Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skelly

Job for today, fit this

I think its a common Honda problem, I had 2 reg/recs go on me both at around 25,000 miles. When they go they can go one of 2 ways either overcharge the battery or undercharge it, the first one undercharged and just ran the battery flat but the second one overcharged and fried the battery, left me stuck in the middle of nowhere with a smoking battery that looked like it was going to explode all over my electrics, that could have been expensive.

Common fault with the VFR this, and I too have been looking at a voltmeter or LED. Thanks thumbs 

BTW, a common mod is fitting a small PC type fan on the reg/rec, and on a lot of Hondas the R1 reg is a more reliable replacement. Smile 

Same one I was looking at Alan thumbs is it wired directly to the battery or via the ignition?

Black wire to Neg.

Red wire to Pos. either straight to battery or ignition live

I've gone ignition live

Just fit this to the Kawasaki ER5 I bought as a do'er upper as the Reg/Rec was putting out 18.5v and fried the battery, instr. bulbs and rev. counter and works great! wired to the ignition live as Alan suggested thumbs thumbs

Just fit this to the Kawasaki ER5 I bought as a do'er upper as the Reg/Rec was putting out 18.5v and fried the battery, instr. bulbs and rev. counter and works great! wired to the ignition live as Alan suggested thumbs thumbs

Nicely done thumbs  thumbs 

Bought there earlyer version last vinter and mounted on my GSX1400 , and works like a charm thumbs thumbs .

Flashing green when it's enought power and go Yellow when you need to engage the charger ,and when you ride it can monitor the charging that also have been known to be a problem on this bike model .

So guys buy one you wont be disapointed thumbs .

Cheers Maveric

@madsod wrote:
I use the CTEX one and i can charge my battery also cost £6.99 the charge do cost a bit more then some but used mine for over 4 years years now and still works great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-Battery-status-traffic-light-Indicator-lead-new-/120501678087?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c0e75b007

does it tell you if the batterys over charging?

very good!

ive got a proper posh all dinging all dancing voltage meter on the shelf, but it had 8 wires. and no instructions, got it from australia. had it two years now but no clue how to fit it!

rectifiers are a pain thou, my sv650 one went as dave will tell you at the camping. battery was swolen as anything!

@madsod wrote:
I use the CTEX one and i can charge my battery also cost £6.99 the charge do cost a bit more then some but used mine for over 4 years years now and still works great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-Battery-status-traffic-light-Indicator-lead-new-/120501678087?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c0e75b007
does it tell you if the batterys over charging?

The one above  does Chris, yellow - under charging, green -everything fine, red - overcharging which is the one which could be expensive if not caught thumbs and its inexpensive and works! thumbs