Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

Tyres, when do you replace yours?

What sort of condition are your tyres in when you replace them? This is mine which will be replace on Wednesday, Would be interesting to get a general idea of what condition most people would replace there's at!

The centre of the tread is about ready to disappear and my new Maxxis rear should arrive tomorrow. thumbs

if it hits the limit, or go square.

or on other hand i have tuned tyres triangle before, the sides went bald :/ ooops, they had to go

I do tend to replace mine a little early than most, but I think the VP2 is getting too low in the middle. Mind you, I buggered up a BT021 on a run up to Yorkshire and back! had 3mm tread when we left, was below the wear mark and bubbling when we got back Shocked

@fr499y wrote:
I do tend to replace mine a little early than most, but I think the VP2 is getting too low in the middle. Mind you, I buggered up a BT021 on a run up to Yorkshire and back! had 3mm tread when we left, was below the wear mark and bubbling when we got back Shocked

my old zxr400 had the not on the not for road use rubbed off. had old track tyres on, did 20 miles to maidstone and 20 back and they were peeling. they didnt like the motorway

Another thing that seems to be mixed is, the 3/4 rule. Is it 3/4 of the WHOLE tyre, or 3/4 of the center of the tyre?

I like to get rid when they square off, unless I'm in poverty-mode, in which case they stay until they get to borderline legal levels of tread.

Just replaced the rear on my ZZR, bit disappointed there was some tread left in the centre but I won't have time to do in the next couple of weeks. It was only about 0.1mm though Laughing

@fr499y wrote:

That ain't early it needs changing. Get the plod on a mission stopping you and you might just get 3 points and £60.

As for the BT021 that is just about what to expect.

@Kenb wrote:
@fr499y wrote:
Another thing that seems to be mixed is, the 3/4 rule. Is it 3/4 of the WHOLE tyre, or 3/4 of the center of the tyre?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Tyres/2009/July/jul1609-make-sure-tyres-are-legal/

If its the same as a car 3/4 of the tread unbroken(a bit either or one side but not the middle)
Oh and about 2mm or if the handling goes naff Very Happy

When the belting was showing once. THAT was seriously scarey trying to corner, had 100 miles to get home and no money or credit card

Now as soon as it starts getting skittish in the corners,

Ok sorry to be a geek on this.

I was a tyre fitter for 20 years and the only bike tyre fitter in Cardiff and i still fit all my own bike tyres.

The law on bike tyres
1mm over the hole tyre was the limit, but then the law came out for cars that is was 1.6mm then the 3/4 law came out.

If you have 1.6mm or more on 3/4 of you tyre and on the rest there is no canvas or wier showing then the tyre is still ok. (car)

But do not give the coppers shit if they tell you about it.

On your bike

As long as you have no canvas or wier showing and you have 1mm or more on the sides (center always go first) of the tyre you are ok.

But keep an eye on your tyres when you get to the twi (twi is on the side of the tread) Tread wear indicator as the tyre will wear out a lot faster when you get down to them.

Repairs.

You can put a plug in to a tyre (front or rear) I have run a GSXR1100 rear tyre with 4 plugs in at 140 mph and all ok.

If you get a puncher on a new tyre and take it in to a shop they will tell you, you have to have a new one. but when i work at a shop they loved this as if they had a 2nd hand bike that needed a tyre they would put a repair in your old one and put it on the bike and sale the bike.

If you go to the shop and they tell you you need a new tyre (if it still got lot of tread on it) get it sent to your house there will be a tyre shop that will repair it for you and if your not happy to ride on it then put it on ebay as some one will have it for track daying or for there road bike if it is cheep and you get some money for it to cover your new tyre.

Hope this helps

@finger wrote:
Ok sorry to be a geek on this.

I was a tyre fitter for 20 years and the only bike tyre fitter in Cardiff and i still fit all my own bike tyres.

The law on bike tyres
1mm over the hole tyre was the limit, but then the law came out for cars that is was 1.6mm then the 3/4 law came out.

If you have 1.6mm or more on 3/4 of you tyre and on the rest there is no canvas or wier showing then the tyre is still ok. (car)

But do not give the coppers shit if they tell you about it.

On your bike

As long as you have no canvas or wier showing and you have 1mm or more on the sides (center always go first) of the tyre you are ok.

But keep an eye on your tyres when you get to the twi (twi is on the side of the tread) Tread wear indicator as the tyre will wear out a lot faster when you get down to them.

Repairs.

You can put a plug in to a tyre (front or rear) I have run a GSXR1100 rear tyre with 4 plugs in at 140 mph and all ok.

If you get a puncher on a new tyre and take it in to a shop they will tell you, you have to have a new one. but when i work at a shop they loved this as if they had a 2nd hand bike that needed a tyre they would put a repair in your old one and put it on the bike and sale the bike.

If you go to the shop and they tell you you need a new tyre (if it still got lot of tread on it) get it sent to your house there will be a tyre shop that will repair it for you and if your not happy to ride on it then put it on ebay as some one will have it for track daying or for there road bike if it is cheep and you get some money for it to cover your new tyre.
javascript:emoticonp('thumbs')
Hope this helps

Bit dodgy thoes repairs Laughing read below thumbs

Only two repairs per tyre are allowed up to the J (62mph) speed rating, and one up to the V (over 130mph with 155mph maximum) speed rating. Up to the J rating, repairs no bigger than 6mm are allowed, and up to the V rating only up to 3mm is allowed. thumbs

ITCHY wrote:
when the MOT guy says you've failed mate SadSad
or the police say heres 3points LaughingLaughing

When the canvas starts to resemble the bottom of a tramps trouser leg, only then will I consider starting to look around for some new ones. salute

Yep the cops & mot man can always tell you as well head bang

As for the repairs yep you are right to stay with in the law

But as i was doing the repairs and putting the tyres on my bikes i did go up to 4 in the rear tyre on my 1100 and did about 140mph on it all was ok.

But if your not happy with plugs go with the new tyre

@finger wrote:
Yep the cops & mot man can always tell you as well head bang

As for the repairs yep you are right to stay with in the law

But as i was doing the repairs and putting the tyres on my bikes i did go up to 4 in the rear tyre on my 1100 and did about 140mph on it all was ok.

But if your not happy with plugs go with the new tyre
LaughingLaughingthumbs