Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bladerunner

Windows 10

Apparently Microsoft aren't happy that millions of people are perfectly happy using windows 7 and are offering 10 free for a limited period. Whats the advantages, why should we upgrade to a system thats completely different to what we know. What is it with the computer/technology people who seem to think everything needs upgrading and "improving" every few months just when you've figured out how the old system works. ( take note Apple)

tried and tested.

Basically its the best of 7 and best of 8 combined. You still have the metro apps but on the side of the standard windows 7 start bar.

Its quicker than windows 7, sadly is flat like windows 8 and still doesn't shut down when you press shutdown ( goes into a strange state of hibination! hence why its so fast at booting up )

Best bit is its free upgrade for the first year, even if you are using non genuine windows 7. Depending on what version of windows 7 you currently have ( or windows 8 ) depends on which version of windows 10 you end up with.

Its not that they are not happy with windows 7 users, its just they are given more people the chance to upgrade to windows 10 without paying. Also a good way to get the disappointed users who didn't want windows 8 to still get a new operating system Smile If anything, windows 10 is more like windows 7 than windows 8 would ever be!

Running windows 95 at work! pipe Im surprised they even switch on, let alone compute anything, they are forever crashing! help I'm still on vista which does me, windows 10 is another planet away Laughing

Running windows 95 at work!  pipe   Im surprised they even switch on, let alone compute anything, they are forever crashing! help I'm still on vista which does me, windows 10 is another planet away Laughing
got to move with the times like us young uns ay matt ?

applied for my free windows 10 - not sure what it is but its free LaughingLaughingLaughingthumbsparty

from what i've heard, many coders used if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) when coding which would determine if the user was on windows 95 or 98. They recon this would of caused issues if windows 9 was released ( i personally don't believe it ). Legacy code and all that shiz!

I've recently bought a laptop with W/ 8.1 & found it strange to start with, and preferred W/7.
Curry's are going to update it to W/10 as & when.. but I have no idea what it will be like,
any-ways it wont cost anything--so why not ?. Rolling Eyes

Received an email saying I would get my free update end of July Smile

No one finds it a little odd that a well known bunch of greedy half developers known as Microsoft are giving away their latest operating system? It looks like a desperate act to me-and given past releases, I'd be really careful here. Be sure you have a retreat path if it all goes horribly wrong. Remember Vista Shocked or W8 for that matter.

well Im going to have a go I am normally about 3 years behind with technology so I am going to be one of the first for a change Smile don't think I understand it enough to worry. Daves the techno expert in our house thumbs

No one finds it a little odd that a well known bunch of greedy half developers known as Microsoft are giving away their latest operating system? It looks like a desperate act to me-and given past releases, I'd be really careful here. Be sure you have a retreat path if it all goes horribly wrong. Remember Vista Shocked or W8 for that matter.

----------
????????
Dont you think the upgrade is worth doing S'Jack? is it a case of change, for changes sake?
I'm getting used to 8.1---what advantage would 10 be, do ya think?.. confused

The reason they skipped windows 9 is because they are being outdone by apple who do not name their upgrade software in consecutive numbers but stylish names. So for example a software upgrade that is targeted for gamers would be called windows devil ware or one for the financial sector would be windows empire etc. etc. That ties into the next point. It is very likely windows 10 will be the last one you buy. They may come free in future. The caveat (sic) being you will in future lose your right to decide that you want an upgrade. They will just do it. As the software world is evolving very fast, it gets expensive to keep developing windows 7 security updates for those who like it, windows 8 for those who like it and so on. Remember the uproar when they got rid of windows NT.

well technically Windows NT is still alive and kicking. Without it there wouldn't be a Windows at all, NT is the kernal.

Windows 7 - NT 6.1
Windows 8 - NT 6.2
Windows 8.1 - NT 6.3

Windows 10 - NT 10

Interesting little snippet:

Windows 10 is famously ‘free’, but Microsoft has been worryingly silent about just how free it really is. Now, only 17 days before release, leaks suggest ‘free’ Windows 10 might not be a good deal at all…

The news comes from ComputerWorld which attained Microsoft internal slides that strongly suggest many Windows 10 owners will have to start paying to receive updates within two years. The key lines ComputerWorld discovered are:

“Revenue allocated is deferred and recognized on a straight-line basis over the estimated period the software upgrades are expected to be provided by estimated device life…. [The estimated device life] can range from two to four years.”

‘Device life’ is the key phrase here. Microsoft has already stated revenue earned from Windows 10 must be deferred because of the free upgrade model (cash isn’t taken upfront), but it repeatedly stressed Windows 10 owners can expect to get free updates for the “supported lifetime of the device”.

Windows 10 is famously ‘free’, but Microsoft has been worryingly silent about just how free it really is. Now, only 17 days before release, leaks suggest ‘free’ Windows 10 might not be a good deal at all…

The news comes from ComputerWorld which attained Microsoft internal slides that strongly suggest many Windows 10 owners will have to start paying to receive updates within two years. The key lines ComputerWorld discovered are:

“Revenue allocated is deferred and recognized on a straight-line basis over the estimated period the software upgrades are expected to be provided by estimated device life…. [The estimated device life] can range from two to four years.”

‘Device life’ is the key phrase here. Microsoft has already stated revenue earned from Windows 10 must be deferred because of the free upgrade model (cash isn’t taken upfront), but it repeatedly stressed Windows 10 owners can expect to get free updates for the “supported lifetime of the device”.
but whats the answer if you want to move with the times ?

So - being a bit dim here is the device windows 10 or the computer u put it on. If it's the computer surely u buy a new one at the end of its lifetime which will have a totally new operating system (the Windows 10 bit I mean).

If the device is Windows 10 - it's saying u still get free updates for the supported lifetime - suppose the question is what's the difference between the supported and actual lifetime and what happens if u don't have the updates?

I understand that, but Microsoft appears to be arbitrarily setting a device life and offering free upgrades within that lifespan.

I understand that, but Microsoft appears to be arbitrarily setting a device life and offering free upgrades within  that lifespan.

Totally agree but they all do what they want anyway in the end. I Wil make sure I save anything important that's on my computer and just go for it Smile . What's the worst that could happen .......

@Davehutch wrote:
well mines downloaded and I like it computer

I'm not sold on it yet, will run it till end of next week and see how easy i can break it!!

So far bugs i have come across in less than 24 hours are:-

1) Doesn't activate straight away, error codes when trying to manually activate. Seems to be a issue with the server side of things

2) Border doesn't carry on around the window like it should ( seems to disappear on the right side! )

3) can't unhide icons from tray IF you do a full install ( option seems to be missing ) but can from a upgrade

4) Change product key button doesn't work

5) slow at loading programs. Delay after pressing the icon!

@Davehutch wrote:

did you have to back up your hard drive before you installed it Dave? just a bit worried about losing all my photo's even though a lot of them are crap.

@Davehutch wrote:

did you have to back up your hard drive before you installed it Dave? just a bit worried about losing all my photo's even though a lot of them are crap.
no m8 you don't loose anything

Mine was updated to 10 today---seems fine---like it so far,-- better than 8.1 for sure.. thumbs

@goferit wrote:
Mine was updated to 10 today---seems fine---like it so far,-- better than 8.1 for sure.. thumbs

Well thats not hard Laughing

question for the techies out there. how do you delete a load of emails from windows 10 mail server, all i can find is to hold control down and click on each one you want to delete but I've got about 2000 to get rid of.

shift and down arrow will highlight as you go down Smile or select the top one, hold shift and click the last one Smile

@fr499y wrote:
shift and down arrow will highlight as you go down Smile or select the top one, hold shift and click the last one Smile

nope.. doesn't work

Do what i do, don't use the windows 10 mail app and use the Windows Live Mail software instead Very Happy Half the problem with these stupid metro apps is they work properly on a tablet/phone but not a non touch screen device.

i upgraded to windows 10. Worked ok for a couple of days. Then rearranged or threw away a lot of my folders. I can find some stuff but not others . bugger

Got a new laptop already had Windows 10 installed. Seems okay, but then it's a new laptop and already installed. Don't like the layout etc though.