Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaiamaiden

omg i feel utterly helpless :(

my mum hasnt been very well this week, she has had a very bad chest infection with dizzyness and she is having trouble breathing, she is on anti biotics for it but she is very poorly. She is a smoker and she says she hasnt had one in 3 days and has just told me she never wants to have one again so she has packed them in after 40 years. But she seems more ill because of it, she has been crying, she looks down and out of breathe all of the time and i just feel so helpless, i actually feel like crying right now but i dont want her to see me upset Sad
So she is trying to fight off a chest infection and quite smoking at the same time, i think its too much for her to handle, i didnt even realise she had quit until today, i thought she just wasnt having one because of her cold.
Sorry i just wanted to talk to someone because i dont want her to see me upset Sad

Guest Guest

Oh my god! Stephanie, I really wish everything best for you! My mom quit smoking by eating much chocolate. I don't know if that will help, but it's a thought. I wish I could be there for you and to give your mum a warm hug.

Oh my! I'm soo sorry! You need some friens to talk with you... Poor your mom! I know how hard to be in this kin off situation, because about a year ago my mom's leg was so in pain, that she was crying all the time and she couldn't sleep... That's really hard for you and for your mom... Just keep strong and know that we are with you

oh no steph! it's a good idea for your mom to quit smoking especially since she is ill, but because she is ill AND quite smoking all at once, i think her body is probably more stressed out from the withdrawal of not smoking. how about getting her a nicotine patch and weaning her off? that will at least cut some of the craving while she is recovering. but for sure, actually smoking with a respiratory infection is a bad idea. your mom has the right idea hun, but it may be too much to handle right now...

Stephanie, that must be really hard for your mom and for you to see her going through that. I really wish the best for her, it's great that she is trying to quit but it's sad to hear that she's having such a tough time with everything. Has she been to see the doctor yet? Hopefully she feels better really soon, hang in there sweetie I know it's hard not to feel really upset. *huge hugs*

thanks for your kind words everyone xx
she has been to the docs, she is on anti-biotics, but she isnt taking patches or nicotine gum or anything, she is just chewing on the plastic cigarettte thing, i dont know what its called, she just looks so ill

i feel so bad for your mom steph! i've seen people with respiratory infections going through nicotine withdrawal... i really wish her the best! i will be praying for a speedy recovery for her and less stress for you!
*BIG HUGZZZZZ*

thanks everyone, if i didnt have you all for support i think i would go mad xxxxx

huge hugs for you and your mum!!

i guess it's not good idea to quit it at once!! Sad se should just reduce the number of cigarettes she has every day.. untill she stops completely!

my grandpa had the same problem... he tried to quit atonce.. but he just couldn't!

i hope your mum gets well!!

well im at my mums again today, she seems a little more cheerful, its been 5 days since she smoked and she's actually been laughing today

huge hugs to you and your mum!
hope she gets better

All the best wishes to your mum, and here's hoping that she has a speedy recovery. She's so lucky to have you for a daughter. Smile

Hang in there, hun.

I hope your mom feels better soon!

Smoking is really dangerous, and once you start you can't stop. So be careful, instead of regretting later.

Best wishes to your mum. The air's been very bad for bronchial problems lately, so she's probably had a double whammy.

Don't forget, to help smokers quit, the NHS have lots of help.
Did you take a look at smokefree.nhs and then dot co dot uk at the end?

so, it has been 5 days since she quit?? I am so happy for her. The first few days are the hardest...and sometime it takes something like a resp infection to help us decide when is the right time.
Have you talked to your mom about getting her nicotine gum? since it has been 5 days already, and if she is feeling better respiratory wise, she still will have the craving. so, i was thinking that if you got her a little bit for her to try, at least you did something to help her, even if it doesn't work. You will feel better about yourself that you are tyring to help your mom. I hope she continues her success. I am quitting in a week, and I am actually excited for it.

My prayers and thoughts are sent to you both.... keep smiling...and I am very very happy to hear that she is laughing...that is a GREAT sign Smile

she is still doing so great, the doc has asked her to use patches and she has but refuses to have them on her arms where they can be seen, but she IS using them, which is a good thing. Its been nearly a week and a half now i think, im so proud of her Smile

that is really great news gaia!!! i'm so happy she is feeling better and still not smoking!

Your Mum is doing fantastic hun...when you quit smoking you will always feel worse before you feel better, but once she gets the nicotine and all the other harmful chemicals out of her system she will really start to notice the difference...I know its been really hard for her to go through this on top of a chect infection and as Zoonie said the air pollution has been really bad as well so this has made things worse..but she will be 100% better off in the long run

http://www.stqp.org/quitsmokingtimeline.asp

Have a look at this hun...it will help you to give your Mum encouragement as you will be able to tell her the positive effect her not smoking is already having on her xx

I am so proud of your mother! You're a wonderful daughter and huge hugs to you.
I will keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers.She can place them on other parts of her body so they won't be seen like her shoulder.Just so that they can absorb properly.

hugs!

that is a fantastic site! i've bookmarked it. thanks for sharing that with us!

Stephanie, I am so happy to hear your mom is doing better and that she's been a week and half with out smoking! I wish her the best of luck and hope it continues!! *big hugs* to you sweetie, for being there for your mom and being such an amazing person!!

You should try and get your mom to play pet society!! It's a great habit to help you not think about things that are stressful!

Sandra (Stephs Mum) has got an account here...dont think she has used it for ages and I cant remember her username (my memory is shocking )

I'm sure Steph will remind me later congratulations

lol her account name is sammysprout lol she doesnt play it that much, she just pops on now and then and she lets me store some of my items at her pet Timmys house lmao

wonderful, fantastic news about your mum, steph... she has got one incredible daughter looking out for her.
you and your mom are inspiring... prayers and hugs sent your way... hope she comes on psfc so we could all meet her

Aww steph. I hope your mummy gets better soon. Its really horrible when you feel so helpless.

Try and stay strong sweetie. I know its hard but at the end of the day...Stary strong for your mummy. She will get better. She is a very strong person to be giving up smoking after 40 years. I look up to her for that. Well done to her.

She has to try and not get upset because if she cries then her breathing will only get worse. Try conforting her and take her mind off it...

w278iq10.jpg

Omg, the image that Pink posted is beautiful, Gaia I really hope your mom will be able to stop smoking
I know several friends who could do it, its difficult but not impossible