet I have just brought head bang
But on the FJR front, I wont be taking pillions.
Robbie I have just ordered those earplugs and a few others, going down the process of elimination path.
My plan now is
1. different earplugs
2. try the same helmet on the Bandit
3. lower my screen to its lowest and try again
4. try a different screen
5. get one of those butt plugs

[quote="ITCHY"]

5. get one of those butt plugs

It won't reduce the wind noise but it may very well take your mind off it! Laughing

there is a lining in the cloud Rich

if you carry on riding without any earplugs your hearing will get
destroyed then the noise wont bother you, Shocked

I find on the bandit just moving slightly in the saddle helps to reduce the turbulence that causes the noise and the use off expanding earplugs makes it comfortable to ride long distances without developing tinnitus

you wont regret buying the screen rich i had one on me 1200 bandit and they are very good thumbs

@Neill wrote:

I find on the bandit just moving slightly in the saddle helps to reduce the turbulence that causes the noise and the use off expanding earplugs makes it comfortable to ride long distances without developing tinnitus

I never ride without earplugs but they seem to be becoming a problem keeping them in my ears, or at least in properly

ITCHY wrote:
@Neill wrote:

I never ride without earplugs but they seem to be becoming a problem keeping them in my ears, or at least in properly

Wait 'til you get the ones I recommended, I'll be surprised if they don't go along way to solving your problem.

@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:

agree i use them also Robbie £2.99 for 4 cant go wrong thumbs