Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

laser wheel alignment

The first one is good enough Dave. Funnily enough its just down the road from me.

Right let put this one to bed Laughing the marks on the swingarm can be up to 3mm out on most bikes now i set mine at work with a Vernier Calipers , but i did buy a used laser tool . and when i cheeked my way was spot on , but the marks on the swing arm were out . so make you minds up on this one scratchscratch

i have always just used the lines on the swinging arm , but someone on the b-king forum has said he as done it on 3 different kings and that way it is nearly 10mm out affraid so its got me thinking head banghead banghead bang

I always measure from the swinger pivot to the wheel spindle.
Lasers are a bit fiddly and not infallible , and I do laser alignment on large rotating assemblies in power stations etc but before we put the laser on it we align it with a straight edge and feeler guages

i used to reply on swingarm makings however i onced used a steeel ruller and they lie, so i measure it all from now on!

Yep, swingarm marks can be out. Chain and wheel alignment are effectively the same, provided the motor is mounted properly in a straight frame. For mortals on the road a couple of mm out is nothing to worry about. There's lots of ways to check the alignment using readily available materials and tools YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND OUT on laser nonsense. However if you really feel the need to add to your collection of shiny tools buy a laser alignment thingy instead of a couple of tanks of petrol.

Old and Disgraceful racer2

@Davehutch wrote:
ok then lads so how do you align yours ??

Eyes thumbs oh and turning the bolts the same ammount of times on each side. if it looks level, it'll do me! never ran into a problem with doing it this way

@fr499y wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
ok then lads so how do you align yours ??

Eyes thumbs oh and turning the bolts the same ammount of times on each side. if it looks level, it'll do me! never ran into a problem with doing it this way
no and I haven't , it's just got me thinking if I could do it better

It would need to be badly out to have any issues. And if its bad enough to have issues, its bad enough to see. Most tyre places don't use laser alignment, they slap it back in and if it don't look right they adjust it for you. Just adjust at a turn ( or half ) one side at a time and save the pennies for some real bike goodies hehe thumbs or DIY laser pen

@fr499y wrote:
It would need to be badly out to have any issues. And if its bad enough to have issues, its bad enough to see. Most tyre places don't use laser alignment, they slap it back in and if it don't look right they adjust it for you. Just adjust at a turn ( or half ) one side at a time and save the pennies for some real bike goodies hehe thumbs or DIY laser pen
agreethumbs

Or 2 pieces of string one down each side then measure the distance from the wheel to the string at the front and back of the wheel.but the easiest way is to get off the bike,put it in first gear, jam the throttle fully open drop the clutch out and see if it goes in a straight line. LaughingLaughing

I measure the adusting bolt then measure from the wheel rim to the outer edge of the swingarm,always worked for me thumbs

The string method
http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1057

as said dave would need to be way out to cause issues and you would notice thumbs

Dave, I've done nearly twice the legal limit on a rear puncture and lived to tell the tale. It did feel a bit vague mind you Shocked I don't think a mm or two possibly on the piss is going to faze your rear wheel too much. Far better things to spend your money on than this sort of nonsense. Smile

Dave, I've done nearly twice the legal limit on a rear puncture and lived to tell the tale. It did feel a bit vague mind you Shocked I don't think a mm or two possibly on the piss is going to faze your rear wheel too much. Far better things to spend your money on than this sort of nonsense. Smile
point taken m8 and thankyou

Got this one Dave!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demon-Tweeks-Profi-Laser-C-A-T-Chain-Alignment-Tool-/190671939615?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D4134395690854097024%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D180969013238%26
Really easy to use just place the flat base on the sprocket then run the laser
along the chain shows if the chain is out of alignment as the laser runs along the top of the chain side plate thumbs

Or 2 pieces of string one down each side then measure the distance from the wheel to the string at the front and back of the wheel.but the easiest way is to get off the bike,put it in first gear, jam the throttle fully open drop the clutch out and see if it goes in a straight line. LaughingLaughing

upupup Works for me

I prefer my way though. I have a wonderful mechanical device called a "DAD". It usually works okay, but I also have another device called a "SON" which can be a difficult to use at times foflfoflfofl

Got this one Dave!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demon-Tweeks-Profi-Laser-C-A-T-Chain-Alignment-Tool-/190671939615?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D4134395690854097024%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D180969013238%26
along the chain shows if the chain is out of alignment as the laser runs along the top of the chain side plate thumbs

I know where to go to get my chain checked now thumbsLaughingLaughing

I just happen to have a straight length of 2" x 1" box section steel in the workshop leftover from making, believe it ir not, HD swingarms many years ago. I got the bike upright and pointing straight ahead then laid this straight edge either side of the rear wheel and measured distance from edge to front wheel rim at furthest and nearest points from the rear axle on both sides. Adjusted the rear wheel so these measurements were all the same. Alignment then spot on. Done it once only and marked adjusters/swingarm accordingly. I now adjust axle to same either side between my precise marks on the adjusters and swingarm.

Got this one Dave!

I know where to go to get my chain checked now thumbsLaughingLaughing

Your welcome anytime Mike thumbsthumbs