Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogmeat

Bandit GSF 600 Restoration Project

Recommended Posts

Hello all!

So I recently did my first project, instead of a long string of pictures I made a little video.



Hope you like it.

I'm still working on it, but nothing major to come.

E.G...
GSXR 600 K7 rear shock. (and trying to get it to fit).
Braided brake hoses.
Brake and clutch levers.
Many more stainless steel bolts.
Hand wind guards.
Front & rear fender extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top marks for the resto and the video dude  thumbs with extra man points for reassembling it in your living room  Very Happy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Top work like it

Welcome to the forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a right mess what a super job now very well done  thumbs thumbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God that was fiddly horrible work, in the cold, and the wet.

I'm never doing that again.

Lots of paint to touch up and the whole bike needs a good clean.



Rear hugger fitted.


Fender extender fitted.


Hoses changed front and rear.


Hand guards on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will find that a good mod done it myself on a good few bikes . but as said not the best time of year to do it . still its done now  thumbs thumbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@dogmeat wrote:
After a lot of swearing I got the old one out...



good mod that. I used a gsxr k8 one for my bandit made a brilliant difference.  thumbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@haveugot1 wrote:
@dogmeat wrote:
After a lot of swearing I got the old one out...



good mod that. I used a gsxr k8 one for my bandit made a brilliant difference.  thumbs 



Really? I hope it does on mine, always felt soggy before.

If I may...

Did you have buy longer bolts for the suspension lever?

The reason I ask is I had to use washers as 'shims' to move the dog bones around the new (wider) spring. Because of that the bolt that goes through and holds the dog bones in place is a little short now.

I.E the bolt does not quite reach through the nut anymore.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I used the same bolts tom. And yes I had to shim it up.if there that short I would change them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some heated grips for my birthday....




Used a piggyback fuse to the ignition circuit so I cant forget to switch them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice one ive got the old style oxfords on my thundercat wired to the ignition   thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the oxfords on my bandit really good but when its really cold the out side of your hands still get cold, not going to fit them on my zed I have bought a really good pair of gloves and will wait until it warms up .  Laughing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another update for you.

I had an annoying oil leak from one of the oil return pipes at the front of the engine.

Decided to rip the engine out and get the head off to fix it. While I'm there I'm planning on doing some cleaning/painting and lapping the valves.

Problem is one of the bearings for the exhaust cam is chewed up. I think I'll just buy a used head off eBay and make up 1 good one from all the bits.











Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't the head I'm going to use but it was a good way to see how well cleaning goes.



Before and after.


Experimented with a bit of lapping...



Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
salute 

Thanks guys, I will do.

Just bought a replacement head off eBay, I'll start cleaning her up asap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost finished head



Anyone know a where I could order replacement plugs for the bit I'm pointing at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Davehutch wrote:
sorry m8 cant help you but that head looks nice and clean  Cool 


Tanks mate!

I must admit by the time i was finished getting the carbon out I thought I was nearly done, then came lappiing the valves.

God it's boring.

I just hope it all seals properly.  Rolling Eyes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@dogmeat wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
sorry m8 cant help you but that head looks nice and clean  Cool 


Tanks mate!

I must admit by the time i was finished getting the carbon out I thought I was nearly done, then came lappiing the valves.

God it's boring.

I just hope it all seals properly.  Rolling Eyes 
long time ago since I ground any valves in  pipe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@dogmeat wrote:
Almost finished head



Anyone know a where I could order replacement plugs for the bit I'm pointing at?


cant you tap them out. Then two bolts with copper washers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@madwilly wrote:
@dogmeat wrote:
Almost finished head



Anyone know a where I could order replacement plugs for the bit I'm pointing at?


cant you tap them out. Then two bolts with copper washers


Dont worry, I just managed to find some!

 thumbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched this through again and just love the video, great restoration.  thumbs thumbs 
Bit late, have used these many times in the past for my Bandit Tom great service.

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/GSF%20-%20BANDIT/GSF600/S-X%201995-1999%20Mk1%20Naked%20And%20Faired/gsf600mk1cylhead.htm
# 25 and 26 on the schematics
Great work!  thumbs thumbs thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I finally got the engine back in!

Here is a quick video of first start up...





I was relieved to say the least when she started right up.

No taps or rattles or clunks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final pics...





Time to let her go, she is up for sale now.

I will miss her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Davehutch wrote:
Shame that after the hard work you have done , are you replacing her ?


I know, but I do need to move on so I bought myself a cb600f.

I wanted fuel injection and something a bit lighter and more modern.

I'm not dissapointed, she is lighter and faster, but lacks the soul of the bandit.

Left: before                                       Right:After cleanup



I used OPTIGLANZ to clean years of crap off the exhaust, it worked really well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@dogmeat wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
Shame that after the hard work you have done , are you replacing her ?


I know, but I do need to move on so I bought myself a cb600f.

I wanted fuel injection and something a bit lighter and more modern.

I'm not dissapointed, she is lighter and faster, but lacks the soul of the bandit.

Left: before                                       Right:After cleanup



I used OPTIGLANZ to clean years of crap off the exhaust, it worked really well!


looks nice! i test rode the cb1000r i know what you mean by missing the soul. why i bought an aprillia and have expensive bills for it  Laughing 

brilliant bikes those hondas though, go on forever my mates has 68k on it and still going strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...