Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
butterfly

Instead of a book, why not try the dream worksheet that is on the main website? I'm noticing that it isn't that easy to recommend books on dreams anymore because everyone has their own interpretation of how things should be.

Mia recommended the dream worksheet to me on one of my dreams that I couldn't figure out and it worked wonders WITHOUT understanding what the symbols meant. Now, for the most part, that's what I use.

This is just a suggestion...if you still desire a book recommendation than hopefully someone can share a good one with you. huggins

Blessings!

BF,

Here is a dynamic book to buy...It goes along with the Bible and it even gives you the scrptures.

Understanding The Dreams You Dream by Ira Milligan

You will love it

Good point Cholette I agree with you. I prefer to keep it scriptual myself and I know that is what Mia would prefer also.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

Yes, I'm with Cholette and Connie - I've been awed by what you can find directly from the Bible...I also use the site's dream dictionary and approach symbols using guidelines that Mia and Daph have provided regarding dream context, individual dream language (God speaks to us through symbols that will have a personal meaning for us), etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the reason Mia set up this site is because she found that a lot of other sources (even Christian) either don't really have a scriptural foundation (at least not consistently) or there is disagreement with the interpretation of some symbols and interpretation methods...Also from a website policy perspective, they actually discourage the use (or at least the discussion) of other sources outside of the Bible and Mia's teachings...she's trying to challenge all assumptions regarding dream interpretation and symbols, etc. and build a new foundation of knowledge that is 150% biblically based....check out Mia's and Daph's older posts and you'll see what I mean...

Blessings,

Lurdys

I understand what you're saying...this ties into subliminal dreaming, context, personal biases (personal history, frame of reference, personality, etc.), state of mind and other factors that can impact what/how one dreams.... Part of what you're describing is how individuals process information/situations intellectually and emotionally and how we retain them, thus how they would appear in our dream state...and I agree that these are valid influences and things to consider when interpreting a dream.

Where I get concerned with dreambooks is when we automatically equate a particular symbol with something because it came out of a dream book (cookie cut the dream). It is precisely because of the above that I get wary...individual life experience, context, emotions, etc. can give the same symbol a completely different meaning from person to person.

I think my only difference is that I would still start with the Bible. I understand what you're saying regarding the dangers of interpreting a dream biblically when it's not a dream from God. An incorrect interpretation can be as damaging as an incorrect verbal prophecy. And that's why it's important to adhere to the guidelines around dream interpretation - we're to pray to the Lord first for the interpretation of the dream and if it is from Him (He will let us know), when we receive an interpretation it should bear witness with our spirit, and it should be confirmed by two or more people.

Well, this is a forum to discuss ideas and grow through those discussions. If we can all commit to having a respectful discussion even it leads to a conclusion of agreeing to disagree, I welcome your thoughts (B-understand I'm not implying that you personally would be disrespectul, just the airwaves on the site have been volatile lately).

I do recognize that what I said doesn't cover it all but it wasn't my intention to cover it all in that one post due to time constraints. If you think I just covered the tip of the iceberg, chances are that I did so no problem (I was at work when I posted) - please add where you think I left a gap. If you have fundamental issues with and disagree with anything that I stated, then let's discuss more for understanding.

Blessings,

Lurdys

Butterfly -

Ultimately, most of what you said is in agreement with the 1st paragraph of my post, mine was the lunchtime, "I only have 10 minutes to post" version.... hee hee

Also, I need to apologize. I thought on one level that you were talking about dream interpretation books a la books on symbols, not the broader subject of dream interpretation, though after your clarifying post I did pick that up. sorry

I think we're on the same page. Idefinitely believe that psychology is an important part of dream interpretation as it directly impacts the dream's symbolism, context, etc. You will not get an argument from me on that - my educational background in based in psychology, so I have an inherent bias because (along with my Christian beliefs) those are the lenses through which I see the world.

I sometimes have wondered what Freud's or Jung's body of work would've looked like if they were Christians (although he wasn't a Christian, Jung did acknowledge that some situations require a spiritual awakening of sorts although he didn't call it Jesus)... thinking Anyway, those two psychologists are two icons in the field of psychology and a lot of their work was on the study of dreams. I can't think of a better place to start than to Google them or look them up on wikipedia then go from there...or even take a psych class on personality or psychoanalysis....

I personally think that Christian and psychological dream interpretation are indeed related. I do, however, think that when you read psychological references you have to be mindful of the fact that because these sources aren't always written from a Christian perspective, they're incomplete - not necessarily wrong and not all the time wrong, just incomplete. The bottom line is that non-Christian psychologists and Christian psychologists approach the body of work differently and that's what you have to keep aware of as you study this area or you risk taking in incorrect information. For example, I have a Christian friend whose husband left her for another woman. They're not divorced yet and, at the time, she was considering her next steps. Her non-Christian therapist told her that she should date other men to get out of her funk.... :huh: … now on one level, that’s just bad advice…but the fact that she would tell a married woman to date others is clearly unchristian. It’s like eating a pizza without the cheese – it can be done and even enjoyed, but it’s not complete…

More later as I have to go now (I still want to discuss the issue of where our dreams come from and what to do with them if we think we know), but one other important item that I want to address is your comment that suggested that what you got from my posts is that if one pursues the study of psychology dream interpretation that they’re “less Christian” than one who goes to the bible. :huh: I apologize if that is how my post read as that was never in my mind. My point, which was made in relation to dream symbol books, is that there is a risk of overreliance on them – just because a dream book says that a symbol has a particular meaning doesn’t make it so. To me, they oversimplify dreams. For me personally, I rely on the Bible or analyze the symbol itself to see what it means to me in real life, that's all...

Anyway, more later....