Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dick65

need some advice

been looking at top boxes fancy a change from soft panniers and was wondering if these are any good,id be able to fix a universal fixing plate to my renntec rack
im trying to work out what size this first one is and would you reckon it would take a full size lid?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400310582126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

was also looking at this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380416378684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

cheers folks thumbs

i put a Givi top plate on one for the RF . works well

I've got nothing but praise for Givi Dick. My pannier has actually taken the full weight of the bike twice-and it's no lightweight- when it's rolled off the stand and survived with just a few scratches. Nicely made, will leak in extreme weather but effectively waterproof. And they provide a comprehensive spare parts service. thumbs

Think I'd go with the Givi Dick but I would just measure your lid cos 37.5 cm in height might be a bit tight?

I've got nothing but praise for Givi Dick. My pannier has actually taken the full weight of the bike twice-and it's no lightweight- when it's rolled off the stand and survived with just a few scratches. Nicely made, will leak in extreme weather but effectively waterproof. And they provide a comprehensive spare parts service. thumbs

i reckon givi gets the vote then Smile i'll be using it for commuting and the odd weekend away and chucking my helmet in,just wondering if i should go a size larger hmm?
cheers lads thumbsthumbs

Think I'd go with the Givi Dick but I would just measure your lid cos 37.5 cm in height might be a bit tight?

cheers mike,lids a size small could be a squeeze though thumbs

yeah thats what im going for,good quality and back up service but might get a slightly larger one thumbsthumbs

reliant robin van got my XL125 IN ONE years back lol

Givi is good gear, I bought mine 2nd hand and got ten years use out of them until I flogged them. They wear very well indeed. Don't think that I would go for one that small, 36l panniers wouldn't get my lid in but a 45l box would.

By the way, if you get the Givi 'monokey' plate as opposed to the 'monolock' Kappa boxes also fit straight on.

Always used Givi. Excellent quality. My V46 takes two full face lids and is not too large or obtrusive. Dont go too small.

I would suggest getting no smaller than 46L in size. better a bit bigger than smaller.
I was going to buy this one http://www.givi.co.uk/cases-top-case/monokey/V46
but it worked out cheaper buying a brand new 55L maxia off Ebay from a supplier direct from Italy than it did getting the V46 in England.
I would go with the monokey version over the monolock as it has a higher weight limit.

good advice lads im looking at a larger size givi now,makes sense getting the larger one thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
put a house on the back of it like daves box Wink

or this Dave's new topbox

hide
haha very bloody funny lol!

could always go with this "WIDE LOAD"

lol!
WTF thought it was a weekend away not a fortnight ShockedShockedShocked

@Stue11 wrote:

ShockedLaughing The only time I used all 3 was for 2 of us for longer than a week, and that included packing the laptop thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
put a house on the back of it like daves box Wink

or this Dave's new topbox

hide
haha very bloody funny lol!

could always go with this "WIDE LOAD"

lol!

Touché! lol! They do give you a good road presence though! Anyway I killed one coming back from the Lakes head bang , the right hand one has melted on the rear corner think due to the rain and the hot exhaust, there is clearance and I tested them first (I made it to the lakes with no problem!) so a bit of fibre glass is needed, think Marks going to give me a hand pint The more room you have the more useless crap you take, I proved that! lol! Now if that skip came in black I might be tempted myself Laughingthumbs

@Macie_UK wrote:
Givi is good gear, I bought mine 2nd hand and got ten years use out of them until I flogged them. They wear very well indeed. Don't think that I would go for one that small, 36l panniers wouldn't get my lid in but a 45l box would.

By the way, if you get the Givi 'monokey' plate as opposed to the 'monolock' Kappa boxes also fit straight on.

agree Got the "Monokey" plate on mine and the Kappa box goes straight on it. Looks like a reasonable quality as well thumbs

thats a sod mike,maybe you could shape it a bit for more clearence scratch

Jesus !!! .... Shocked

Are you lot moving house ?

I emigrated with less than you could put
in those box's.. Seriously.. I DID !

Jesus !!! .... Shocked

Thanks Tony LaughingLaughingthumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Jesus !!! .... Shocked

lol!lol!lol!

@Stue11 wrote:
Jesus !!! .... Shocked

Dont know why your so smug about it. I remember on last years ride out you took your bike AND your car Very Happy
So that makes you the winner for the biggest luggage box on a ride out
thumbsthumbs

@Robbie wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
Jesus !!! .... Shocked

Dont know why your so smug about it. I remember on last years ride out you took your bike AND your car Very Happy
So that makes you the winner for the biggest luggage box on a ride out
thumbsthumbs

Well said Robbie! thumbsthumbslol!
Dick I was thinking the same about shaping it and putting a heat shield on, or its just gonna happen again when I move house lol! Hope you get sorted with your box though mate!

been in touch with some givi dealers and they all said the universal fittings are hard to fit on a renntec rack as its lipped at the back and it makes the box unsafe one even said saw the lip off Shocked which im not prepared to do as its used for pillions and would make the rack weak so not sure what to do now as i dont want an actual givi rack as i use the renntec one a lot and i dont think you can get them for Aces either scratch

I suppose that you could knock up some sort of stand off frame to mount to the renntec rack so it levels out the mounting points - probably a bit of a faff, but do-able.

What about getting the givi monoplate, then the rack and box? that way you can take the rack/box off and leave the plate ( which is like having a rentec rack? ) or dont they do them anymore?

cheers robbie but ive just bought an oxford 44 litre top box £47 hein gerike down from £59 and the plate fits straight onto the renntec rack albeit with longer bolts,where as the givi needed lots of modification its not as robust as the givi but seems reasonable for the price thumbs

i dont know how you found those robbie i searched for ages m8,thanks anyway thumbsthumbs

It's all in the power of the thumbs WinkWink

To be honest just googled thunderace givi rack.

yeah i did Laughing least the oxford box fits, a good size as well

@Davehutch wrote:
nice 1 Dick , welcome to the "topbox" club Very Happy

Laughing there a handy bit of kit Dave im pleased i went for the larger size,whens stue joining? Smilethumbsthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

Laughing there a handy bit of kit Dave im pleased i went for the larger size,whens stue joining? Smilethumbsthumbs

He's already got one, he calls it a car. Wink

@Robbie wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

He's already got one, he calls it a car. Wink
agreethumbs